shock removal

I was able to do it with just normal tools. I put vice grips on the shock housing to keep it from spinning (the grips rotated until contact with the fender well, then held it in place) and used an open end offset wrench. It was a pain because I only had enough space to turn the thing about 60* then I had to flip the wrench to change the angle and rotate another 60* and repeat ad nauseum. Would have been much quicker with a stubby wrench or a ratcheting wrench, but I had to do it the long boring way.

Pull the washer fluid resevoir (three small bolts I believe - don't need to empty it or remove hoses - just undo the bolts and set it aside) and you'll see this:

IMG_1847.jpg

Shouldn't have any trouble from there.

The top of the shock, just above the nut has two sides flattened down so you can get an adjustable wrench on it. That's what I did, and it works well enough to at least break it loose.

Or if all else fails, since new shocks usually come with new nuts, use the splitter.

cool, It shouldn't be too bad then, I will be installing these as soon as I get my new UCA's installed, but to do that I need to get bigger jackstands (the unforeseen side of lifting the truck) and Ill put coil spacers in at the same time.

The top of the shock, just above the nut has two sides flattened down so you can get an adjustable wrench on it. That's what I did, and it works well enough to at least break it loose.

Or if all else fails, since new shocks usually come with new nuts, use the splitter.

:idea: Snap On has a socket made for this very purpose...a little penetrating oil first and this socket , comes off easy as can be . :thumbsup: