wheel spacers

Something else to consider about wheel spacers... To the nest of my knowledge, they are NOT D.O.T. approved for on road use. Meaning if something where to happen and you had an accident associated with these spacers, your @$$ would be OWNED by whom ever got hurt...

To my mind, its really silly, because for about the same cost, you could by a set of rims with more back spacing and be completely LEGAL!!! Just some food for thought. CW.

I can get a wheel set w. more back spacing for $100, the cost of a pair of Jeep-specific SpiderTrax spacers?? Where? I don't think so. Also agree w. ComancheKid45 about not running spacers up front.

And as far as legality, depends on where you live. From DOT archives:

“‘Are they street legal?’ This is a tough one because there is no one legitimate answer. The DOT doesn’t regulate this kind of product,

so there is nothing that says it isn’t street legal. Your local vehicle inspection has the authority to say it is or isn’t street legal without it being in writing. Best bet is to check with your local vehicle inspection office and get their position before making your decision.”

There may be a DOT reg now that affects the whole US, but I can't find it.

I had a 4wd Suburban. Front wheels sat out more than the rear and I thought it looked stupid. Bought a pair of spacers. Put ~ 40,000 miles on it with the spacers, to Florida and back, multiple times to Canada and back, towing a trailer to WV and back as well as to Kentucky and back, hauled over 6000 pounds of drywall for 30 miles (yes, it was squatting a bit with that one), and never had a single problem.

Currently have spacers one the back of the Comanche because 1 - the rear wheels sit inside the wheel wells more than the front, which looks stupid, and 2 - to keep the shoulder of the rear tires away from the inside wall of the wheel well under flex. So far I've put more than 10,000 miles on those spacers including multiple trips to Canada as well as off road for 9 days. No problems so far.

I meant to post this here and ended up with a new thread.

A lot of guys with wheeling with he trailblazer/envoy run spacers, to increase the tire size you must run spacers because the control arm will rub the tire unless you move the tire out an inch or so.

The trailblazers/envoys are such a small market with an odd ball lug pattern that there are very few rim options out there so most of those guys run spacers or an adapter that gives them a more common lug pattern which lets them go with bigger tires.

The other problem is the spacers are ~$400 per set so for us jeepers, we can get a pretty good set of rims for that.

What brand spacers did you buy? What sort of maintenance did you do?

No clue. I got them off Ebay. The Suburban ones were new and cost me a little over $100. The Jeep ones were used and cost me $30, but I had to replace a stud and they came without lug nuts. They were both hub centric.

Maintenance? What sort of maintenance can you do to a a machined block of billet aluminum?

I meant to post this here and ended up with a new thread.

A lot of guys with wheeling with he trailblazer/envoy run spacers, to increase the tire size you must run spacers because the control arm will rub the tire unless you move the tire out an inch or so.

The trailblazers/envoys are such a small market with an odd ball lug pattern that there are very few rim options out there so most of those guys run spacers or an adapter that gives them a more common lug pattern which lets them go with bigger tires.

The other problem is the spacers are ~$400 per set so for us jeepers, we can get a pretty good set of rims for that.

Spidertrax are $99/pair and sometime you can pick em up used for 1/2 that.

I can get a wheel set w. more back spacing for $100, the cost of a pair of Jeep-specific SpiderTrax spacers?? Where? I don't think so. Also agree w. ComancheKid45 about not running spacers up front.

And as far as legality, depends on where you live. From DOT archives:

“‘Are they street legal?’ This is a tough one because there is no one legitimate answer. The DOT doesn’t regulate this kind of product,

so there is nothing that says it isn’t street legal. Your local vehicle inspection has the authority to say it is or isn’t street legal without it being in writing. Best bet is to check with your local vehicle inspection office and get their position before making your decision.”

There may be a DOT reg now that affects the whole US, but I can't find it.

Not exactly sure what you said here.... If your doubting the price comparison between new rims and spydertrax spacers... 100 is the going rate for a set,

Wheel Spacers By Spidertrax 2007-08 JK ... $98.75 - Oconee Off-Road Jeep ...

Wheel Spacers by Spidertrax $99.99 - 4wd.com

Suzuki - Wheel Spacers $99.95 - polyperformance.com

American racing steel wheels,

American Racing Ar-767 - Black Finish Wheels ... $64.00 - Performance Plus Tire American Racing 7675885:American Racing AR-767 ... $66.95 - Summit Racing Equipment

SO, $120 for two rims VS $100 for two spacers. No one here is going to argue any lack of safety of AR 767 rims and they are only 20 more than the spacers. LMK if I'm off base here....

CW

SO, $120 for two rims VS $100 for two spacers. No one here is going to argue any lack of safety of AR 767 rims and they are only 20 more than the spacers. LMK if I'm off base here....

CW

But they look like poo on a stick...

:popcorn:

Not exactly sure what you said here.... If your doubting the price comparison between new rims and spydertrax spacers. American racing steel wheels etc.

Okay CW, probably worded it NQR (Not Quite Right :D ). A set of SpiderTrax spacers is about $100 agreed (BTW they are back-ordered now), and there are plenty of el-cheapo steely wheels that are available as you pointed out, but I like my Ravine wheels, and had to keep them because they are the only OEM alloy wheels w. the correct BS and enough width inside to clear my rear disk brake calipers. The American Racing stuff you referred to may or may not have sufficient clearance, but in any event I don't like them. :D My only concern with the spacers was the stud length; I needed an additional .125" over stock to make up for the rear disk backing plates on my rig (thanks for the measurement SW2). The SpiderTrax spacer stud length was actually slightly more than I needed, and I'm getting a full eight lug nut rotations to snug them up vs. the six I had before. Completely happy with them, and have no doubts regarding their safety mate. :cheers: