Second gear is stiff

OK, I have a 90 MJ with 90,000 miles. It is a bear to get in to second gear when she is not warmed up. Third can be a bit stiff at first but nothing like second gear.

I will go from first to third to avoid second gear first thing in the morning. The problem seems to fade away after I drive a few miles. Third becomes smooth as can be and second gear while not great I can use it without a struggle.

My mechanic put the Lucas trani lube it it. The last owner blew the clutch just be for I got a hold of it. Its Fixed now.

Knowing this, does anyone have a suggestion? The mechanic thinks it could be the second gear syncro. Can I head off total destruction of the 5 speed. Is the rebuild kit a big deal? I'm mechanical but I don't want to get in to a 3 week project.

Thanks

Sounds like someone probably ran the wrong fluid in it and has destroyed the syncros. The price of rebuild is going to depend on who you have do it. I got my AX-15 rebuilt for $600 when it went out a few years back. That was with me taking the tranny out and putting it back in myself though.

Sticky second here too. Probably just years of quick 1st to 2nd shifts wearing on the synchro. I find mine goes in better if I let the motor rev out a little more before shifting. And being gentle but firm on the lever smiley-violent003.gif

Well that covers the bases.

(1) $600 for a rebuild, sounds reasonable if this heads south on me.

(2) Cold temperatures make it worse. I find it odd this is the first vehicle with a manual trans that needs to warm up. I had an AMC automatic that would not move for thirty seconds after starting it. posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=15261#

(3) A "gentle firm shift" works. Power shifting / slamming it in to gear not so good.

The wrong lube or city driving in the lower gears is highly likely.

It's a Northeast vehicle, but with surprisingly little rust.

Thanks alot for the posts!http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=15261#

Chrysler's new oil spec now call for 10w-40 engine oil in the AX-15.

And for what it's worth, I've had a couple manual trannys in my Jeeps that needed to warm up a bit to work well. :dunno:

Yup........same problem here......and only 96K on the clock........cold mornings, and 2nd don't like to be used :headpop:

But, I found that if I double clutch, it will go into 2nd :D

Another item I need to change to the synthetic lube :hmm:

Another item I need to change to the synthetic lube :hmm:

Yup...if you use a Synthetic gear oil like AMSOIL or Royal Purple...there is no sulfur to worry about and you don't have to worry about running motor oil in your tranny :doh: .

My AX-15 went out at about 55K and had to be rebuilt so getting that many miles out of one that has had the wrong fluid in it is real good.

This - if you havent figured it out from the posts yet, is a very common problem on the AX15- it can be lessend to some extent by using a heavy gear lube- but warmth seems to be the trick. Ive always assumed that the syncro is just not lining up correctly- maybe its just not spinning as fast as the countershaft- Light weight gear lube made it worse on mine- but heavy weight gear lube lessened the pressure to ease it to second...

Ive always just barely held it against the gate an let it slide in to second- or jam shift to third- fact is, mines always been like that....and I can't remember a MJ Ive rode in that the owner didnt mention "seems hard to go into first early in the mornings for some reason".

drive on-

I've had the same problem in both my BA 10/5s, in my Dad's AX-15, occasionally my AX-5. My AX-15 does it too, all the time, in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, but that's because the PO raced it a lot and must've jammed it in gear a lot.

Double clutching always seemed to help.

Ya'll are correct...it is a problem, but it does get to a point that you cannot shift because of the use of fluids with sulfur in them destroying the syncros, which is why I had to have mine rebuilt several years ago. Since the rebuild and the use of AMSOIL 75w-90 gear oil, it shifts very smooth in all gears.

yea mine is the same way when it gets below zero. i notice even when sittting still it doesnt like to move between gears real well and its hard to feel when it actually goes into a gear. once i get moving i just double clutch for a few blocks and after about 10 blocks or so all is good. i prolly need a lighter weight gear oil in it. ive got 90 wt in it mainely just for long summer trips that i was taking

I just usually keep my hand on the shifter at most times, solves any issues that may arise. Plus if any problems do arise, I can respond to them a lot quicker, as I don't have to take the second or two to reach for the shifter.

I just usually keep my hand on the shifter at most times, solves any issues that may arise. Plus if any problems do arise, I can respond to them a lot quicker, as I don't have to take the second or two to reach for the shifter.

:agree:

I usually only take my hand off if I'm in 5th. With not-the-greatest brakes, I need to be able to downshift quickly sometimes.