steering box?

Awesome thank you for the follow up. I considered picking up a Junkyard piece but it will undoubtedly need new seals at the least. Is a rebuild much of a headache? A rebuildt unit from Rock Auto is $107.00. Depending on what a used unit from the yard cost a reseal kit is $20. What you guys think? 

Edit: Here is a great video on how to rebuild the gear box.

https://youtu.be/661ov4GIXAA

Unless you know exactly what ratio is installed, stay away from the rebuilt boxes as most of them use the slower 14:1 ratio that you have now. To be sure you get the 12.7:1 ratio use a genuine ZJ yard box with low mileage. I picked one up from a 96 ZJ with 65K on it and it worked fine with no leaks that a can on Lucas stop leak couldn't fix. Hasn't leaked for years and is still tight.

I agree with Hornbrod, I got my steering box out of a 98ZJ this last memorial day weekend for 50%off at the pick a part and made a HUGE difference on my MJ, it gives it a much more modern feel best 30 bucks I've spent on the front suspension so far. :banana:

Ok. I can rebuild a stock box myself, the reason i questioned it was that alot of times I think I am saving money by doing things myself when in reality I could of bought new for not much more money and alot less headache. But if the rebuilt boxes possibly have the slower ratio I can justify a Saturday rebuilding a junkyard box, if it needs it. I need to rebuild my CJ box anyways so it will be good practice as they are probably similar. Thanks for all the input!

I'm just gonna scrounge the yard for a ZJ and inspect the boxes for Leaks.  As long as I don't find one leaking like a siv, I will just clean it up as best I can, flush it, install it, and adjust it until I am satisfied.  My current box has 140,000 miles with no leak and only needed a little bit of adjustment.  If I get something around the same miles and condition, I'm good with it.

Quick question: does the ZJ box give the steering any degree of road feel? Coming from my other car's fancy speed-sensitive rack&pinion setup, the MJ's steering seems pretty antiquated. It's also way too easy to turn the wheel IMO.

Quick question: does the ZJ box give the steering any degree of road feel? Coming from my other car's fancy speed-sensitive rack&pinion setup, the MJ's steering seems pretty antiquated. It's also way too easy to turn the wheel IMO.

Go to a later model pump and you'll reduce the pressure, making it feel more normal.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/durango-steering-box-upgrade-3805/

There's also a 99~ Dodge Durango steering box. iirc you can also get them with hydro assist.

They bolt right in, Are heavier duty, and Are quicker than the mj/xj steering box, Idr the exact ratio though.

You can also swap in the power steering pump from a v8 grand cherokee, Its NEARLY bolt on.. You have to tap the pump to a larger bolt size, Then drill out the mounting bracket & plug one simple return line. Took me maybe 2 hours.

As far as I've read, the Durango steering boxes are even slower than the stock MJ gear. Great off-road box though.

I went with the ZJ box and an 04 Wrangler pump. To me it's a perfect (and cheap) setup for the road. Feels better than my new JK.

As far as I've read, the Durango steering boxes are even slower than the stock MJ gear. Great off-road box though.

I went with the ZJ box and an 04 Wrangler pump. To me it's a perfect (and cheap) setup for the road. Feels better than my new JK.

I have one installed in my mj, I can assure you they're quicker (Or at least the year i got mine out of)

I'll try to find what ratio it is, I know they came in a few different ones.