Lift Amount & Tire Size Chart?

I've tried searching for this without much luck.

Does anyone know of or have a chart that will show what tire size you can fit under each stage of lift kit without fender-cutting and rubbing? I am looking to get a small lift kit to put 30x10.50 or 31x10.50 under my truck. It needs some help and I'm getting ready to need new tires anyway.

I'm looking for a cheap, good quality lift kit.

Photo of my comanche as is below.

3442751261_3d465229df.jpg

A lot of it depends on what type of driving you want to do, and how concerned you would be with a little rubbing here and there. If you keep it on the street, and don't mind the occasional rub at full lock, you can actually run 31s with 1.5-2"

If you want to wheel the truck, get at least 3" for 31s.

Also, how cheap is cheap? ;)

Does anyone know of or have a chart that will show what tire size you can fit under each stage of lift kit without fender-cutting and rubbing? I am looking to get a small lift kit to put 30x10.50 or 31x10.50 under my truck. It needs some help and I'm getting ready to need new tires anyway.

You won't find a chart, because there are too many variables. Rim width, offset and backspacing make a huge difference, and so does whether or not you extend your bump stops. That, in turn, relates to whether yo want/need a lot of articulation (suspension travel) or just want to fit larger tires for street and "the look."

In general, you can easily run 30x9.50/15s on stock rimes with no lift, and most people can run 31x10.50s with no lift. There will be slight rubbing of the inside shoulder of the front tire against the lower control arm on sharp turns, otherwise no problem. And that can be addressed in a couple of ways.

I have pictures of my 2WD Sport Truck with a 3 inch lift and a 4.5 inch lift on our website at www.hellcreeksuspensions.com. They are in the "Customer Photos" link. It is easiest if you use the drop-down list, instead of going through all of the pictures. In both pictures my Comanche has 31 X 10.50 X 15 inch tires mounted on Cherokee aluminum rims. These will give you an idea of what to expect.

Tom

Cool, thanks everyone.

I don't plan on 4wheeling with the truck, just want the look, I suppose.

I'd like to put 31x10.50s on the truck with the aluminimum wheels that's on it now (they came with the truck... bought it a few weeks ago).

Nice Ranger wheels. The XJ had some similar to those, but didn't use the screw on hubcaps, just little black pieces that snapped into the center. Just wanted to point out what the wheels were from incase you wanted to get a matching spare ( mid 80s', BTW). I have a set of those for my BroncoII, and my wifes Supercab Ranger.

Nice Ranger wheels.

that was the first thing I noticed was the ranger wheels. I'm looking for a set of four rims to mount some cheap road tires on, its cool to know that ranger wheels have the same bolt pattern and will fit the MJ. I guess it would be logical to assume that explorer rims would fit the MJ too since they are based on the ranger platform. And I know this may be a stretch but would rims off of isuzu rodeo work on an MJ as well...or did I get lied too?

anyway......

I have 30" tires and they haven't rubbed yet, which is just about what you want. My MJ has a 4" Rough Country lift that came with the truck when I bought it. I hear they are cheap.....but then again I don't know if they are still in business because this lift kit is almost as old as the truck.

pray to Google about Rough Country, and you may find your answer.

that kit says the recommended tire size is 31" which is basically what you want. for $335 I'd get it, the kit I have has been to hell and back...and its still pretty good. it even rides well on pavement...but for me thats just a bonus. it does tend to sway a little while driving, but I think thats something else...

What's the max tire size that'll fit on a stock MJ w/o rubbing??? 30x9.5's?

As a general rule, a 235/75/15 will be the largest tire not to rub.

Most lift manufacturers have charts that tell you what size tire is the max for what lift. Call someone like 4 Wheel Parts and they will be able to give you a run down on it.

I wouldn't touch that Rough Country lift with a ten foot pole. I wouldn't touch any lift over 2" that didn't provide longer lower control arms, longer brake lines a longer track bar and some sort of sway bar extension. It's cheap for a reason. Also, they don't know how to spell Comanche (the firefox tab has 2 'M's). :fs1:

My 90 has 31s on Jeep 15x7 rims with no lift. Only mod was to add WJ lower control arms to eliminate the rubbing there.

The only mod necessary was to grind a bit off the metal insert in the bushings (they are a hair too wide). Other than that they bolt right in. I went the extra step to trim the control arms mounts a bit for max articulation, but it's not that necessary.

Control arm photos start near the bottom of page one:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1556