Gladiator

sinnaevd

the deisel (from the website) that would be in your libby would be the same in the Gladiator as of right now, but a different version. the Gladiator concept has more torque, but same HP. i think there is about 50 FT.LBs more.

Which is better command trac or select trac? (these are the same concept as NP231 and 242 correct?)

Not my Libby (yet). The libby has 295 ft-lbs and, since it's a diesel, getting more power out of it is a snap. Well, as soon as the aftermarket catches up. There are some products out there already though.

Not my Libby (yet). The libby has 295 ft-lbs and, since it's a diesel, getting more power out of it is a snap. Well, as soon as the aftermarket catches up. There are some products out there already though.

TS performance has a module out for it.

there are sooooo many diesel chips out there, but I can't help but worry about them. I've seen a lot of friends rice rockets go KABOOM over those chips, and Ive seen 1 diesel as well. seems like risky business to me. Banks Power would be about the onlyu place I would trust for it

the key with those systems is to get one with an EGT.

EGT is crucial on a diesel, and if it get's too hot you'll do damage. Most of the better systems have you put in an EGT probe, and you can monitor it, the ECU should defuel the motor if the EGT get's too high.

how are they with the tranny's? I've never seen the deisel shift hard, but i've HEARD of it. word of mouth could be misleading, no suprise there. but i know in the rice rockets, their is a tendacy to really hammer the gears when it shifts on an auto. you can feel the whole car jump when it shifts (and trust me, its not the new power and torque)

Maybe. :dunno: I hear that this particular Diesel is going to be discontinued soon in the Libby due to problems with new emissions regs. Not sure what will replace it.

The Liberty diesel was run entirely as a 'marketing gauge' . They had no intention to produce it for longer than 2-3 years, and in fact knew it would not be able to be made to pass the new emissions standards. However, the public's reaction to it was great enough that they will be putting the other CRD engine that daimler owns (somehow) in the grands and libbys after they get it figured out. The new engine is pretty much the same as the old, but a bit bigger and with a heck of a lot better fuel system.

And on the chipped diesels being hard on trannys... Typically diesel engines came in vehicles that were designed for towing/stump pulling, and thus already had a massively strong tranny (can anybody say allison?). But, like any modification it will have ramifications, and typically you wind up having to buy a better TQ and tranny cooler. However, the liberty was NOT designed to tow/pull stumps. It's a plushy luxary IFS SUV wanna-be. So I somehow doubt the tranny would be up to massive modifcations to the engine.

Although, a chip on the lib engine is going to give you 15-25lb/f, not the crazy 150+ that you can get out of a cummins...

Oh yeah, and a faster shifting tranny is better than a slow one. It's a friction thing.

Allison.

My dad has the 5 level chip in his '04 Superduty (Banks, I think). Has adjustable mixtures, turbo timing (somehow), and other stuff. I don't understand it, I just put everything to the highest level and watch the tires burn at half throttle.

Anywho, it has an exhaust temperature sensor, and when the exhaust gets up to 1600 degrees it kicks down a level, and another level if that's not enough. Also, the tranny temp sensor's easily visable.

I LLLOOOVVVEEE the Superduty.

Allison.

My dad has the 5 level chip in his '04 Superduty (Banks, I think). Has adjustable mixtures, turbo timing (somehow), and other stuff. I don't understand it, I just put everything to the highest level and watch the tires burn at half throttle.

Anywho, it has an exhaust temperature sensor, and when the exhaust gets up to 1600 degrees it kicks down a level, and another level if that's not enough. Also, the tranny temp sensor's easily visable.

I LLLOOOVVVEEE the Superduty.

1600 is way too hot on a diesel. Not too bad for a few seconds, but no way you would want to stay in the throttle. I let out about 1350-1400. I feel pretty comfortable running sustained 1300.

Oh, as for the auto tranny, in my PSD, after a little work to it, it'll bark the tires when it shifts into 2nd gear!

the 6spd is suppose to be standard (and I sure hope it is)

I would also like to see them go to the variable gear rear end. 4.11's for towing, 3.07 for highway...it was done befor in a chev i believe. I will have to confirm that one though. and if not, its a heck of an idea i think. problems would defiantely be the accurate mileage? maybe that's why it hasn't been done for so long.

a 4cyl deisel should be pretty decent on gas n e way no?>

I don't think you can change it on the fly. Now i have no witenssed this for myself, so if this is BS, I apologize, its all hear-say is what i'm going on.

I was told that its an adjustment( whether it be a switch, or bolt of whatever no idea) that allows you a change in the rearend without taking it apart. still has to be done manually, just extremely easily.

that is a damn good point, and that definately just ended any thought I had on further researchign the topic lol!

i definately would take a tranny over a variable axle

What about both??? It could be the ultimate highway"er"

its a current challenge faced by the supermileage team here at the UofW...might have been last years problem i think. i htink they had trouble finding the right trans to axle ratio and it ended up pooping out the engine.

silly engineers..

• 5 months later...

bringing it back from the dead.

i am also a member on the gladiator forum (jeepgladiator.org). i found out that you can order brochures if you call this number: 1-800-992-1997. and we have a plan to call and bug them really bad also right now since the car show is going on. we all think it would be great for the gladiator if we all called wanting to know about it instead of their latest car concept, the trailhawk. so if you want brochure and want to see this thing made, then start calling.

Alex