Tow Hooks?

I recentley purchased some factory tow hooks from an outstanding fellow board member and was wonderinf if anyone had a pic or something of how the heck to assemble them, i always thought it was just one beacket for each hook, but it came with a bunch of other "brackets" as well.thanks.

Erik :beerhead:

• 4 months later...

So does anyone actually have a pic of their factory hooks installed? i have a couple of questions, number one is the brackets on the bottom(number 2 in the pic) where do they attach? also the part labled 3, is ther supposed to be a captive nut from the factory in the frame to fasten it to? and what are the brackets lable 1 for?

Image Not Found

thanks

Erik

i just put those on mine, and i didn't like the way they went on. on one side that one you're talking about had no hole anywhere, a couple holes weren't even close.

kinda off topic, but i have this factory style on my mj, and these hi country on my xj.

i'll never recomend anything but these hi country, they went on fantastic, like they were supposed to, no bumper removal, and they are heavy duty. beefier than the factory stuff.

http://www.hicountryoffroad.com/Product ... covery.htm

ya, i just read through that thread, thats pretty cool. i put mine on last year, and i'm happy with them, done some recovery with them, they are very solid, no complaints.

installation is a million times better than the factory junk, and the plates on these are twice as beefy as the factory brackets.

So does anyone actually have a pic of their factory hooks installed? i have a couple of questions, number one is the brackets on the bottom(number 2 in the pic) where do they attach? also the part labled 3, is ther supposed to be a captive nut from the factory in the frame to fasten it to? and what are the brackets lable 1 for?

Image Not Found

thanks

Erik

ok, number 1 i don't have either, just another spot to tow from with a hook or something, not important.

number 2, the two holes go throught the hook bolts obviously, and then the other hole points towards the middle of the jeep. one side had a hole for this, the other didn't. i guess you can drill a hole and put a nut and bolt in the other side, i didn't on mine.

number 3, mine came with bolts that looked like original. if you don't have them, just get a nut and bolt ong enough to go through would be my best idea.

well, i figured out where the number 2 bracket goes, i reversed them :dunce: and all the holes lines right up, i thought they were supposed to point out toward the front of the truck because the drivers side bracket lined up perfectly with some 13mm bolt but nothing on the passanger side, but when i flipped them they lined up with 2 holes on the frame, the number one brackets i don't even have i just needed to know if there were important or if there were to adapt some other option i don't have and the other part in the back, there isnt a hole that goes all the way through thats why i asked if there was supposed to be a captive nut. I do like those hi country ones, one day ill get the ones with the d ring mounts, but until then....

Thanks

Erik

Here are what the stock fasteners that you labeled #3 in the diagram look like. The passenger and driver side (left and right in the picture, respectively) are different, the nut on the passenger side fits into the frame rail. Both bolts are Torx head.

I have a set of hooks from Custom 4x4 on the Comanche and like them. Installation wasn't that bad, and after some abuse pulling vehicles and dragging downed trees they are doing fine. There's a set of hooks on the Cherokee that may or may not be the factory ones as I never looked that closely at them. Even if they are, they were not factory installed as the cut outs on the air dam are a hack job.