off brand tires

Are they really worth buying? I had some 33" wild country mud terrains that I bought for 700 + installation and balancing on my old jeep. I wasn't able to drive on them for long though. That's the cheapest 33" I've seen so far. BFGoodrich 33" are like $205 average on most sites ive looked at. So my question is, is it really worth paying the extra 50 or so a tire for what I have noticed the same tread on them just for a name?

Thanks

PFC Monk

the tread can look the same an it might even be identical.

but the "guts" of the tire are where you get the "ride" from.

if the tire has a super high load rating then the will most likely have a stiffer side wall and harder ride.

the inside of a tire had steel belts that a woven wire kinda.

if you buy tires or are going to try to find a friend of some one who has them on their car or truck and see how they feel .

"""REMEMBER""" you get what you pay for.

now i know that the suspension has a lot to do with this as well but i wil let some one else talk about that .

BFG AT's have the rep they have because they are a high quality well built tire. There are others copycats out there, but like our other friends said, the way its built makes the difference. Ive tried the cheap tires too, only to encounter disappointment with ride or wear, or cupping, or just plain having the tires rot off before they are even worn out. It does pay to buy the good stuff, if only for your own satifaction.

I would never recommend the BFG AT's, but the Mt's are good. The AT's were useless to me...wet road traction was very poor, they would not go anywhere in sand and they got stuck on wet grass :shake: . Some have said they are good in snow, but that is something that I don't have the ability to test...nor do I care to ;)

I prefer my Swampers or Xterrains :thumbsup: ...although...the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 2002 Ram have done very well for an AT / Street tire, but I would never go less aggressive than the Terra Grappler.

I run mud king tires. They are made by bfg but are only about 150 a tire for 35s.

They ride decent and last for about 35,000 miles. That includes heavy offroad use.

I ran procomps mts before these and didnt like the ride or wear. They are very noisy on the

Road though.

Thanks for the replys. This should help me better off in choosing and saving for tires when I get back down to the orlando/oviedo area.

I just have 1 more question, is that 4.5" rough country lift for $505 worth it? I probably don't need 4.5" for 33"s, but I kind of like sitting a little higher, and I think large tires on no lift looks weird lol.

Thanks

PFC Monk

BFG definately has the rep, but there are others to consider as well. I found an off brand MT,the Federal Couragia MT, that seems to have some fairly decent reviews.I like the tread pattern,has anyone tried these?Also take a look at the Khumo Road Venture KL71 MT

SEMPER FI

on the tire thing, i am not in total agreement with everyone else. :dunno:

i think cheap tires can be fine, even great. you just need to compare tire to tire and forget what it says on the side. there are really only a few companies that manufacture tires. the cheap ones are made by someone else. if you go into some of the websites, some will actually tell you the manufacturer of the model tire you're looking at. others won't let you know.

so when you look for tires, educate yourself on tread design, sipeing, sidewall construction, belts, and footprint. compare each tire, not the manufacturer. bfg's are great, i love them, but there are other great cheaper tires out there.

as an example, look at sport compact and road race cars. 10-20 years ago, you wondered what fusion, avon, or hankook tires were. you knew goodyear, bfg, yokahoma, and perelli. now, some of the most popular and "best" tires are what used to be off brand "cheap" tires. unfortunately, that means the "cheap" tires, well, aren't. the off brands gained popularity when buyers started looking at the tire design and make up to chose the best they could afford and that would fit the need.

i also wouldn't worry too much about the mileage warranty on tires unless you spend the majority of your time on paved roads. off road wears out tires. driving alot of gravel destoys tires very quickly. unfortunately, most tire companies warranties only cover "normal" wear. they decide what "normal" is, not you. we all know that companies aren't out to give you free tires. i will say that, as far as warranty, i have had the best luck with uniroyal. i've been running them on my audi for about 12 years now. i used to live in the country and drive alot of gravel. i was/am running their "rally" series tires. i have had them replaced with a new set 3 times, no charge. i couldn't beleive it since the wear was obviously due to excessive gravel use.

i am not saying that off brand tires are better or the way to go, i'm just saying you should decide what you need and find the tire that fits that need (no matter what brand). :smart:

on a sidebar, has anyone here tried the retread tires from tread whrite?

http://treadwright.com/default.aspx

they are using bfg's as their base. i have actually heard alot of good things but haven't tried them myself. i read some reviews over the last few years that have been pretty good. they are a cheaper option and still have the bfg sidewalls that make bfg tires so great.

A buddy of mine is running their 31x10.50 15 M/T-Rs on his Dakota and is quite happy with them so far. Has only had them for 6 months or so, though.

I don't think they use BFG carcasses exclusively, though. They use whatever they can get their hands on and passes their quality tests. I'll have to see what's on the Dakota.

I just have 1 more question, is that 4.5" rough country lift for $505 worth it? I probably don't need 4.5" for 33"s, but I kind of like sitting a little higher, and I think large tires on no lift looks weird lol.

Thanks

PFC Monk

4.5" is actually what you need if you want to run 33's without needing to cut it :thumbsup: . I agree with you about tire clearance...I hate to see a truck with a tire stuffed in the wheel well...there should be plenty of room all around the tire :yes: . The stuffed tight look is for low-riders & ricers ;)

A buddy of mine is running their 31x10.50 15 M/T-Rs on his Dakota and is quite happy with them so far. Has only had them for 6 months or so, though.

I don't think they use BFG carcasses exclusively, though. They use whatever they can get their hands on and passes their quality tests. I'll have to see what's on the Dakota.

yes. i think you're correct. :oops: i don't think they use bfg only.

i'd be interested in what your buddy has to say about them. i don't know how much cheaper they would be after shipping, mounting, and balancing.

yes. i think you're correct. :oops: i don't think they use bfg only.

i'd be interested in what your buddy has to say about them. i don't know how much cheaper they would be after shipping, mounting, and balancing.

His sidewalls say Bridgestone Dueller AT. I think he paid just over $400 for 4 of them shipped. They are 31x10.50x15 M/T-G. He then paid $15 per tire to have them mounted and balanced, so about $460 total. he's happy with the so far, although he did get stuck in the mud enough that he had to use 4wd to get out. Then again, my Comanche had to be pulled out of the same spot :oops: by a ZJ.

I ran a set of 31x10.5 off brand on my lifted ZJ for about 25,000 miles. They were Starfire A/T's made by Cooper I think. With my discount through the dealership I paid about 80.00 each for them. That was in 2001. I had always run name brand tires before that. Like them alot more than the GS/A's they replaced.

I have to add a comment for a different approach. That is retread tires. I'm running re-tread mud tires now on my MJ and so far have loved the tires and their ability. And what I loved the most was the cost. I do hardly not serous highway driving.

5 - 30x9.50 delivered to my house was $400

I checked the price for some 33's and they run about $110 per tired delivered.