dana 30

i got a question, are all dana 30s the same? like one off a cj? or what other options do i have that got 4.10 besides the dana 30? and one last question, how much damage would a 31" tire hurt a dana 35 with 4.10 if i do light wheeling ?

No, all D30 are NOT the same. Many parts are, but as a whole, NO they are not.

History has proven the D35 isnt the strongest of jeep rears. Def not the best choice for a wheeler. Will it hold up, who knows. I have personally seen a couple go a long time with abuse and 35" tires. I have also personally blown one on the street with 31's. Early V8 ZJs used them too. Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

One thing is for absolute certainty, don't put any money into one. If you do blow it, use it to you advantage and UPGRADE.

CW

Look for one out of an XJ or a TJ, as they will bolt right in. Mid-Late '90's are better as they have the larger u-joints and are a 1 peice shaft. Most 4cyl manual's will have the 4.10's.

Edit: D60's won't "bolt-in". You can make anything fit though if they are the correct side drop with a little bit of time and $$$...

i found some dana 60s will those work?http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/1019463189.html

The ground clearance itself would be a big issue (plus the install stuff that LnF mentioned)... Unless you are going pretty big tires...35+ I would guess... I know a guy in our club had D60's on a TJ with 35's and there wasn't much room between the ground and the bottom of the pumpkin...he's gone up to 38's I think now.

SW2

i found a dana 30 in a comanche 6cyl auto 4x4 will the front have 4.10 and will a long bed drivetrain on rear work on a short bed ? and another in a cherokee 4cyl 5spd but i don't know antidisestablishmentarianism the ratio is but ill prob take the tranny and t- out of it though

Just a note, in 2000 Chrysler moved back to a low pinion D30 for some reason. I'd look for one from a 99 or earlier, the hi pinion ones will be a little stronger in the ring gear than a low pinion would be.

CJ and YJ D30's are leaf sprung. YJ's will have the pumpkin on the correct side for you, the CJ's are on the opposite side. Adding the coil mounts and control arm mounts is a bit of a pain in the @$$. Also, the CJ ball joints go in backwards compared to YJ and later D30's. Don't know why they did that but if you're scavenging parts from different axles, these parts definitely will not interchange.

Lastly, try to find one without a vacuum disconnect system. This is a little fitting in the middle of the long side of the axle. It splits the axle shaft in two and uses a sleeve that reconnects the two halves by vacuum pressure. The vacuum system breaks about as often as a CPS does, and the axle is not as strong as a D30 without this system.

Look for one out of an XJ or a TJ, as they will bolt right in. Mid-Late '90's are better as they have the larger u-joints and are a 1 peice shaft. Most 4cyl manual's will have the 4.10's.

TJ Dana 30s are not a good choice -- they are low pinion. The XJ Dana 30 was high pinion through 1999, and in 2000 the XJ also switched to a low pinion front axle.

The best choice for a front axle is an XJ Dana 30 with the larger u-joints, which would be one with ABS from about 1992 up, and I think any XJ from 1997 thru 1999.

The TJ/00XJ/01XJ axle will work fine for up to maybe 3" of lift. Beyond that I'd look for something high-pinion.

i found a dana 30 in a comanche 6cyl auto 4x4 will the front have 4.10 and will a long bed drivetrain on rear work on a short bed ? and another in a cherokee 4cyl 5spd but i don't know antidisestablishmentarianism the ratio is but ill prob take the tranny and t- out of it though

If the XJ/MJ had a 4.0L, the axles will likely have 3.08 or 3.55 gears. If it's the 2.8L v6, then there's a chance it'll have 4.10s.

Yes similar drivetrains will swap directly between longbeds and shortbeds (except the rear driveshaft).

The 2.5L/5-speed XJ will likely have 4.10s. :thumbsup: