lift kit for my 89 comanche sport

You are going to need at least a 6.5" kit, and maybe a little trimming to make them fit.

There are good kits available from Rubicon Express, Motion Offroad, Rock Krawler, and a few others. Be prepared to spend $1500 on a good kit...and stay away from the "bargain" kits. Remember, you get what you pay for.

6.5" with 33s here with short arms. At normal ride height the tires barely clear the back of the front fender well, when I try to stuff them they hit the front. 35 would be worse.

Long arms may work as the larger arc don't make the tires move forward as much. Otherwise you'd have to do serious cutting or bump stopping.

The rear should be okay at 6.5", but you should still extend the bump stops so you don't crack leafs and/or put the tire into the top of the fender under full flex.

I must admit, I'm not too big on offroading. I have no clue what to do with gears. I'm new to this whole lifting/tires thing. Its pretty much gonna be a pavement princess except for some around town mudding. It doesnt have to be too capable on rocks or anything. Plus its just got the 4 cyl motor. Maybe i should just go with some 33s. It just has a very clean body and the stock roll bar, and i think it would make a nice looking lifted truck :thumbsup:

WELCOME!!!

As mentioned gearing, is top priority ESP with a 4 cyl and 35's!! Also you cannot even get the gear ratios you would need in your current axles!!!

IMHO, Just throw in a couple 2 inch spacers out front. A taller shackle and or a LONG add-a-leaf along with longer shocks and a nice set of 31" tires. Then enjoy your truck. Re-gearing would still benefit, but will be drivable as is.

CW

I must admit, I'm not too big on offroading. I have no clue what to do with gears. I'm new to this whole lifting/tires thing. Its pretty much gonna be a pavement princess except for some around town mudding. It doesnt have to be too capable on rocks or anything. Plus its just got the 4 cyl motor. Maybe i should just go with some 33s. It just has a very clean body and the stock roll bar, and i think it would make a nice looking lifted truck :thumbsup:

It'll look nice, but might be undriveable. Which transmission do you have? 4spd manual? 5spd manual? or auto? Can you read the little metal tags attached to the axle differential cover bolts?

Yeah, the tags on my differential read

11 605294-4

what does this mean? How big of a lift would i need for 33s? I'm not completely set on the 35s, and if it would be easier on the truck id go with the 33s no problem

Yeah, the tags on my differential read

11 605294-4

what does this mean? How big of a lift would i need for 33s? I'm not completely set on the 35s, and if it would be easier on the truck id go with the 33s no problem

The number I have highlighted and colored is the Bill of Materials (BOM) number. According to that number, that is a D35 rear axle with 4.10 gears and a trac-lock limited slip differential.

33's would be better, but you will still need roughly 6" of lift to do it without cutting. They will be easier on the truck, but will still slow it down and you will have to be VERY careful not to break the D35 rear. With 33's, itcan be easily broken...even on hte street with just a hard take-off.

agree with CW.....quick little spacer/shackle lift and toss some 31's on it. You can still use your stock suspension and gearing (4.56's would be better, but not essential).

I tried pushing 33 AT's with my 2.5, and it was just too much even running 4.56's. It was decent putzing around town, but forget about the highway.

Jeff

I agree with what everyone else has said.

A 2" budget boost and 31s is going to be the cheapest and easiest way to get a more aggresive stance ... and you'll be able to keep everything else stock and still have a decent ride.

Going to 33s is a whole new ball game. You have to start thinking about soooo much more in regards to suspension, sterring, shocks, gearing, etc.

So, before you do anything and spend any money .... think real hard on how you want your truck to look. Look through the picture thread for a while to get an idea of how the different lift/tire combos look.

If you do decide to go 33s, I highly recommend a spring over in the rear.

so what would i have to do for a 2 inch boost? where would that be available?

For the front, either spacers, new coil springs, or a combo of both. One of the most common ways to do it is to get a set of used coils from a V8 Grand Cherokee - they give between 1 and 2 inches of lift depending on condition. If needed, throw in a spacer to get to 2".

For the back, you can get a set of lift shackles, but most of them only give 1.5". You can get a full length add-a-leaf and get at least 2", maybe more. Or you could experiment with building a bastard pack of some sort.