Tranny ID help

If you had a 1987 2wd 4.0 5-speed Sportruck what would you do with it?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a 1987 2wd 4.0 5-speed Sportruck what would you do with it?

• 4wd it and make it dedicated offroader
    • keep it 2wd and make it a sleeper, race truck

i'm trying to figure out what i have for a transmission, i have a 1986 Comanche 2.5L 4x4 with a 5-speed tranny, i know that i can't have a BA 10/5 because they didn't come out until 1987. I've heard that AX5 wasn't available with the 2.5L until 1987 also so that would leave me with the T5 right? I'm just trying to make sure i have my reasoning right because i've heard that the AX5 was avaible in 1986. thanx for any help in advance.

Lets see... 4 banger, 4wd, and a jeep :? What would I do :?:

I think dropping in a Np435, the right t-case input shaft, some serious metal butchering, and maybe a roll cage for kicks, some larger tires... and it is on.

We have a guy in the club running the same setup on his YJ, and the thing is Bad @$$. Goes where he wants it.. as long as he satys off the truly stupid lines. Crawl ratio of 75 to 1 :twisted: He has so much torque that he literally broke the block engine mount in half :shock: Yeah the cast aluminum piece on the engine ( made for a real long day, and a interesting story)

If you want a track beast find a s-10 or ranger and drop a small bvlock in it.

Patrick

4.56's and 31's :? :shock: Thats not a lot of tire for those gears. I know there are a million different theories on what gears, with what tires, But I am now rolling on 35's :D with 4.10's, but I also have an automatic :shock: Gas mileage... Yeah right... ease of driving oh He77 yeah :D . I was running 33's with this set-up, and it did well, then I came across a deal on my 35's so I had to step up.. if I don't like the way they roll, I will back back down to 33's.

I have found that wheeling a LWB vehicle you need larger tires, and a fair amount of lift to go places. The lack of breakover, approach, and departure angle hurts. Also it doesnt take that big of a rock to make it feel wierd.

Patrick

I used to run in a volunteer fire dept up in PA back in the day, and we had an old surplus M715 that we used as a brush unit/personnel carrier, and it was a TANK. It would go literally almost anywhere, just not too fast. Had a 4 speed with granny lo, and a very forgiving "military" clutch :). I spent many a night up on the mountain with that thing, and it never let us down (we affectionatly nicknamed it the "Pukin' Buzzard")

That's about what I'm trying to do with my MJ. I figure in a year or so the body will be bad enough (read: not worth the money/expense to restore) and I'll start chopping and building it to be the occasional driver, maybe take the plates off and drop the insurance.

Hell, it was a big enough step from 205 to 235's for my little 2.5 (she's getting tired, blowby is getting worse...), I figure 4.56's would do better for 31's (that I could fit w/ an AAL and spaces for cheap$$). If not, that'll just be an excuse to go bigger and fit 33's :)

It's never-ending, I suppose LOL.

Jeff

I forgot you have a 4 banger, and a manual :? Sorry about your lack of power man. I fit 31's before I had any lift. Might need to massage the wheel well lips, but that is all.

33's and 35's take a bit more work, but the recipe is simple. 6.5 coils up front, SOA, and custom leafs in the back. A fair amount of fender cutting.. and 35's fit. Auctually all I have to do is add some more bumpstopping, and I am golden. They fit with no issue at all. I do plan on extending my wheel base a lil, since I added the bigger meats. You have to love the adjustble Long arms :D

Patrick

BTW- I had an M715 a couple years ago great rig with 38.5x11.00 Boggers without a lift.

But the original engine was one of the worst ever and was only in the M715 to get rid of it. (Kaiser stopped using it a couple years before-it was only used in civilian rigs for about a year or two) That's why we swapped a 440 MoPar into it :D

My MJ is like a mini version of the '715- the bed cut gives a simlar look, but I don't think I'll add the fold down windshield. But it has a SBC for the same reason- the original engine was underpowered and not worth keeping.

sorry, talking about the 86, i realized it had a poll option and never played with it before so i had to try it out, i now wish i hadn't put that in there now

where would i look for the intermidiate plate?

The AX series trannies are split from front to rear with a plate in the middle- let me see if I can find a picture...

Let's try this one-

ax5_ax15illustration.jpg

Just for giggles, here is a 2wd T5 (Yours mabe a hair different, but the main body will be similar)-

T5-B20.jpg

In the upper picture there is an itermediate plate between the two parts of the tranny, the AX5/AX15 both have this. (It is pretty obvious when you look at it)

Good luck :wink:

the perpose of the tread was the tranny identification lol, i prob. should have put the poll in just it had nothing to go with the accual question.

Sorry for the segue Sled.......I did vote in your poll tho :) I voted to convert it to 4WD and run it. I did the same to my 87, and am so glad I did. If you want to make it a sleeper 2WD, the 2.5 ain't gonna cut it, and you'd have issues swapping in a 4.0L since it's an 86 :(

Go for the 4X conversion, and build it how you want to. The possibilities are endless.

Jeff

once again i'm really sorry i added the poll, it just made everything confusing, but thanx for all the info,from the pics i'm almost positive i have a T5, i'll have to crawl under after class today

I know that i have an external clutch slave cylinder...if that means anything