wheel spacers

I think you mean spring spacers...right? You want to lift it 1"-2"...??

If you put 1"-2" wheel spacers on it, I would not want to be anywhere around it going down the raod. Wheel spacers are not safe!

To answer the question...yes, you will need an alignment after installing spring spacers.

get the right wheels. i know way too many people that have had problems, and adapters coming loose. more people i've talked to have had them come loose then not, and if you're talking about just a spacer, not even an adapter that bolts onto the existing studs, then is a spacer with its own studs, stay away from me.

off road use only i've heard no probs, on the street, bad idea.

No, I mean wheel spacers. I already lifted it, I need to keep the larger tires from rubbing the sway bar link when fully turned by pushing the tire out an inch or two.

If you rub the sway bar link w. 31" tires somethings wrong. I'm thinking you might be rubbing the lower control arm (LCA) at full turn, si?

Who knows Dave. I thought this was an MJ forum. :huh???:

who knows, lots of things get discussed here. did not specify, and i see an xj in the sig, and i had the same issue w/ my xj.

a few of us here have xj's also, didn't know if you saw that? :dunno: :rotf:

No, I mean wheel spacers. I already lifted it, I need to keep the larger tires from rubbing the sway bar link when fully turned by pushing the tire out an inch or two.

Wheel spacers are definitely NOT your answer. Putting a wheel spacer that thick in there would just make them rub on hte body when you turn instead of the control arm...outside of the fact that it would be terribly dangerous.

Wheel spacers are definitely NOT your answer. Putting a wheel spacer that thick in there would just make them rub on hte body when you turn instead of the control arm...outside of the fact that it would be terribly dangerous.

While maybe not the answer in this particular situation, I strongly disagree that a good quality 1.25" spacer (Spidertrax) is at all "Dangerous" given proper install (with Locktite and Proper Torque and torque check). I've run them for thousands of miles (both on and offroad) on my TJ with ZERO issues and now have a set on the back of my MJ so my 31's wouldn't rub on the frame (with the OEM Gamblers with 5.5" BS).

I can't speak to the "joe-schmoe" ebay knockoff spacers, but I trust my safety and the safety of my kids on the Spidertrax spacers...

soapbox.gif

:yes: Yea...we have been through this one a few times, but I will NEVER believe that there is a safe wheel spacer built after what I have seen happen with them. One expensive mess was due to failure of the so called "good Spidertrax" spacer. I know many people use them and never have an issue, but the risk is more than I am willing to gamble on. ;) :thumbsup:

:yes: Yea...we have been through this one a few times, but I will NEVER believe that there is a safe wheel spacer built after what I have seen happen with them. One expensive mess was due to failure of the so called "good Spidertrax" spacer. I know many people use them and never have an issue, but the risk is more than I am willing to gamble on. ;) :thumbsup:

Once I can Afford my Walker Evan's or Poison Spider Bead Locks with the 'Proper' backspacing I'll get rid of em also...until then I have no worries...I've talked to the guys at Spidertrax and the failure percentage is minuscule...Chances are better of getting hit by lightning (my exaggerated analogy, not theirs). To each their own

One expensive mess was due to failure of the so called "good Spidertrax" spacer. I know many people use them and never have an issue, but the risk is more than I am willing to gamble on.

Taz, know of any link or docs to this Spidertrax spacer failure? I'm all for safety, and of course you know I'm not doubting you mate. :cheers:

I want to add 1" - 2" wheel spacers to accomodate the 31's. Do i need to get an alignment after the spacers?

Can you snap a photo of the sway bar contact? How much lift did you add? Is it contacting on one side or both sides?

One expensive mess was due to failure of the so called "good Spidertrax" spacer. I know many people use them and never have an issue, but the risk is more than I am willing to gamble on.

Taz, know of any link or docs to this Spidertrax spacer failure? I'm all for safety, and of course you know I'm not doubting you mate. :cheers:

Unfortunately not Don. This happened back in 2002-2003 era when I was working at 4 Wheel Parts, so it was in the firt 3 years of existance for the Spidertrax. May have been inferior to todays...who knows...

Wheel spacers are a very basic design done out of machined aluminum. There is nothing to fail with wheel spacers that wouldn't fail with wheels with less backspacing, so long as loctite is used where necessary, torque specs are measured, and, as with all wheels, retorque after 50-100 miles.

:banana: Go wheelspacers :banana: it's your birthday :banana: Go wheelspacers :banana: it's your birthday :banana:

Unfortunately not Don. This happened back in 2002-2003 era when I was working at 4 Wheel Parts, so it was in the firt 3 years of existance for the Spidertrax. May have been inferior to todays...who knows...

I learned a long time ago not to take advice from people that work at 4WP :nanner:

Something else to consider about wheel spacers... To the nest of my knowledge, they are NOT D.O.T. approved for on road use. Meaning if something where to happen and you had an accident associated with these spacers, your @$$ would be OWNED by whom ever got hurt...

To my mind, its really silly, because for about the same cost, you could by a set of rims with more back spacing and be completely LEGAL!!!

Just some food for thought.

CW.