From EFI to Carb

just bought the truck a couple days ago for 800. little rust on driver's floor. ill probably end up cutting it out and welding some new sheet metal in. anyone know where to get a fuel pump reasonable. advance want 80 something for them...where is a good place to look for parts and accessories (IE fuel tank)?

How's the rust on the underside? If the tank is in overall good shape, I might try cleaning it out with a cleaner. Here in Michigan, if there's any problem with the tank, I just write it off. It's already too rusty for me to want to save.

you can get a gas tank sealer. if you have small arms you could get a scraper in there to scrape some away. here is how i see it, yes you could get a new tank and it would work great. youd be rollin. or you could get the first hand experience and clean out your tank try and refurbish it yourself. maybe it works maybe it doesn't. but it would only take a few hours and if it doesn't work then spend the 150 for a new tank. that's just me.

yeah I'm def into screwing something up myself before i spend the green and get it done right...theres no rust on the gas tank or anywhere else i have found thus far on the whole truck. that was one of the determining factors for purchse 1. i can put a dog box in the back 2. its a jeep 3. no rust 4. motors not locked 5...800 bucks and its a jeep.. now i just need to find a placed that doesnt want 80 plus for a fuel pump....

The Wrangler used a carbureted 4.2L through 1990, and then went to the injected 4.0L in 1991 through 1994. Carbs use a maximum of 7 psi, whereas injection needs around 40. I'd say there's NO way that one listing fits all those vehicles.

Correction: It only lists the Wrangler from 1991 and newer.

The Wrangler used a carbureted 4.2L through 1990, and then went to the injected 4.0L in 1991 through 1994. Carbs use a maximum of 7 psi, whereas injection needs around 40. I'd say there's NO way that one listing fits all those vehicles.

Correction: It only lists the Wrangler from 1991 and newer.

good, i didn't look that close, but the title says 87, and i agree, a carbed fuel pump can't be the same as multi port injection.

so maybe it will work for him

Good luck. Fuel pumps are expensive. And sometimes short-lived. Make sure it has a good warranty. :thumbsup:

:agree: I went threw 4 fuel pumps before I bought a bosch one and that one still works......

One you get your fuel tank cleaned out if your still having problems check your fuel pressure regulator......Its the part that your fuel line goes into and is connected to the fuel rail........I was having a problem with my mj wouldnt start would just crank over thats it, but right before it stopped running it was running really bad and smoking......then would crank over and flood smoke and die, then just dead untill i put like 3 fpr's in.......... good luck buddy :cheers:

yeah i already checked it i have power at the pump, there is no way this thing ran with the crud it has caked on it. as soon as i get the tank pulled out ill decide if I'm getting a new tank then its on to the pump...any suggestions on brand for thr pump.. i hate arguing with the auto parts people... :mad: