Window Wipers

I am at a loss :dunno: . My windshield wipers are not working - well just when I need them most. First off, on the rare occasions when they do work they are weak = underpowered? I thought it might be the delay box, but that did not help. They have not worked in weeks. Some times they would move an inch then stop. It was raining today and no wipers. I get home 4 hours later and pull into the garage. I forgot I had left them in the wipe position and they came on :fs1: . My questions are - are the motors notoriously weak, and would missing that plastic insert under the cowl cause this to happen - maybe water logged? Oh yeah, I also have not put the windshield washer fluid reservoir and pump back in- could this cause it? I would really appreciate some feed back on this one because I am just too burnt out to figure it out. The good news is I am driving the MJ everyday, but this forces me to address all the known and unknown issues. - Rich

I here you Rich. Mine either go so fast that they go off the side of the windshield then come back and hit the cowl below the windshield or they barely move at all. I just got another used motor for $12 from a place near me that sells jeep parts.

Rich...mine were recently acting up similar to that and got to where they only worked if set on the low speed...and then they were so slow that they were useless. I got a reman motor at Autozone for $75 and now everything is good :thumbsup:

Yes, I agree w. Taz, must be the motor itself. While you're in there also replace the linkage nylon bushings (3), they are in the Autismzone HELP! section. But in looking at another post of yours in which your brake switch connector was fried, also check the motor connector, CHROME PAINTER! :D

I here you Rich. Mine either go so fast that they go off the side of the windshield then come back and hit the cowl below the windshield or they barely move at all. I just got another used motor for $12 from a place near me that sells jeep parts.

That flopping around is caused by worn bushings at the joints where the linkage arms join up. There's a replacement bushing kit in the HELP! line at all the parts chains. From memory, I'll say I *THINK* the number is 49555. I'll try to confirm that when I get to the basement later ... if I remember to look.

Thanks everyone :cheers: . I think I will go with the consensus and get a new motor - thanks for the web address Wahoo. I will also pick up the nylon bushings like Eagle and Chromebrod ;) suggested.

Pete, I replaced the intermittent wiper box and had the same results. If the motor does not fix the problem, I will have to get a new one :( at 100 bucks.

teamcherokee.com has wiper motors for $50, just another option.

Now ya tell me... :ack: ;)

I need to look at that site a little more often, but I just don't seem to think of them when I need things like that.

yeah Taz, always worth looking at them because in addition to some items that are still available as NOS or aftermarket, i.e. the Crown wiper motor, they are also kind of clearance center sometimes i think. i've seen some items on there that they may get a very limited inventory of a hard to find item and, as they say, "when it's gone, it's gone".

That flopping around is caused by worn bushings at the joints where the linkage arms join up. There's a replacement bushing kit in the HELP! line at all the parts chains. From memory, I'll say I *THINK* the number is 49555. I'll try to confirm that when I get to the basement later ... if I remember to look.

I bought the bushings but then the "added attraction" of the wipers barely moving at times decided to join in; so I figure I will just replace the whole thing.