How well do rear XJ fender flares fit the MJ?

So what everyone is saying is I SHOULDNT have litterally ripped off my MINT condition rear flares when I went to cut outs? And should have preserved them carefully? @#&$%#%@&@%

Yes, that's what we're saying.

Please post your mailing address so I'll know where to send the letter bomb you have just earned.

General rule of thumb when working on any vehicle that has been out of production for more than twenty years -- don't scrap or trash ANYTHING.

Many years ago a couple of friends and I found a back-country junkyard (really a farmer's back field) that had a couple of Hudsons in it. We were all active with Hudsons at the time, so we took a road trip up to see what he had. A few early 50s sedans, nothing special and nothing there we wanted or needed. Then he mentioned that he had recently chopped up a '46 Hudson pickup. YIKES! Most people didn't know Hudson even made pickups, and they only made them for two years after WW2: 1946 and 1947. (And they made one 1948 prototype, in the new "step-down" body style.) You think MJs are rare? Try Hudson pickups. So after telling us (as if he'd done a good thing) that he had scrapped a Hudson pickup, he proudly announced, "But I saved the rear axle."

:doh:

The rear axle of a 1946/47 Hudson is just about the ONLY part that nobody other than an absolute purist would ever want. The trucks were overbuilt and very strong, but the rear axles were (to be charitable) junk.

This thread does bring some light onto my thinkings..... I installed a set of Napier flares into my MJ and when I did the back I did ponder "hmm these honestly don't look much bigger" but that would make sense if there designed for the XJ which apparently ~2" smaller. Thus making it a big improvement for XJs but then not too much on MJs.

Hmm My 92 mj has 01 xj flares on it

wo6i8bW.jpg

I am curious on this though..... is there maybe a difference in sizing between old and new XJ body cladding other then rounded edges? Why would these fit and not the old style?

BTW. Very nice Comanche!

Neither style fit. I have tried both on the rear of my MJs and I can tell you from first hand experience that they do not fit. Period.

The 97 and newer flares don't go all the way to the bottom of the bed. They are cut off about 7" short in the rear for the plastic bumper caps.

Neither style fit. I have tried both on the rear of my MJs and I can tell you from first hand experience that they do not fit. Period.

The 97 and newer flares don't go all the way to the bottom of the bed. They are cut off about 7" short in the rear for the plastic bumper caps.

but this white one clearly has them on...?   I'm not doubting you, and who knows the possible modifications to make them fit... but hard to agree to no when I'm looking at yes, ya catch my drift?

They are rear XJ flares somewhat mounted on there. They don't fit. I can see they don't fit right. Catch my drift?

If it was that easy to put them one do you honestly think I would not have put them on my truck? I have a custom one of set off fiberglass rear 97+ flares. I can't put them on for fear of breaking them.

I mean they look like they fit perfect to the body lines.... whether or not there actually rear flares or front flares reversed and then the body line cut off to make it look finished. Not sure. Again not looking to make am argument. Just saying what I'm seeing.

For anyone reading this.

Cherokee flares *regardless of year, front or rear, or how many doors the XJ has* will NOT work on the rear of an MJ without modification to either the flare or the body of the truck. The rear flare opening on the MJ is both taller and wider than that of the XJ. Please see the links below for pictures and clarifaction if you still have any questions.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/24997-97-xj-rear-bumper-swap/

http://comancheclub.com/topic/21031-fender-flares-for-a-comanche-with-cherokee-2001-front/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/comanche-rear-fender-flares-612972/

http://comancheclub.com/topic/8271-fender-flares/

In conclusion, Cherokee flares will not work on the rear of a Comanche without modification.