It's true

Eagle

I know you can run 31x10.50 tires on an MJ with no lift, but many years ago Ed Stevens over on NAXJA wrote that you can do so on an XJ with no lift. Well, I've had two sets of "normal" size street tires (225/75-15 and 235/75-15) buy the farm in short order, so to be mobile while I save pennies for new shoes, I dragged out the 31s I used to run on the 88 MJ and slapped them on Old Faithful.

I may never take 'em off. They are big enough that inflating them to 30 psi would mean running only on the center rib of the tread, so for now I have them at a (hopefully) conservative 27 psi. With a 5-speed and 3.07 gears it feels a lot like driving a 4-cylinder, but the ride is incredible. I always carry a few tools, spare parts and "consumables" (oil and coolant) in the back, and it doesn't seem bothered by the weight at all. There is no rubbing in the rear, and only a bit of the standard LCA interference in the front at full steering lock.

I wouldn't have thought they could either. I don't think I would. I had 235s on my first two XJs and they looked pretty stuffed. I definitely wouldn't put them on my XJ now, being an auto on 3.07s...

I know you can run 31x10.50 tires on an MJ with no lift, but many years ago Ed Stevens over on NAXJA wrote that you can do so on an XJ with no lift. Well, I've had two sets of "normal" size street tires (225/75-15 and 235/75-15) buy the farm in short order, so to be mobile while I save pennies for new shoes, I dragged out the 31s I used to run on the 88 MJ and slapped them on Old Faithful.

I may never take 'em off. They are big enough that inflating them to 30 psi would mean running only on the center rib of the tread, so for now I have them at a (hopefully) conservative 27 psi. With a 5-speed and 3.07 gears it feels a lot like driving a 4-cylinder, but the ride is incredible. I always carry a few tools, spare parts and "consumables" (oil and coolant) in the back, and it doesn't seem bothered by the weight at all. There is no rubbing in the rear, and only a bit of the standard LCA interference in the front at full steering lock.

What wheels, width, and BS? Standard steelies?

fwiw, the 89 dealership brochure gives different heights for the 2wd and 4wd MJs, but only a single height for the XJ. :dunno: But since the roofs are different, I can't directly compare the XJ to the MJs.

What wheels, width, and BS? Standard steelies?

OEM Jeep 15x7 steel "wagon wheels." However, I'm so pleased with the ride and handling that I think I'll swap these tires onto a set of Jeep alloys.

Gotta be stock rims. Aftermarket rims push the tires too far outboard, and then you start whacking the flares.