Changing Oxygen Sensor?

Just had a light on my dashboard light up, looked it up and it stated that I needed to change my Oxygen Sensor at 82,000 miles. Can anyone tell me where this is located? Is it something I can do myself? If so, how much and where can I buy one?

Thank you very much for your help.

It's either in the pipe between the exhaust manifold and cat, or in the exhaust manifold. I can't remember if Renix ones were in the manifold or not.

Very easy to change, unplug, take the old one out with either an O2 sensor socket, or I just used a wrench. Once it was broke free it was finger loose.

Last time I heard a price on them, they were ~ $30-$40

There mounted on the base of the exhaust manifold, just below the EGR tube.

When you get a replacement, make sure you get the 3 wire (Heated) O2 sensor.

And the price is closer to $50 for them now :shake:

Also, after you replace it, your "Check Engine" lite might still stay lit. You need to remove the Emission Maintenance Timer, mounted on the dash, right of the steering column, you can just unplug it and leave it there, or remove it, and don't bother replacing it, if you can even find one. It only has one purpose, to tell you to replace the O2 sensor, at 82,500 miles :roll:

Also, after you replace it, your "Check Engine" lite might still stay lit. You need to remove the Emission Maintenance Timer, mounted on the dash, right of the steering column, you can just unplug it and leave it there, or remove it, and don't bother replacing it, if you can even find one. It only has one purpose, to tell you to replace the O2 sensor, at 82,500 miles :roll:

Any chance to get a picture of this, or a sight that shows it?

Thanks again.

It is a brown see through box with gears in it, attached to the knee board that makes up the bottom of the dash. It is on the backside of the 'board between the steering column and the ashtray.

The o2 sensor can be a little tough to get to, but not terrible. When I changed mine, I reached up in there with a 1/2" drive ratchet and broke the ceramic housing of the old one off, cut the wires off and left nothing but the nut still in the pipe which made it real easy to get a regular socket on it to remove. The new one is easy to put back in with just a wrench.

Any chance to get a picture of this, or a sight that shows it?

Thanks again.

For the O2 sensor?? And for all Renix sensors-Renix sensors

For the EMT-

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find!! I just got me one!

Bought that one also, unfortunately the plug was different, didn't pay any attention until I was ready to plug the new one in. My factory one had a female plug, and the replacement one came with a male plug. Looks like a trip into the parts store......waste of time.

Nice find!! I just got me one!

Bought that one also, unfortunately the plug was different, didn't pay any attention until I was ready to plug the new one in. My factory one had a female plug, and the replacement one came with a male plug. Looks like a trip into the parts store......waste of time.

And, another reason NOT to buy parts on e-bay :roll:

Don't feel bad, I've been duked before too :fs1: