i need some answers fast! new to the forum, please help!!!

ok, i'm new to this forum. i can't believe i didn't get here sooner. i'm a die hard jeep guy but picked up my first mj in june. it's a great little truck and i have wanted one to go with my other jeeps for a long time, so i'm happy with it.

it is an 87 pioneer with 93k miles on it. it's the 4 banger with the auto/overdrive tranny with the comfort/power option. it has a/c and 4 wheel drive. the guy i got it from did a few odd things with it so i can't figure much out about it and hope you guys can help.

i am going to do some work on it this weekend and next week so i'm hopping to get some info. i am going to put a new alternator in it. the old one toasted. trying to find the right one seems pretty simple, but it has to be ordered and is pretty pricey. is there a better option than just the original that may be an in stock item and maybe cheaper?

it has a bent steering rod on it. the rod from the left front wheel that connects in the middle to the right drag link is badly bent. i am trying to find one and i'm wondering if a used one off a cherokee will work. if so, what years will fit? do i need to replace both rods or can i just do the one? is there a trick to removing it in a jy without air tools? there is several feet of snow on the ground so i'd like to be prepeared for anything after i dig out enough snow to get under one in the jy. could this one just be straightened safely?

the previous owner put some cruddy whitewall commuter car tires on it. they are totally bald. i am planing on replacing them this weekend or early next week so i can start using the truck in the snow. i need to know what the original size tires are for it. i use it to haul a few things and run my hunting dogs around in the summer, and now my wife is going to use it as a dd for winter. i don't need it to be a big offroader, i have other vehicles for that. i want to get the best gas mileage possible. the current tires are 215-75-15's. i kinda want to put 235's on it but i'm concerned about the power loss at start up.

this truck is totally guttless. if your pulling on the highway in traffic, it's a wing and a prayer. i mean this thing is really slow. because of this, i wonder if it came with smaller tires on it. if the 215's are original, will i really notice the difference in 235's? it's not like i need alot of power, i don't even switch it over to the power option on the tranny. my biggest concern is gas mileage. i've got big trucks to pull and other jeeps for trails, i just like using the little truck to run around in. i guess to decide on what size i want, i need to know what size the truck started with. please let me know how i can find this out. most of the vin stickers have been painted over :fs1: .

thanks in advance for your help. :bowdown:

welcome!

...the starter will be in stock at an advance auto, bumper to bumper, or likewise. if not, it's a day to get it usually.

the tie rod you can get from a cherokee. to take one off without a pickle fork, remove the cotter pin, remove the nut, then thread the nut on just a bit. grab a cro-bar and wedge it between the tie rod and the part which the tie rod end is bolted through. hammer on the part that the tie rod goes through (NOT the tie rod) while applying force to the cro-bar.

215's should be your stockers, 235's you may notice a little bit of decrease in giddyup.

the transmission you have is an aw4 automatic. the only years for that transmission in a cherokee or comanche with 4 cylinder are 87 and 88...it requires a special computer (don't worry they are factory installed) to run with a 4 cylinder, and a different (and rare) bellhousing and torque converter.

run it in power option on the switch only. it is more economical in the power option than in the comfort option, and it should give you a somewhat noticeable increase in acceleration. the switch is completely pointless and 1991+ jeeps equipped with the aw4 have the power setting hardwired in with no switch.

-Pat

JeepcoMJ: thanks for the info. i was wondering about the alternator, not the stater. it just seems to me to be something that can be sourced from another model, maybe higher amps.

i should run it with the tranny in power mode? it has more acceleration for sure, but i thought it's hurt the gas mileage. i am very concerned with mpg's with this little truck. so far i've been getting between 21 and 22. i really don't want to change that. but if i put it in power mode it won't hurt mpg's?

what do you think about my idea of bumping up to 235's? think it will hurt my mpg's much? the main reason i'm thinking of the change is that the stock tires are so small, i think something a little bigger will make the truck handle better, especially if i have a load in the bed. i also have a great deal i can get on a new set in 235's. if it's not a good idea to make the change, i'll just spend more and get the 215's.

thanks for your imput. i'm eager to get going on this project.

235s shouldn't hurt it much. Be aware that any change in tire height will change your speedometer and odometer a little and will affect your mpg calculations (a taller tire will make them seem worse than they are). There is a small plastic gear in the t-case (4wd) or trans (2wd) at the end of the speedo cable that can be swapped out to correct the speedo/odo.

The power/comfort switch only changes the rpms at which the transmission shifts. It doesn't affect the fuel curve.

Most people just leave it in "power" mode. :thumbsup: You might actually get better mpgs in power because you'll be flooring it less to merge with traffic since the engien will now keep in it's torque sweet-spot a little longer.

The power option will delay the shift point to a higher rpm. I use it occasionally on my 4.0, but not much because the engine makes decent power. I get good gas mileage (for a 4 litre) with the switch set to comfort. It would be worth leaving it to power for a long trip to see how it affect mileage, but common sense tells me it should go down.

Then again, common sense has been wrong before.

As for the alternator, there are two different ones. The higher output is larger in diameter and a tight fit. I don't know for a fact if the brackets are the same, but (at least at Advance Auto Parts) they cost the same and are usually in stock.

And welcome to the club!

higher rpms do not necessarily directly translate to poorer fuel mileage. It's all about getting the engine to work at its peak torque in the power band. For the 4.0L, that is pretty low in the rpm range. For the 2.5L, it's a bit higher and I'm betting the comfort setting shifts the trans too early (resulting in a loss of power in that gear, but also a loss of power in the next gear since the engine then falls below it's peak torque.

JeepcoMJ: thanks for the info. i was wondering about the alternator, not the stater. it just seems to me to be something that can be sourced from another model, maybe higher amps.

It¿s a GM Delco alternator, but the space in which it fits is tight. It's my understanding (I have not tried to test this) that a higher output alternator has a deeper housing, and it won't fit the space available.

I had my original alternator casing re-spooled for extra amps. I don’t know how common this is or if you have anyone locally that does this, but it worked for me.

235s shouldn't hurt it much. Be aware that any change in tire height will change your speedometer and odometer a little and will affect your mpg calculations (a taller tire will make them seem worse than they are). There is a small plastic gear in the t-case (4wd) or trans (2wd) at the end of the speedo cable that can be swapped out to correct the speedo/odo.

i know the difference in the speedo/odo. well i will if i know the original tire size that is. but will it actually get better or worse mpg's? i'm very concerned about the mpg's on this truck. it fit's the spot of cheap run around rig in my line-up. if i lose the mileage, than it takes it out of it's place in the line up and just becomes another vehicle. i'm not getting rid of it for poor mpg's, i just wouldn't drive it as much.

i really like this little truck and would love to use it as my, or my wife's daily driver if the mpg's are decent like they are now. the only reason i'm thinking of the change is because i need new tires now or i can't drive it in the snow and ice. i have been looking at tires and i can get a set of the original goodyear wranglers new for about $100 cheaper than the cheapest tires i've found. the only catch is they only have the 235's at that price. i will probably get them this weekend if i can determine the original tire size so i can make the calculations on how much it will effect things.

thanks for your help. i'm so glad i found this site. it's great having you guys available for questions.

well i got 235x75x15 and i get about 17mpg and 5mph faster on speedo with the factory setup

i know I'm doing better with my mpgs like I'm getting 19 but the odo and speedo ar off so calculating milage is a pain

and i found out i was going 5mph faster becuase of a speed camera i was going 50 mph on guage and really was going 55 :ack:

just an idea here

we all know that the d35 sucks right :fs1: well maybe the PO broke one and replaced it with a 3.55 or even a 3.07

didnt the 4cyl auto come with 4.10 or 4.56

if that 4cly has a 3.55 or heaven forbid 3.07 that would make it feel way underpowered right?

like i said just some food for thought

i know the difference in the speedo/odo. well i will if i know the original tire size that is. but will it actually get better or worse mpg's? i'm very concerned about the mpg's on this truck. it fit's the spot of cheap run around rig in my line-up. if i lose the mileage, than it takes it out of it's place in the line up and just becomes another vehicle. i'm not getting rid of it for poor mpg's, i just wouldn't drive it as much.

i really like this little truck and would love to use it as my, or my wife's daily driver if the mpg's are decent like they are now. the only reason i'm thinking of the change is because i need new tires now or i can't drive it in the snow and ice. i have been looking at tires and i can get a set of the original goodyear wranglers new for about $100 cheaper than the cheapest tires i've found. the only catch is they only have the 235's at that price. i will probably get them this weekend if i can determine the original tire size so i can make the calculations on how much it will effect things.

thanks for your help. i'm so glad i found this site. it's great having you guys available for questions.

Well, there are no guarantees in life, but if it was my truck, I'd go with 235s and I'd use the power setting. :thumbsup: