D35 with metal drain plug? EDITED with a pic of it.. not d44

Did any of the older mj's D35 have a metal drain plug? I was looking at mine and noticed it. Just wanted to make sure I know what I'm equipped with. I just always thought that D35's had rubber plugs.

If it helps, I have a 1989 Short Box Comance 4x4, 4.0.

I am for sure its not a dana 44

anyone who tells you that dana 35's only had rubber plugs hasn't had enough jeeps apart yet, or has read about the subject from someone else who is flat out wrong anyways.

non c-clip dana 35's should all have metal plugs, and I'm sure some of the early c-clip ones do as well. rubber drain plugs came somewhere around 1990.

yes, you do have a dana 35. I'm sorry to bear the bad news :ack:

anyone who tells you that dana 35's only had rubber plugs hasn't had enough jeeps apart yet, or has read about the subject from someone else who is flat out wrong anyways.

non c-clip dana 35's should all have metal plugs, and I'm sure some of the early c-clip ones do as well. rubber drain plugs came somewhere around 1990.

2nd

2nd

FWIW I did NOT say that D35s ONLY have rubber plugs, I said if it has a metal plug it SHOULD be a D44. Information you find on the internet is worth what you pay for it....you always have to do a little follow up research. If the OP did a 5 second Google search he would have found the same D44 pics that I found to compare to his D35 pic he posted after I replied to this thread. :wavey:

2nd

FWIW I did NOT say that D35s ONLY have rubber plugs, I said if it has a metal plug it SHOULD be a D44. Information you find on the internet is worth what you pay for it....you always have to do a little follow up research. If the OP did a 5 second Google search he would have found the same D44 pics that I found to compare to his D35 pic he posted after I replied to this thread. :wavey:

The OP didn't have to google search anything about D44's because I already knew that it wasn't one.

Anyways, thanks for clearing up the confusion. I suspected that it was a d35 but I had heard that one easy way to identify them is the rubber plug. Whoever told me that must have either not known themselves or failed to add that some d35's do have metal plugs.

Either way, its a piece of $#!&.

FWIW I did NOT say that D35s ONLY have rubber plugs, I said if it has a metal plug it SHOULD be a D44.

That is exactly what you said.

And it is not correct.

The AMC non c-clip D35s used metal plugs. The Chrysler c-clip D35s used rubber plugs.

Thats right nothing in the jeep world is a sure thing. I have a 89 and a 90 mj both with a d44 dearend and they both have the metal plug that you put the 3/8 ratchet in, unlike the d44 in the pick that someone posted. that plug is an outie not an inie..............

Thats right nothing in the jeep world is a sure thing. I have a 89 and a 90 mj both with a d44 dearend and they both have the metal plug that you put the 3/8 ratchet in, unlike the d44 in the pick that someone posted. that plug is an outie not an inie..............

I don't think the 'outie' plugs are very common. I rarely ever see them. Of course, you must realize, I have an internal hexing plug in one of mine. No, it's not factory, since all you need is the correct sized NPT plug which you can source in just about any style. Anyways, what I actually wanted to say is that LOTS of specifics to jeeps are actually fairly consistant save the occasional deviant. However, given that the vehicles in question have probably had 20 years of hit-or-miss maintenace and the potential for being modified, you will run into different things.

Bottom line - identifying an axle based on the PLUG is freaking stupid.

I don't think the 'outie' plugs are very common. I rarely ever see them. Of course, you must realize, I have an internal hexing plug in one of mine. No, it's not factory, since all you need is the correct sized NPT plug which you can source in just about any style. Anyways, what I actually wanted to say is that LOTS of specifics to jeeps are actually fairly consistant save the occasional deviant. However, given that the vehicles in question have probably had 20 years of hit-or-miss maintenace and the potential for being modified, you will run into different things.

Bottom line - identifying an axle based on the PLUG is freaking stupid.

:clapping: :rotf: jamminz.gif :rotf: :clapping: :rotf: jamminz.gif :rotf: :clapping: :rotf:

image_209027.gif :rotf: :banana: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: