V8 Engine Swap

I am going to look at a 88 Comanche 4x4 in the next few days. Bad Engnie

Fenders cut out. Single stack exhaust in bed. 5 sp tranny. Front end removed, bad computer and some wiring. .I have a Chevy 350 and granny 4 sp tranny out of my 86 chevy 3/4 toon truck my son wrecked.

I checked with the cummins 4bt group I am on, and most thought the 4bt was too much for the tuck. And as a unibody made the choices even worse.

There are some other diesel choices. I do own 2 GM 5.7 diesels. One with over 400,000 miles and the other one is more than 200,000 miles. I would use one of them, but pistons are getting very hard to find.

My other choice would be a VW TDI engine.

Any adapters for the 5 speed AX Trans that should be in the truck to the Chevy V8 t the AX tranny, I could use the SM465 tranny, but it is 2 wd drive.

I would perfer to stay manual transmission, but I think I would prefer a 5sp non granny transmission. There not a lot of hils much less montains in my part of Texas. I did own a Bronco II 4x4 but it was usefull on Ice of snow.

LMK what you all think would be the best way ti gi with this truck. Oh he is asking $400.00 for IT.

Richard

tranny in that truck is useless for a v8... it should be a BA10 as long as it hasnt been swapped already. the BA10 is a puegeot commonly referred to as the puke-goat which kind of sums up its performance behind the stock engines. AX15s however would work fine if someone has swapped one in there already.

Oh yeah, and the 4bt won't physically fit in a MJ/XJ apparently.

Not to mention, the "frame" would be toast!

I think I would prefer a 5sp non granny transmission.

The SM465's first gear is 6.55:1, so as far as granny gearing goes, it's the granny's grandma.

The AX5's first gear, on the other hand, is 3.93:1, so it sounds like more to your liking.

Advance Adapters has a kit to put a Chevy Small Block in front of the AX5. Looks like it's just a bellhousing, and it'll run ya $455.40.

i would ask what a 4bt is but i know right after i post this I'm gonna go google it. so I'm not gonna ask.

is an AX5 rated for that kind of power? i guess it has to be or noone would make a kit for it... i thought that was the "dinky" 4cyl tranny?

I have not seen the truck yet, it is aupposed to be a '88.

Would it be a AX15 a AX5 or the Peugeot/BA10-15.It has the 4.0l 6cyl in itand it is 4 wd.

It looks like I am in big "dodo" :mad: if it doesn't have the AX15 transmission.

Novak doesn't list a 87-88 transmission, This is for the

Advance Adapters lists

1987-2004 = AX5

1987-1989 = Peugeot/BA10-15

1989-1999 = AX15

So I don't know what it has till I look at it, Or does someone know

More when I find out.

What would it take to swap the AX15 into this Comanche?I know the transmisson ;) Do these trucks use a divorced transfer case? Or does the transfer case bolt to the tranny? I still would most likely do the v8 swap, but it would remain mostly a stock 350 from my 3/4 ton. The AX15 would be the easiest way to keep it 4wd. Then I can loof for a differnt transmission-transfer case and some larger axles.

I still am going to put the Cummins 4bt in something. I guess it will have to be a s10 with a full frame. Or I have a 1/2 chevy short stepside truck.

Richard