Driving across the US I 90

Ibby

I'm a neighbour to the north in the Canadian army. I've been posted from Ontario back to my home town of Victoria BC. I'll be driving my '90 MJ basically from Syracuse NY to Seattle WA along the I 90 starting the 26th of May. I've got lots of time for the trip, and I'm curious if there's any good boneyards that have MJ's in them along the way. I'm always looking for bits and pieces here and there and I'm sure a few folks here might have a better idea than I do. I can't wait to make the trip.

I don't know of any JY MJs around here, but you're going to be zooming by about 8 miles from my house. You're more than welcome to stop by and rummage through my small stash of parts to see if there's anything you need.

Whoops, sorry for posting this in the wrong spot. Thanks mods for moving it.

Thanks for the generous offer Geonovast. There's nothing I actually need at the moment that I can't get at a parts store (wiper switch, stuff like that). I was just curious if anyone knew of good wrecking yards along the way that I could pick through to build up a bit of a collection of spare parts. This forum has made me aware of a number of parts for MJ's that are no longer produced, so if I can scrounge some of them up for later that would be a plus. I learned years ago that being prepared pays off in spades ;)

Thanks BBCchris, I know where that place is. Never stopped in there though, I'll give it a look when I go through.

Sorry dasbulliwagen, I can't say I know that person. Our military isn't huge but it sure is spread out. I've never heard of any special forces in Victoria, it's a navy base. They might have some very special forces there, but that's about it. ;)

not sure what time u will be thru but i will be in riply ny about 8:00 pm mon thru fri

we can have a meet and greet on your way thru

if not i live 15 min from 90 in ohio if u are thru here duriny the day i could come up there and meet you

no good jy whit mj's tho

if we meet in riply i'm sure wildman will stop by for a meet and greet :cheers:

Take one of the I-90 collars around Chicago..... The Kennedy(I-90) through there is a mess...

Great advice. I found this out the hard way when I came out east in the MJ in January. It was cool to see Chicago up close, but painful to drive through. I caught it during rush hour.

If you have lots of time, take a day and stop into Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio right on 80-90. This place has the most roller coasters and big rides as anywhere in the world if you like that kind of stuff. Its right on the south shore of lake Erie... wonderful place, look it up!

Some good parks along I-90: Mt Rushmore, the Black Hills National Forest, and The Badlands National park in South Dakota (all in the same area around Rapid City) and Yellowstone nation park in Wyoming (a bit south of the highway but totally worth just driving through). Be sure to bring a camera and a laptop to store all the photos you'll be taking. :D

Great advice on locations. I did the I90 east in early January to bring the MJ out and saw a few places I want to stop by on the way back. Mt Rushmore, Deadwood City, Devil's Tower. Badlands and Yellowstone are bonuses I didn't know about, I'll totally be going. I have a great little camera and laptop setup already. I saw my first ever Cabela's just off the highway in Rapid City. I'd seen them online but never went into a store. What an awesome place!

You should see the AC unit I'm installing. The MJ doesn't have any, so I added a second battery, large inverter and a household unit with duct taped dryer hose through the split window into the cab. Total ghetto fab but worked awesome in Nevada last summer.

Ok, pics it is. I had to reinstall everything as I switched AC units and put in better wiring. Did it up in a couple hours today. Here you go:

P5230001.JPG

Here's the AC unit, some wiring, connectors etc. The AC unit is a Noma 5500 BTU box. The remote control was handy for this project.

P5230002.JPG

A little 2 gauge welding cable with Anderson connectors added to the main battery. I put a second battery of the same type behind the seat in a marine enclosure.

P5230003.JPG

Here's the unit being tested after all the wiring was completed. With the compressor going and the fan on low it tells me there's 350 watts of draw. I think that's a little low, but I'll test it with a proper meter later.

P5230004.JPG

Cutting up the dryer hose. Standard 4" x 8' chunk cut in two, worked perfectly. I cut it on the chop saw for fun.

P5230005.JPG

AC unit in the bed sitting on an old mortar crate. It put the unit at the perfect height for running the hoses and power and being able to use the remote control.

P5230006.JPG

The inverter all wired up sitting on the floor. I'd normally have it behind the seat over the second battery, but as I'll have several items plugged into it for the trip I wanted to keep an eye on it a little more closely. There's also plenty of 12v plugins and a couple of drink coolers that make great holders that I installed for the trip.

P5230007.JPG

Here's the ducts. They're bunched up at the moment and can extend to the seat bottom.

P5230008.JPG

Reverse shot. This thing puts out a serious amount of very cold air. And yes, one of these days I'll fix that headliner...