Need Opinions...

As much as I like the idea and looks of them. Neither of mine will get cut up to modify the Cab/Interior Space. :thumbsup: That being said. My thoughts:

It seems to me that you could use an XJ roof when you do this to the MJ and it would make things much much easier. If you could find a two door XJ somewhere and buy it to sacrifice for this project you would get your doors, seats, roof with the correct "Door Jamb" spacing and many other usable parts. However, If I am not mistaken, the heights and slopes of an XJ roof and MJ roof are different. The MJ one has more of a slope to it if I remember correctly. So you would either have to trim down the top of the back of the cab to make the XJ one work or come across some other means of resolving this problem.

Next thing is that when I cut the truck in half at the floor boards, I would make the LONGEST cut possible, Diagonal, Zig Zag, whatever. This allows you to (spend more time welding it back up) but also have a stronger joint at that part of the "chassis" than one that just goes straight across.

Lastly, I think that I would cut out the frame rails from under the vehicle say a foot in each direction of the cut. Then I would weld in a new single piece to fill that distance of the "new" gap that is left.

As far as the bed goes, I think you will have to end up bobbing the front AND rear of it to accomplish what you want to do, also the frame will need to be shortened somehow if you do things as I described above.

Why not just buy an MJ bed from a yard somewhere and hack up an XJ? Seems easier. I hate to say it, but once you hack the MJ up, it loses its "MJ ness" in my mind and becomes a "Cheromanche" :dunce:

I'm doing this for two reasons. My back is shot and I need room and the subs that will massage my back while I drive.

I could careless if people don't like it. I've cut enough other metal it won't matter.

It will have a full rollcage, a V-8, huge wheelwells for maximum uptravel and the only place it will say Jeep is on the tailgate... Like I tell my wife, it's mine, so back off, I'm building my way....

It should look like this, except wilder.

Image Not Found

It will be a mutt with Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Honda and Jeep parts on it.

:cheers:

One thing to think about, which may not be a big deal, but it's what popped up in my head with all the cutting and hacking talk. Which ever way you go, you will have to fab up some interior panels to work with all your ideas. Would hate to see you go to all the trouble of making a nice extend cab just to open the doors and see bare metal or worse yet, wood paneling like the old panel vans. :ack:

If you are just adding 2 doors in, then everything will go back together just like stock. Just a tad more area to cover on the floor and ceiling.

It seems to me that you could use an XJ roof when you do this to the MJ and it would make things much much easier. If you could find a two door XJ somewhere and buy it to sacrifice for this project you would get your doors, seats, roof with the correct "Door Jamb" spacing and many other usable parts. However, If I am not mistaken, the heights and slopes of an XJ roof and MJ roof are different. The MJ one has more of a slope to it if I remember correctly. So you would either have to trim down the top of the back of the cab to make the XJ one work or come across some other means of resolving this problem.

Aren't XJ roofs corrugated or something like that? MJ roofs are just curved sheetmetal.

One thing to think about, which may not be a big deal, but it's what popped up in my head with all the cutting and hacking talk. Which ever way you go, you will have to fab up some interior panels to work with all your ideas. Would hate to see you go to all the trouble of making a nice extend cab just to open the doors and see bare metal or worse yet, wood paneling like the old panel vans. :ack:

If you are just adding 2 doors in, then everything will go back together just like stock. Just a tad more area to cover on the floor and ceiling.

True. I was thinking more on the extended cab version. This is one of my future projects behind all the other ones I want. Even though this one is on a 2dr XJ frame, I really like the clean look of it and think I'll go this route when the time comes.

It seems to me that you could use an XJ roof when you do this to the MJ and it would make things much much easier. If you could find a two door XJ somewhere and buy it to sacrifice for this project you would get your doors, seats, roof with the correct "Door Jamb" spacing and many other usable parts. However, If I am not mistaken, the heights and slopes of an XJ roof and MJ roof are different. The MJ one has more of a slWhy not just buy an MJ bed from a yard somewhere and hack up an XJ? Seems easier. I hate to say it, but once you hack the MJ up, it loses its "MJ ness" in my mind and becomes a "Cheromanche" :dunce:

A Cherokee with the cab thrown on the back is a Cheromanche. The difference between them is if it still has the "frame" under the bed, then it's still pretty much a Comanche. You are modifying a Comanche slighty, but it's still a truck. Almost every single piece of the truck is still there. You still register it as a Comanche............ :thumbsup:

Yep, that was just my opinion, thats all it was. I'll be watching to see how you end up doing things. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Just grab 2 door trim and extend the headliner. Mine needs to be recovered anyways.

I'll just add a piece of carpet I have here to finish the floor and use 2 door sill plates.

It's not that hard.

• 2 months later...

nice thread, seems there are always the same familiar "faces" in any Cheromanche thread.

Kittrell did you originally post those photoshop jobs to NAXJA? I saw them there a few years back. I am partial to the full on crew cab with short bed. Of all the XJ/MJ mash ups I've seen none has gotten the proportions just right. The old burgundy 4 door MJ (2wd) was well done but the propertions were aweful and made even worse by the lack of a lift. That red Ebay job didn;t have great workmanship but the proportions were close... A little too short a bed for my tastes.

TNT those white ones might be the best I've seen, but some (all?) of them look like photoshops, is that your work or some custom shop that decided to try and do Cheromanche's? Do you have any more info on those?

nice thread, seems there are always the same familiar "faces" in any Cheromanche thread.

Kittrell did you originally post those photoshop jobs to NAXJA? I saw them there a few years back. I am partial to the full on crew cab with short bed. Of all the XJ/MJ mash ups I've seen none has gotten the proportions just right. The old burgundy 4 door MJ (2wd) was well done but the propertions were aweful and made even worse by the lack of a lift. That red Ebay job didn;t have great workmanship but the proportions were close... A little too short a bed for my tastes.

TNT those white ones might be the best I've seen, but some (all?) of them look like photoshops, is that your work or some custom shop that decided to try and do Cheromanche's? Do you have any more info on those?

Someones photo chop. I have the back of a MJ that is just in the way and need a home.