Help me ID this MJ axle

This has the other jeep forums and ar15.com stumped so I thought I'd register here and let you fellas have a crack at it.

To my untrained eyes this appears to be similar to a D44, or rather it's odiously not a AMC20 nor does it resemble a D35 as the sides are flat and the top of the cover is peaked....however to me it also doesn't quite look like the D44's I'm used to seeing because the bottom of the cover is somewhat flat and there's only 9 bolts retaining the cover.

What you're looking under is a 4x2 89 Jeep MJ long bed with a 4.0 and a BA10-5 I traded an astro van for. I'm debating fixing and selling vs parting out. If this a d44 it would be too valuable to me underneath my 91yj to let go.

So what is this abomination?

speculation as to the ratio would also be welcome

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

That's... uhm... :huh???:

It's gotta be a 44 unless someone threw an axle out of something else in there. Does it have a tag on it?

LOL you guy's too :brows:

It's got a couple of small tags attached (see pic) I'll crawl underneath it tomorrow and see if I can read what they say.

The axle appears to have not had any perches or any hardware moved/removed but is may have been a replacment unit from a boneyard because of the grease pen markings shown in this altered pic.

Image Not Found

It's gotta be a 44 unless someone threw an axle out of something else in there. Does it have a tag on it?

It's got a couple of small tags attached (see pic) I'll crawl underneath it tomorrow and see if I can read what they say

it's a chrysler 7.25.

scrap it.

It's got a couple of small tags attached (see pic) I'll crawl underneath it tomorrow and see if I can read what they say

it's a chrysler 7.25.

scrap it.

:agree: That's it. I wonder what it's doing underneath an MJ? I guess we can add 7.25 to the list of possible MJ axles

it's a chrysler 7.25.

scrap it.

:agree: That's it. I wonder what it's doing underneath an MJ? I guess we can add 7.25 to the list of possible MJ axles

why add it. it's the equivelant of a dana 35...which never shoulda been in our jeeps anyways.

it's a chrysler 7.25.

scrap it.

why add it. it's the equivelant of a dana 35...which never shoulda been in our jeeps anyways.

who said I was going to do that?

It looks to me that someone swapped it. At least that is what the load sensing valve is telling me. Quick search came up with this:

Compatible with Models: Coronet: 1963 - 1976 (Rear)

Dakota: 1988 - 1996 (Front)

Dart: 1966 - 1971 (Rear)

Diplomat: 1974 - 1989 (Rear)

Fifth Avenue: 1980 - 1989 (Rear)

Imperial: 1977 - 1989 (Rear)

New Yorker: 1963 - 1989 (Rear)

Also found another site that said it was in the rear of Dakota's in the same timeframe as listed above.

:cheers:

:agree: Yeah, looks like the load sensing valve diff cover bracket 2nd bolt hole has been sawed off 'cause it wouldn't fit on the 9-bolt cover. Then when they mounted the load sensing valve the arm was mounted 180 out.

Amazing how rust and time makes everything look "original". :D

yep. you can definately tell the load sensing valve was disconnected and reconnected at some point. the bar should be more at a 9 oclock position. it looks to be at about 7 oclock in the pic. that means either the dif cover was off or the axle had been swapped