a/c bypass pulley for an 88?

do they make an a/c bypass pulley for an 88 4.0L? What does it look like? I bought one off ebay that was listed for an 88 cherokee 4.0L and it looks to attach like the newer ones with the 4 bolts, like 91 and newer.

Can't you just pull the A/C compressor and get a new shorter belt for a 4.0 Renix w/o air conditioning and route it appropriately? Like you say, the only A/C delete bracket and pulley assemblies I've seen are for the 91 and up HO 4.0 engines.

Can't you just pull the A/C compressor and get a new shorter belt for a 4.0 Renix w/o air conditioning and route it appropriately? Like you say, the only A/C delete bracket and pulley assemblies I've seen are for the 91 and up HO 4.0 engines.

I haven't looked it up in the dealer parts, but I am pretty sure this is correct...they are all for '91+.

Yeah only thing was I just bought a new goodyear gatorback belt a couple months ago... I was just thinking if I could get a a pulley I could reuse my belt, oh well. Anyone have a link to the non a/c belt routing?

Not to hijack, but I was just thinking of this today with my 87 2.5L. When I had the engine out last year, I replaced the radiator and condenser, though I knew the compressor is probably shot, just in case I'd want to get it going someday. So now the compressor clutch bearing is getting noisy, and I don't want it to seize and snap my belt. Can the bearing be changed on-vehicle? Should I just find another used compressor? I don't care if it works right now, but I guess if I'm going to swap it out, maybe I should find a good used one....thoughts?

Is there an idler pulley on old 2.5s? I wouldn't mind bypassing it for now, either.

Tom

I bought my "87 " 4.0 L without A/C, the bracket part number for this is [5300 2904 BRACKET, Idler Pulley Mounting - w/o Air Conditioning]. It has an additional idler pulley.

Sorry, I don't have a picture hosting site, so I can't post one for you. Doubtful that you could find one in the bone yard, chrysler has it listed for $61

Instead of putting the stock idler pulley there, move the alternator to that spot and run a 77" belt. The stock location for the alternator is one of the worst designs I have ever seen. I'm still kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I have a Renix A/C delete pulley and bracket available. $30 shipped. It probably needs a new bearing, but they cost about $3 at any parts store.

I find these in the junkyards every now and then. 90% of them have been for 87-90 Renix engines. I've only ever seen one that was for an HO.

Last I checked the bypass pulley is NLA from the dealer. They used to be worth their weight in gold for guys wanting to do the conversion and not having to "fix" the ac pump.

Within the last 2 years aftermarket support has stepped up and you can now buy them new for about $25.

eBay Link

Looks like the one for a HO to me :dunno:

• 13 years later...
On 1/7/2023 at 10:17 AM, wood walker95 said:

Looking for a ac delete assembly for 1990 Comanche 4.0

I believe after about about 10 posts the classified ads will open up to you. You may want to post in the wanted section there for more visible eyes once it's available.