Project MJ

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow man i have never seen so much rust in my life. did you have this thing parked in the ocean?

Really? That's constructive criticism. It's not my truck and for some reason that comment bothers me. As Comanche Club President, I would like to apologize to you, driverdave, for the comments that were made by oregonman. Neither you or your MJ deserved it. Keep working at it, you are doing a great job! :thumbsup:

It's all cool, I have said that to a few friends I thought the old owner used the ocean as a parking space. Now if he called it a piece of s*!t I would be offended,

goblazers_6 Thank for the positive comments this is my first try at body work and my last lol.

went to take drivers side door off and ran into all the bolts were stripped, I don't feel like getting into grinding the bolt heads off so the door is staying on when I prime/ under coat/ rhino line every thing.

What do you guys/gals think should I paint the rhino liner black or body color? Right now it's primed but easy enough to tape and paint black again.

Rhino liner runs along the bottom from front to rear plus to the top crease on the bed ( I have pic posted before and after primer).

Color options so far are orange line or white line, I am trying to look at as many colors as I can I am using Auto Color Library, but the samples are small.....http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

It's fully primed now, going to rhino coat the pass fender and prime that, I ordered a case of undercoating today so when that comes in I'm hitting the inside of the fenders then putting it back together then next weekend i'm going to attempt to paint white on my test fender and see how it goes.

wow man i have never seen so much rust in my life. did you have this thing parked in the ocean?

Really? That's constructive criticism. It's not my truck and for some reason that comment bothers me. As Comanche Club President, I would like to apologize to you, driverdave, for the comments that were made by oregonman. Neither you or your MJ deserved it. Keep working at it, you are doing a great job! :thumbsup:

:doh: and i want to clear up i was talking about the axles and the coils. not the paint or interior or body work or anything else . only the front end image_209027.gif :cheers:

sorry driverdave . your mj is cool .. don't mean to insult you but i have never seen that much rust in my life. . but thinking back my truck does not have much rust because i had rear and front main seals leaking on my front axle but fixed those..... and your stereo system looks kick @ s s i like the bass tubes that is a good idea i have truck boxes and they take all the room behind the seat . but if you don't want to see that i would just buy a spray can of glossy black and some heavy duty sand paper or grinder.... make it look like this Or 10x better .... :cheers: jamminz.gif

:doh: and i want to clear up i was talking about the axles and the coils. not the paint or interior or body work or anything else . only the front end image_209027.gif :cheers:

sorry driverdave . your mj is cool .. don't mean to insult you but i have never seen that much rust in my life. . but thinking back my truck does not have much rust because i had rear and front main seals leaking on my front axle but fixed those..... and your stereo system looks kick @ s s i like the bass tubes that is a good idea i have truck boxes and they take all the room behind the seat . but if you don't want to see that i would just buy a spray can of glossy black and some heavy duty sand paper or grinder.... make it look like this Or 10x better .... :cheers: jamminz.gif

Don't worry I wasn't insulted by your comment, I have told friends it looks like it was parked in the ocean also, in fact I posted that comment on another jeep forum. If you saw the bed that looked like it went swimming also, the cab and nose were pretty much rust/rot free just full of parking lot dings, I mainly bought it because it has 86k miles on it. As for the stereo I have a set of 12" subs made a box to fit but like you said it takes up every inch of room, the base tubes are 6 1/2" with byilt in 100 watt amp each, I had 1 hooked up for a while and it sounded pretty good with 2 I should have a nice back massager lol.

custom weight reduction :thumbsup:i like how you made it look like rust damage,youve got a sleeper :banana:

that is a good idea with the 6.5" tubes,my brother has one sitting in his garage.

i may have to get it from him.

custom weight reduction :thumbsup:i like how you made it look like rust damage,youve got a sleeper :banana:

that is a good idea with the 6.5" tubes,my brother has one sitting in his garage.

Weight reduction :rotf: , I took off 3 lbs or rot and added 50 lbs of bondo :grrrr:

Weight reduction :rotf: , I took off 3 lbs or rot and added 50 lbs of bondo :grrrr:

don't call it bondo, it's premium lightwieght body filler :thumbsup: that makes it an upgrade over metal. :cheers:

I bought a rear bumper today figured I would remove the old one and realized the bracket it mounts to isnt worth scrap so I need to replace them., the bolts are so rusty 2 stripped the head from the looks I can't dirll it out I could grind the heads off but then how do i drill and tap the bolt holes again so I figure I might as well remove the bed, I can't see (might be in the rust some where :mad: any bolts so if some could post a pic or let me know i appreciate it.

I am holding off on painting it until I replace the rear axle which hopefully will be in a couple weeks. With the bed off I'm going to replace..

brake lines (master back)

axle

suspension (shackles, leafs and what every else) ( using all poly bushings)

drive shaft

u-joints

fuel tan

fuel pump

fuel lines

grind/sand frame

prime frame

under coat every thing i can

either convert to rear disc or get 8.8 with disc

So for now body work is just about done, a little more primer and I'm putting the body back together.

Considering how much rust in on the under carriage I did not brake any bolts, sliced my finger open and spare tire carrier hit me in the nose and cut the bridge so that enough bodily harm for the day. I just need to find a couple more people to help lift the bed off and push the rig forward. I found the bed mounts 4 are rotted pretty bad so they need to be replaced,Frame rot which I know I can have welded, brake lines now peeing out fluid at a good pace. once the bed comes off I will post pics, damn my face is sore lol.

I am glad now I decided to take the bed off, some of the work will be much easier standing up and doing it vs laying on the ground.

I was told be some people to make sure when I paint the mj to put it together first then paint the truck, I watch Chip Foose's guy do his paint jobs and when he paints for the most part he sprays the hood, doors, fenders all off the car and sprays that way. Chip's paint jobs are a lot more complicated than mine will be.

Guess I'm asking which way should I paint it, its apart right now.

I was told be some people to make sure when I paint the mj to put it together first then paint the truck, I watch Chip Foose's guy do his paint jobs and when he paints for the most part he sprays the hood, doors, fenders all off the car and sprays that way. Chip's paint jobs are a lot more complicated than mine will be.

Guess I'm asking which way should I paint it, its apart right now.

If you are going with a solid color, (white, black, solid red, white, blue etc.), you can paint it apart. If you use a metallic, or a pearl, you want to spray it together. (The base will lay differently if you are crossing the edges at different angles/times.)

Got the bed off today and flipped over, I do not see any thing that is not either rusted or rotted, brake lines in the rear leak fuel lines are junk, mounts are junk, so I'm going to start cleaning the frame tomorrow, any suggestions? I don't have a sand blaster just air/power tools and elbow grease.

Bought new brake line today, I paid the extra and picked up Copper nickle alloy line instead of steel I got a 25' roll for $40 bucks thats half price because I am real good friends with the owners, i'm going to run it this weekend if I get the frame sanded and primed.

While the bed is off and upside down I'm going to fiberglass the inside of the fenders (since they were rotted bad extra protection) then I'm going to rhino line the bed. Not sure if in undercoating or rhino lining the frame.

I would use Por-15 for something like that, good for 30 years so they say that's what I'm using to do the whole underside or maybe try rust bullet.

http://www.por15.com/

http://www.rustbullet.com/

It's expensive but seems worth it.

I undercoated the back of the front fenders, tomorrow i'm going to fiberglass the inside of the bed body maybe priming it still have to sand a bit more.