For those that have a Ford 8.8

Besides the moving and re-welding of the perches what else needs to be done/changed when putting a Ford 8.8 rear in. The new rearend is going to be a 8.8 3:73LS/31spline/disk brake set up. Any help would be great, I have to decide on either this rear end or putting another Dana back in it from an XJ.

Thanks Yall,

Cody

Doesn't the 8.8 need some kind of spacers because of it being narrower than a D35 ?

Where is a good place to buy these spacers ?

This is kind of important to me because I'm doing an 8.8 swap also.(got all my old hardware cut off and ground down tonight)

Doesn't the 8.8 need some kind of spacers because of it being narrower than a D35 ?

Where is a good place to buy these spacers ?

This is kind of important to me because I'm doing an 8.8 swap also.(got all my old hardware cut off and ground down tonight)

I believe it is 5/8" narrower on each side. Depending on your wheel backspacing and tire size, you don't "need" a spacer.

Ok question, being that my truck is gonna stay at stock height for a while, if I do this swap will the offset of the yoke on the 8.8 cause any issues. I think it's like around 2inches more to the right, and I'm running the standard two u-joint 2wd driveshaft (one front/one rear). And how much modding will I have to do to the brake lines/porp. valve/etc? I understand the need to mod the e-brake cable and that's no biggie I just don't want to find out that I need to replace half the lines on the truck just to use this rear end. I know on the Rangers we'd just swap these right in without changing anything except the u-bolt plates b/c the shock mounts but I know that Jeeps are little different.

-Cody

I put an 8.8 in my old YJ, and I plan on putting the same axle into my MJ now that the YJ has been completely taken apart. What you'll have to do is weld on new spring perches and shock mounts. Also, if the 8.8 has a flange-style yoke, you'll have to change it to a yoke that will accept a U-joint or get an adapter to attach the jeep U-joint to the ford flange. All of these parts (adapter, perches, shock mounts, U-bolts, and plates) are available from M.O.R.E. and are reasonably priced. The offset of the center-section is no big deal, but the pinion snout of the 8.8 will make your driveshaft about 1" shorter. This was not an issue with the YJ, but I'm not sure if it would be with the MJ. Brake lines will be plug-and-play, but I'd probably take the opportunity to get rid of the load-sensing valve on the rear brakes. The E-brake will require adapter parts (available from M.O.R.E.) or a modification similar to the post above. The width difference of the axle is very small, but if your tires are really close to the inside of your wheel-wells, you may need to space them out. Spacers are about $100 and available from any off-road shop or distributor. This may all sound complicated or expensive, but I did the swap fairly easily for about $550 including the $280 I paid for the axle.

My whole issue is I need to get the truck back on the road asap, I really want to go with a 8.8 but have limited funds and limited time. I have acess to welders and what not, just have to drive like 20mins to get to it. I'm either going to have to drive to Spartanburg, SC (8.8 for $100) or GA (Dana35 for $0). With gas prices it would almost be worth spending the money for the 8.8 and the $40 for the yoke adapter, but time/money comes back into the issue. My whole thing is that I don't want to put a Dana 35 in it and then end up doing the swap like 3-4months down the road just to save some money now. :???: I'm confused, and tryin to convince my other half that it's worth the money to do the swap. Errrrr......

Any nickle you put into a D35 could have gotten you one step closer to a 8.8.

Think about that when you are doing a rear end again. :wall: Myself, I'm doing it one time, then moving on to better things, never looking back. :thumbsup:

I really hate to say this, but it almost sounds like a Dana 35 is all you really need right now. It might be a wiser move to save this 8.8 project for later on when you're adding in a lift. Have you tried car-part.com or our classifieds here to find a closer Dana 35?

That first one isn't out of an Explorer.

Ok, How about the sencond one. Are the parts good? What would be a reasonable offer? I was thining around $400.00 for axle, gears, perches, pads, and shock tabs. I am pretty sure thats everything I need other than the parking brake fix. Also, how hard is it to install the gears?

If youre getting a 35 from an XJ youre gonna have to weld perches anyways, so why not just go with the 8.8. Go to car-part.com as previous posters have said and find a good 8.8 from an exploder with limited slip, weld the perches, fix the park brake cables, and head down the road! :thumbsup:

Edit: Just looked up axles in socal area and found 2 pages worth at between 200 and 700 bucks for ford explorer between 95-01.

good luck!

That was my thinking. I have the 2.5L 4 speed manual 2wd and am trying to build a little prerunner. How important are the 4.88 gears or will what the 8.8 comes with be good enough?

p.s. i am running about 3" of lift and 31" tires

4.88 gears +31s + no overdrive = suckage.

If you're getting a 35 from an XJ you're gonna have to weld perches anyways, so why not just go with the 8.8.

Because that's about all that's needed. The 8.8 will require more monetary output, more energy, more time, etc. If his goal is to get this thing on the road again and soon, an XJ Dana 35 is a good choice. (and I can't believe I'm actually saying that :ack: but it's true)

Remind me, what's wrong with the current 35?

Well...nothing I guess. It was slower than a dog with stock radials and now with the new rubber it is even worse. I was just looking for a little added power and through reading other posts, gearing seemed to be my answer.

I am pretty sure it is 3.55 in a D35 :dunno: I am not even sure what gearing the comanche currently has. If there was an axle/gear ratio out there that came stock in XJ's that would show improvement I would do that, but at the same time, I only want to do this once if I decide to go bigger in the future.

2.5 4 speeds usually came with a 3:55, the 5 speeds usually came with 4:10. If the XJ axle is 3:55 like you say, you will see no improvement. I just swapped my 3:55 to 4:10 and I havent noticed a lot of difference at slow speeds, but I now find myself reaching for my not yet existant 5th gear, and it seems my speedo is now off by 15% or so. So it has made a difference. My original plan for my 2.5 4speed 2wd was also to do a prerunner, until a 4x4 donor fell in my lap cheap. If you don't want to do it twice, get a 4:10 8.8 and youll be much happier in the end. If you are just looking to get it driving till you can get a 4:10, find an axle from an MJ so you can just bolt it right in.I'm sure theres someone on here that would be happy to get rid of a decent 35 for almost nothing. Just post an ad in the classified section.

2.5 4 speeds usually came with a 3:55, the 5 speeds usually came with 4:10. If the XJ axle is 3:55 like you say, you will see no improvement. I just swapped my 3:55 to 4:10 and I havent noticed a lot of difference at slow speeds, but I now find myself reaching for my not yet existant 5th gear, and it seems my speedo is now off by 15% or so. So it has made a difference. My original plan for my 2.5 4speed 2wd was also to do a prerunner, until a 4x4 donor fell in my lap cheap. If you don't want to do it twice, get a 4:10 8.8 and youll be much happier in the end. If you are just looking to get it driving till you can get a 4:10, find an axle from an MJ so you can just bolt it right in.I'm sure theres someone on here that would be happy to get rid of a decent 35 for almost nothing. Just post an ad in the classified section.

The truck is good enough right now for me to wait for the 8.8 I have a line on all the parts and axle but it is looking like $600.00 installed. Not bad considering the disk brake upgrade on top of everything :thumbsup: , but that is more that I paid for my truck! :ack: