2.8 to 4.3 swap???

how hard will it be my 2.8 developed a rod knock and i have a 4.3 layin around i have heard it will bolt up to the tranny. i know custom motor mounts but is that about it? firewall clearance? also a fleeting thought, will a np 231 transfer case bolt in place of the tail shaft on a 2wd transmission? i know it probably won't but i thought i would ask anyway

N.O.T.G.

this is for project MOJO btw

A 4.3 will NOT bolt place of a 2.8. The only engine that will interchange is a 3.4 from a Camaro/Firebird. The 2.8 has a different bell housing bolt pattern than the 4.3. You would also have to swap the transmission if you went with the 4.3.

ok well i have come across two cherokees both 4.0 atuomatic and 4x4. will the auto tranny work with my 2.8 in place of my manual tranny. what would i have to do to make it work? can i swap in a 4.0 in place of my 2.8? what does that take? i just want my truck back :( I'm swapping the front and rear axles tomorrow but what about the tranny and motor? i need some serious advice from you guys. the guys in my shop just say to swap in a 350 and a 350 turbo trans and be done with it......please help..

N.O.T.G.

Both the 350 and the 4.0 will require that you replace maybe 90% of your truck's guts (though they differ a little in which parts will get thrown out) The easiest job is to swap in another 2.8, followed closely by the 3.4 (which is probably the best plan).

If your have found some XY's in your area that would be the best engine swap to replace your 2.8, and a little searching will find you some additional info that can help you decide.

Like this topic - http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =2&t=12551

Or this one, more like what you have- http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... ?f=2&t=656

The real ticket is to get the entire XJ, and transplant every wire, sensor, cooling system over to the MJ, including the dash, or at least the interior wire harness.

Swapping in a 4.0 power train is way less painful that any other option.

Plus, that gives you an option to go to the '91+ HO engine.

Then that gives you some choices on what you want for the tranny, like AW4 or AX15.

3.4 is the least involved.

closely followed by a 4.0 being the second least involved. follow those links and I'm sure you'll find a list of what needs to be changed.

to answer another question you had a few posts back...no, you cannot take any 4.0 liter transmission and bolt it to the 2.8 liter...the bellhousings are different.

HOWEVER,

if you have a cherokee 4.0 automatic (aw4) and a cherokee 2.5 (4 cylinder) automatic (if it's an aw4 which is a high possiblity) bellhousing and torque converter from 1987-1989, then you can put that bellhousing plus tc onto the 4.0 aw4 and use that aw4 behind your 60 degree bellhousing pattern 2.8 liter v6.

only downside of that is you'd have to get the brettM aw4 manual shift kit, since there's really no good way to make the aw4 electronic wiring work out for you...it would require alot of splicing and even then the shift rpm's would be incorrect.

you could also take a 4.0 liter ax15 with a late 80's early 90's dodge dakota 5 speed (ax15) bellhousing and throw that in behind your 2.8 liter.

Save weight? You're not looking for more fuel mileage are you? I doubt you'd even be able to tell if there was an increase.

Also, you might want to post this in the classifieds. :thumbsup:

I have a cherokee 2.5 L with AWD. To reduce weight, I would like to trade the AWD transmission and transfer case (with front shaft) for a 2WD transmission. I live in Knoxville, TN any takers? AMX02450

That change is not going to save much...may reduce weight by 60-80 pounds... :dunno: . Definitely not worth the work.