Whatcha yall think

I have kickin around the idea of doing a 4.0 motor swap on my 88 MJ 2wd. What do you yall think of a doing a homemade turbo setup on it. Nothing real big, bout 5 or 6 pounds of boost. It will be a daily driver. Just kickin the idea around. Do yall think it would be worth the trouble.

Bit

IMO if you are going to plan on doing a motor swap anyway, go ahead and put an engine in that is making the power you want. A 383 stroker chevy would give you more power than the truck could easily contain, and still be cheaper and arguably easier than a turbo 4.0 swap... (I wouldn't go 383, but I was just throwing out a pretty powerful power plant for examples sake.)

I would go chevy small block... 327, or 350 if the 4.0 was not going to give the umpf I wanted.

My two cents, good luck.

IMO if you are going to plan on doing a motor swap anyway, go ahead and put an engine in that is making the power you want. A 383 stroker chevy would give you more power than the truck could easily contain, and still be cheaper and arguably easier than a turbo 4.0 swap... (I wouldn't go 383, but I was just throwing out a pretty powerful power plant for examples sake.)

I would go chevy small block... 327, or 350 if the 4.0 was not going to give the umpf I wanted.

My two cents, good luck.

those are all the same block....

unless you were talking about short stroking a 400 block. And I think a 4.0 turboed is probably easier than a V8 swap. Lot of stuff to consider on the V8 fitment wise. I would personally consider doing a 4.7 stroker 4.o, easier to fit, cost as much as a good rebuild, no problems with gauges or computer tuning.

I would personally consider doing a 4.7 stroker 4.o, easier to fit, cost as much as a good rebuild, no problems with gauges or computer tuning.

I would agree. I believe there was somebody trying to work out the turbo thing on here - hopefully they will sound off on it.

the main problem with a turbo is fitment. It can fit with some work beside the block, but you will need a custom manifold to hold it high enough, and you will need to heat shield the turbo, the intake, and the block. Even after that you will still have some impressive underhood temps.

I have seen it done where they placed the turbo where the stock air box is. You can also remote mount it. Problems with remote mounting it come with location, and what you intend to use the truck for. I am not saying that mud bogging is out of the question, but you will run the risk of cracking the turbine housing, as well as ingesting water into the compressor. Deep water crossings would be out as well.

For a street truck, that is 2wd, I would remote mount it under the bed in a heart beat, in fact I want to do this on my 4cyl truck. If you relocate the spare it would fit there pretty well. You can also mount it IN the bed, but you would need to cut holes and run all the tubing, could be good if you wanted to cut holes in the bottom of the bed.

Now that you have the turbo in, it is time to start thinking about what to do about fuel and timing. I would get at least the MSD timing retard box (boost regulated), and a Fuel pressure regulator that can be variably controlled from a vacuum input. If you upgrade to an OBD1 or 2 system you can get an FTC-1 split second controller to control fuel and timing.

Lot of work to get it working right, but the gains can be pretty impressive.

I think a good stroker build is your best option for increasing power a good deal without unreasonable complexity. The price/power/pain-in-the-butt ratio seems to be right in the sweet spot. If you're swapping in a motor, my vote is for the LT1. Fix the opti while it's on the engine hoist.

I think a good stroker build is your best option for increasing power a good deal without unreasonable complexity. The price/power/pain-in-the-butt ratio seems to be right in the sweet spot. If you're swapping in a motor, my vote is for the LT1. Fix the opti while it's on the engine hoist.

replace it with an MSD opti. Or go LS1. Those motors are more fun

Or go LS1. Those motors are more fun

Depends on who you ask. They do make great top-end power, but the LT1 wins for low end torque, which is just what the doctor ordered for a daily driven regular use truck. It'll be faster for 99% of the situations it's in, but really either motor is probably overkill unless you're looking to see how quickly you can break every part on the truck or plan on spending some $$$ to do it right.

+1 on the MSD, just be sure to check that the rotor hold-down bolts were properly torqued down and loc-tited, and that the timing adjustment is actually at 0* and freely moves when adjusted.

Or go LS1. Those motors are more fun

Depends on who you ask. They do make great top-end power, but the LT1 wins for low end torque, which is just what the doctor ordered for a daily driven regular use truck. It'll be faster for 99% of the situations it's in, but really either motor is probably overkill unless you're looking to see how quickly you can break every part on the truck or plan on spending some $$$ to do it right.

+1 on the MSD, just be sure to check that the rotor hold-down bolts were properly torqued down and loc-tited, and that the timing adjustment is actually at 0* and freely moves when adjusted.

meh, My LS1 in my SS made 350ftlbs of torque right at about 1800 RPM, had long tubes, a lid, and a great tune buy a local shop.

BIT, if you know the ins and outs of doing a homebrew turbo, I say go for it. I think it would be cool and different and probably pretty rowdy in a 2WD truck.

It seems like the numbers I've seen on weight suggest that a 2WD Comanche is a good bit lighter than most trucks, keep it fairly stock looking and I'm sure it will surprise many people how fast it is. Not sure what the front suspension is like on a 2WD, but if it's double A-arm, you can probably make it handle respectably too.

Sounds like a fun and unique project to me.

BIT, if you know the ins and outs of doing a homebrew turbo, I say go for it. I think it would be cool and different and probably pretty rowdy in a 2WD truck.

It seems like the numbers I've seen on weight suggest that a 2WD Comanche is a good bit lighter than most trucks, keep it fairly stock looking and I'm sure it will surprise many people how fast it is. Not sure what the front suspension is like on a 2WD, but if it's double A-arm, you can probably make it handle respectably too.

Sounds like a fun and unique project to me.

beam axle. Stiffer springs and a good swaybar and you should be good to go.

I am gonna go for it and do, I have started gathering parts already. My biggest concern is what somebody said earlier, about fuel and timing. I would have figure all of that out.

I am also gonna look into the 4.7 stroker motor, seems like it would make good power for cheap too.

Whatever I do, I will leave as stock looking as I possibly can, right no it looks like an older man drives it.

Bit

what about a running the turbo under the bed of the truck instead of under the hood? seems to me like that would be a lot easier.

See I understand how turbo's work and have worked on turbo cars before but never built anything for a turbo. This would be my first turbo build. I am thinking about just building a good 4.0 stroker and maybe turbo later, once I learn and research more on what needs to be done. Either way its gonna stay 2wd and I don't know if I'm gonna leave it manual or go auto, havent really got that far yet.

Bit

what about a running the turbo under the bed of the truck instead of under the hood? seems to me like that would be a lot easier.

remote turbo setups suck

it depends. You can get really good results with them, just not s great as if it were closer to the front.

They do suck off road, I would not use one on a 4x4