My '88 MJ complete tear down and rebuild.

Wuts up guys. I'm pretty new here. I got a Comanche from my dad and it was in bad condition. On my days off me and a couple buddy's work on it over a 12 pack. Our goal is tp build up again as clean as possible. I want to switch the rear leaf springs to coil spring for better articulation. I also want new front and rear ends. Maybe Dana 60's and a new tranny with transfer case to do a 4 wheel drive conversion. And then lift it up of course. Click this link to see where I'm at as of now. And any suggestions or advice would be greatly appriciated. I will up date every 2 weeks or so. Thank you

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2429006/1

Hey guys. What brand or model could I use for the transmition, front and rear axles and diffs, and driveshafts to convert it to 4 wheel drive? Something cheap, like i guess i could get the tranny at a junk yard and maybe some dana 60's or 70's? And what about the drive shafts, could i get those in a junk yard and maybe cut them and fit them if they don't fit?

get a parts 4X4 XJ. u should be able to pick them up super cheap(usually around 150 for a complete one where i am) and transfer everything over. i'm being told its the simplest way, and you don't ahe to worry about things not fitting.

get a parts 4X4 XJ. u should be able to pick them up super cheap(usually around 150 for a complete one where i am) and transfer everything over. i'm being told its the simplest way, and you don't ahe to worry about things not fitting.

2 complete XJ's. 4x4, 5spds. One has a D44. Running but needs a LOT of bodywork. Both under $400 near me. Its insane.

Chuck you need to remember to sign in. :D

Rockwells can be done cheaper than 60s, but you really need a TON of horsepower to justify them (and a ton of torque to move those heavy chunks of steel around). What are your plans for tires and engine?

And you need a ton of tire to keep them out of the rocks, dirt, trees, whatever. And they're bloooooday wide. They actually don't work in the terrain around where I live because of that. Other than the mud pits (mud=boring).

Although, I've seen 4cyls move rockwells with 44s+ on 'em. 6.72 gearing in the axles is nice, and then a doubler and a granny tranny...

I hear people talk about this stuff all the time.

I see people build them on here and JU and other places all the time.

I don't understand why??

An MJ with an RE 5.5 Kit, a D44 rear, a built D30 front, and 35" tires is capable of going just about anyplace that any vehicle could possibly go in America.

Sure it aint the best mudbogger or the best tire pit rig or what ever but it is easy to build, easy to work on, and there are tons of replacement parts out there for it.

If you really want to swap out axles go with other easy to find axles like Ford 8.8 or 9" and or D44 front and rear from Ford or FSJ, or IH D44's

I think that the challenge with building a rig, even a trail rig, is simple, but complex. For me it is all about building them so that they can still do 75MPH up hill on the interstate. If they can't do that they what is the point?

99% of the places that you go in America you go on an interstate or offroad. The other 1% that you go off road can be reached with the above said equipment.

Otherwise, just build a damn TUBE BUGGY or TRUGGY in this case that just uses the sheet metal off of a Comanche to make it look like a Jeep.

You will spend over $50,000 to build one from the ground up unless you are the welder/tube bender/body guy/engine guy etc.

I wil tell you that even with the RE DB's and 35's you can't go everywhere in America :brows: The wjole point of using bigger axles, is so you can step up to bigger tires. There are lots of places where ground clearance is king, as well as bigger tires equal better approach/departure/ breakover angles.

Dirty as for your comments... Most ppl narrow the rockwells some, but even then they are still over 84" wide :eek: Of course you still need to shave the diff like you said. The other advantage to running them, is the ease of 4 wheel steering :yes:

As for getting to where you wheel.... as long as manufacturers keep building 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, and they still build trailers.. I can get there go 75mph too :nanner:

• 3 years later...