My 1988 MJ RestoMod/Tribute (New pics 01.09.12 on p4)

Holy crap your truck is beautiful. Glad to see another MJ that's stayed in the same family. Very nice BMW also.

Thank you!  I have so many new parts for the truck that it is not even funny, but I put so many wrenching hours into the BMW to get it ready to race that I got lazy about the truck.  This year the roles will be reversed- the BMW seems to need only minimal work now that the heavy lift was done last year.  I actually co-owned the BMW until a few weeks ago but I finally bought out the co-owner.  Had I not had to spend $$$ on that I'd have more coiun for other things.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY installed my Metric Ton springs this past week.  All went pretty well, save for the fact that the centering pin on the new springs was too large for the hole inthe spring plate on the axle.

Pictures are worth 1000 words:

The ride seems fine with them, though the rear end did come up just less than 2" with the new springs.  Not sure if it is the fact that the springs are new, the fact that that have the heavier load rating, or both.  I know that they are not supposed to give any lift but my experience was that they did.

Where did you get this lift from?? how much was it?? WANT :eek:

Forgot to post these pics of the ball joint replacement:

Why do the mt springs have two overload leaves on them? Correct mt springs have a single overload with the pack actually making up the difference for load capacity.

Just curious. Where did you get them?

I can't remember the place offhand but it was the same place that made the MT springs with the military wrap for the group buy a while back.

I think it looks pretty good with the minor lift in the rear.  I don't know why but my MJ always seemed to have a minor lift in it compared to other MJ's on the road even when new.  I replaced the rear springs with what I thought were the same as the factory springs but they put some lift in it similar to yours.  But after I replaced the front springs (OME Springs), it gave it a minor lift in the front which balanced it back out again.   I wish I would have kept those original rear springs, even if just for documentation purposes. 

BTW, did they remove the flairs when they painted it?  Mine had rust behind them.  The rust was visible on the rears but not the fronts until they removed the flairs.  My truck is from Indiana though.

The flares were not removed.  I had checked the truck for rust and there is none behind the flares so I had the truck painted with them on the vehicle.  Should I have removed them?  Probably.  But I was behind the 8-ball when doing paint prep (I had scheduled the paint and did not want to get pushed back in the schedule and I only had so much time to finish prep) so I rolled with what I had.

As far as the "rake" I think it might even out a bit onece I install my Nates4x4 rear bumper.  If it does not, I think that I have some ZJ V8 UpCountry springs somewhere that I can use to even it out.