My 1988 MJ RestoMod/Tribute (New pics 01.09.12 on p4)

cool, just wanted to know what your thoughts were. i'll sit on it for a week or two as it sounds like you'd take it once you know your budget etc. on things. i've never posted it for sale before so it can wait. i bought it to get the tire but had to buy the whole thing. just trying to get a little money back out of it. PM me when you know.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a TON of stuff:

POR-15

1 Gallon of Undercoating

Monroe Shocks (F&R):

Front: ZJ UpCountry Monroe Sensatrac shocks (37193). 13.375" compressed and 24.250" extended

Rear: 1993 Toyota T100 4x4 SR5 V6 Monroe Monro-Matic Plus (32270). 15.125" compressed and 25" extended

Motion OffRoad AAL

ZJ V8 front coils Edit: based on info from Marty from Rock Lizard, I ordered a MOOG model CC784 progressive coil spring, which is listed in their catalog as a HD spring for the XJ/MJ. In a side-by-side comparison with the ZJ V8 spring, this was wounde tighter top and bottom, and has coils of a similar thickness. At rest, it is also longer than a ZJ V8 coil.

KYB Steering Stabilizer Edit: Was out of stock. Switched it to a Rough Country model.

Trackbar and Frame bracket/mount from a 97 XJ part-out

cool, just wanted to know what your thoughts were. i'll sit on it for a week or two as it sounds like you'd take it once you know your budget etc. on things. i've never posted it for sale before so it can wait. i bought it to get the tire but had to buy the whole thing. just trying to get a little money back out of it. PM me when you know.

I don't think that the extra Gambler is justified at this time. While I would like to have it, I have 9 spare Jeep rims, one of which is my current full-size spare. Even with just a 235/75/15, it will get me home (and it is free!).

I appreciate your offer, but I cannot justify it at this time, given all of the other stuff that I have had to buy (steering stabilizer, track bar, POR-15, undersoating, shocks) and the parts that I opted to buy (lift parts).

Again, I appreciate the offer, and if things change and you still have it, we can talk then. I still have a paint job to pay for! :doh:

It has been a long and productive few days for the MJ.

First off, I was able to do the POR-15 repair on the floor. I embedded fibrerglaass mesh between the coats of POR-15 (per recommendation from the POR-15 tech support) and I was very impressed with the strength in the end. I also did some fiberglass mesh and POR15 on the underside. I still have one more coat to do on the bottom, and I need to do the undercoating to have it finished.

While I let those coats dry, I got a few other things done. The least of these was changing my air filter and cleaning the box while I had it out to do the shock install (below) and trackbar mount replacement (also below).

I prepped and painted my tailgate handle, which looked like crap but was structurally sound. After masking it all off, I sanded it and cleaned up the surface rust and painted it well. I think it looks pretty good, now.

Additionally, I was able to replace my trackbar and bracket with a set off of a 97 XJ. I have had trouble with loose and shaky steering on this truck since long before I bought it. It has had problems for as long as I can remember, and last week I was able to isolate it (I believed) to the trackbar and/or bracket. Rather than leave it to chance, I replaced them both, and it turns out that it was not the bracket (where I thought that I had elongated the hole for the trackbar) but actually the trackbar itself. The grease was gone, and the joint was so loose that the end just flopped around in the socket. Because the interior was out and the POR15 was drying, I could not test it to see if it was fixed, but I had high hopes.

My last project over the weekend was to install the new shocks. My old ones were toast and I am preparing to do a small lift, so I went with the longer shocks from an UC ZJ V8 and a Toyota SR5 T100 4WD. All of those went in without issue.

Now on to Tuesday, February 10. I had to take my dog to the vet, so I took the whole day off to replace the interior in the truck and to hit the junkyard looking for some additional stuff.

I got the interior back in and took her for a spin to check the shock install andto see whether the new trackbar fixed the shaking problem. IT DID! I was as happy as I could be, knowing that I had finally fixed the dangerous steering situation. I took it on the interstate from one exit to another (about a mile) and at 50-55, I was scared for my life. Yesterday, the truck tracked great on the interstate, even up to 70-75.

Having 30s on it REALLY makes a difference in accelleration, but I really like them. With the new suspension and steering parts finally installed, this was the first time that I have driven her with the new tires. Now all that I have to do is to install my lift and get an alignment!

On to the junkyard run:

JACKPOT!

I found a whole list of things that I was looking for...I wanted a few minor interior and trim parts, but when I got there, I got way more than I had hoped to find.

The list:

XJ footwell lights

Factory fog light control switch (with full pigtail)

97+ front door weatherstripping

FULL SET of window weatherstripping, including inner and outer window wipes (!!!)

T-case trim (the little peice with the bristles)

Black window cranks

Black door handle surrounds (where the window switches would go)

Smooth (93?+) XJ dash facia

Grey driver's side Huskyliner. I never found the passenger one, but they had the rears as well. Weird...

The best part? $20 for ALL OF IT!!! I threw all of this in a bucket and got out of there, as it was raining. They also have some brand-new S10 leaf packs, some 97+ 2-door buckets, and a good pair of MJ taillights. I did not have a Torx screwdriver with me, so I left them. I plan to go back Saturday to grab at least the taillights.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I went on to a second yard, this one not a pick-and-pull, where I found a complete black grille and headlight surrounds (headlight doors) from a 90. I knwo that I will have to remove my upper and lower trim to make them work, but I think it will be worth the time, as my grille and both parts of the passenger side surround are currently broken.

I could not wait to install some of the minor parts. I really think that the new handle trim and window cranks look better then the old chrome ones and the grey cranks:

Before:

After:

Another junkyard run today netted a 97+ valve cover to tro to stop my blowby issue and stem some leaks.

Also, installed my 91+ grille:

Working on a write-up now. It still needs to be removed and painted. This was just the test-fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

Grabbed a spare set of taillights this weekend at the JY, just in case I need them in the future. I also picked up (for cheap) a set of Infinity Reference 5.25" speakers for the doors and a Pioneer DEH-P4900iB for the dash. This will replace my old JVC tape deck, and will give me an excuse to install my new dash fascia and fog light switch, as I HATE pulling the fascia on non-tilt columns. Maybe I will try to fix and install my 3/4 gauge cluster, as well.

I also installed 97+ XJ weatherstripping in the driver's side door, but with a twist. Because my driver's door has had a leak at the front upper corner (which led to the floor issue that I had), I have been using add-on weatherstripping to fill an odd gap at the top of the door, up near the window frame. When I did the 97+ XJ weatherstripping, the thickness of the new stuff was enough to push the top of the door out and make the gap re-appear up at the front upper corner- right where I had the original problem.

To fix this, I used 97+ XJ REAR weatherstripping and spliced in a short section of my original weatherstripping on the hinge side. This allowed the door to close more tightly at the hinge side and drew in the upper corner so that it was tight against the body once again. I have some pictures of the process, but I have not uploaded them yet.

Update: Pictures below.

• 2 weeks later...

My driver's side door was not opening and closing properly (well, more accurately, was not staying open properly), so I grabbed the closer/opener mechanism from an XJ at the JY and figured that I woudl do what I needed to fix the door. I had not looked at the door enough to determine the problem, but I grabbed the whole mechanism, figuring that if I had the whole thig, I could replace what I needed.

I opened up the door panel, removed the speaker, and found this in the bottom of the door:

I am guessing that the problem is explained by the fact that the opener/closer was in 3 peices.

:thumbsup:

A few bolts later, and I was golden.

I also went to the JY (AGAIN) this week and had them pull an updated oil filter adapter and the oil temp sensor. I wanted to be able to run the newer oil filters, and wanted the 90* bend. Since I needed to replace my leaking O-rings, I figured that this was the time to go ahead and switch out the adapter and bolt.

I would have pulled it myself, but I had my daughter with me.

• 5 weeks later...

Update (to keep me straight):

Grabbed the 97+ HO VC gasket. Still need to grab the oil pan gasket. Planning to drop the pan cover and pull the VC, replace the oil filter adapter, change the oil, replace the seals and the mentioned gaskets, as well as replacing the airbox with an air tube and one of the Edelbrock cone filters. I also grabbed a Rusty's TB Spacer for the 87-91 XJ/MJ. Plan to swap in all of this on one long afternoon.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Also installed the Pioneer CD player and some of the window weatherstripping. I still need to do the upper and F/R parts on the driver's door.

I re-used the stock radio bracket, which is a lot more solid than is a plastic kit from a stereo shop. I had to re-drill some mounting holes to get the unit in the proper position (vertical and F to R), and I need to do something to block off the view of the wires, but they are nto visible when driving, so I may just leave them as-is, at least for now.

I still need to swap in my new smooth dash panel, btu I want to be finished with my wiring and gauges before I do that. I need to get my fogs wired up and swap in my 3/4 gauge pack to be "finished" with the dash.

Lastly, I am still searching for the right (price and color) of yellow to paint the MJ.

New pictures:

Infinity 5.25" Reference serise point-source coaxials. I grabbed them from an XJ in a junk yard, soldered new leads onto the terminals, and am just waiting until I get all of the weatherstripping installed to swap these in.

Stock speaker that I pulled out. If you look closely, you can see that the surround is completely gone. I suppose 20 years will do that to a cheap paper cone speaker.

Image Not Found

I also added in a cupholder. I have been using a universal mini floor console that I put on the bench and held in place with the center seat belt, btu I never trust it, especially with large or very full drinks. This thing works much better!

Stock XJ spring packs that I plan to pillage for cheap-o AALs:

• 4 weeks later...

Grabbed a set of factory tow hooks and brackets off of an UC XJ at the local JY.

Also grabbed a Rusty's AirTube knock-off on eBay, but it lacks the proper fittings for the small vaccuum lines. That is what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

I think that I have more parts on the "to-do" list than I have bolted onto the truck.

• 5 weeks later...

I was off this afternoon, and after more than a few weeks with no progress at all on the MJ, I decided to do a few things.

First off, I finally set up the Pioneer HU- clock, general settings, turned off the "Demo" mode, etc.

Second, I finally got around to pulling the stock airbox and replced it with a generic tube intake that I bought on eBay. It does what it needs to do (I suppose), but it is really a peice of junk. I would not buy it again. Rusty's Airtube may have overpriced shipping, but at least it fit right on my 95 XJ. I had to fiddle with this and it is still not how I want it. I am almost embarassed to post pics...

Image Not Found

Look how bady degraded that lower air hose was. I don't know where it goes to, but on the end where it meets up with the engine, it was torn almost completely in two.

How I positioned the intake (for now):

Below are a few pictures of my de-striping campaign. So far, I have about 95% of them off, with ony a little of the far end of the hocky sticks and the "PIONEER" lettering remaining. This was done with the truck in the sun all afternoon, then I used a razor blade and 3M adhesive remover.

It still has some work before being painted.

Lastly, I finally snapped a picture of the towhooks that I grabbed a few weeks ago. Not much to look at.

Image Not Found

For those Tow Hooks, It looks like your missing a few parts... Especially the main Part that runs down the Unibody...

Any picture of what is missing? The XJ is still there to get the part, if I know what to grab.

Edit: These?

Image Not Found

Yes those are the main Structure for the Hooks...

Thank you.

You really need the rest of the tow hook brackets if you plan on using it as a tow point.

Agreed. I won't be installing them without all of the parts.

I had the JY pull them, and I suppose they did not know what all they needed to pull. I printed that picture and will have them go back and get the rest of the parts.

• 8 months later...

So it has been a really, REALLY long time since I posted the last update. A new project car (a 1988 BMW 325 track car) , a new baby (born 12.17.09), and a heavy work load have really slowed me down, but the MJ is still riunning well and embarassing high-priced SUVs and luxu-trucks on a regular basis.

Over the last few weeks, the Mid-Atlantic has seen 42"+ of snow, and guess what truck was the first one to cross the virgin snow (long before the high-dollar Lexus SUVs, HD trucks, and tiny-tired cute-utes of my neighbors)?

You guessed it:

Before:

After:

On the Road:

Path cleared:

• 1 year later...

Bumping this...

After several years of just maintaining her, she went for paint this week. Will post before pictures and more info, and HOPEFULLY some great-looking "after" shots of her.

Went from the garnet red to Chili Pepper Red. Looking forward to the results!

Truck should be done this week...

In the meantime, some post day 1 teardown pics:

I forgot to take any right before I dropped it off.

I need to order a roll of this:

http://www.pack-n-tape.com/cart/3m-0637 ... -case.html

And I still need to figure out my bedliner strategy (Raptor or professional install) and to get a LOT of small fasteners to get the truck reassembled.