Steering Slop Gone, finally

Steering box had a lot of play in it's input shaft so I replaced it with one out of the 89 XJ (same yaer as MJ) that had very insignificant play. No more wander/drifting on the road now. However, the ujoint is showing signs of wear on the end of the steering shaft. Does anyone have know how or what type of disconnect is on the upper end of the shaft and experience on removing one.

i believe you can tighten the alan screw on the gearbox and it will reduce slop. I'm like 89% sure you can do it on jeeps. you will have a nut with a screw coming out of it, loosen the nut and screw in the screw like 1/4 turn, tighen the nut WITHOUT moving the screw, drive it, adjust as necessary. adjust too much and the wheel will hold where you turn it. thats bad. do it to mine about every 4 months. (70's gearbox on a full size with 35x16R15)

Tightening the sector shaft did nothing for the slop in the steering. It was worn out at the other end of the box. Actually the whole box is due for a rebuild. My experience has been that screwing with the sector shaft adjustment without a torque wrench is asking for trouble and leads to escalated wear-out of the box. Your only temp hiding your problem. I'm gonna take a shot a rebuilding the old one.

I'll agree that adjusting the set screw on the steering box is a "just fix until the new one arrives"

But your original question was, how to remove/replace the steering shaft, correct?

The steering intermediate shaft is held in place with a collar type fitting, that has a screw going thru a notch in both the steering column end shaft, and the steering box input shaft. The steering column must be removed, or backed off to allow the intermediate shaft to "slip" off the end, then the shaft can be pulled back from the steering box.

Also, I have never seen a replacement u-joint for the intermediate shaft, not saying it could not be found, just any parts source I've checked, don't list a part number :dunno:

If you can attempt to re-build your original steering box, I'll commend you, cause a "re-man" steering box is in the $180+ range :doh:

I'll agree that adjusting the set screw on the steering box is a "just fix until the new one arrives"

But your original question was, how to remove/replace the steering shaft, correct?

The steering intermediate shaft is held in place with a collar type fitting, that has a screw going thru a notch in both the steering column end shaft, and the steering box input shaft. The steering column must be removed, or backed off to allow the intermediate shaft to "slip" off the end, then the shaft can be pulled back from the steering box.

Also, I have never seen a replacement u-joint for the intermediate shaft, not saying it could not be found, just any parts source I've checked, don't list a part number :dunno:

If you can attempt to re-build your original steering box, I'll commend you, cause a "re-man" steering box is in the $180+ range :doh:

:agree:

Just be very careful re-inserting the steering column inner shaft into the intermediate shaft collar...it will pinch the shait outa you if you're not careful....ask me how I know :oops:

I don't quite understand..... (big surprise huh?? :D ) The title is what is confusing me. So, is the slop gone???? You have have to take some good pictures of the steering box rebuild. I've seen you do some pretty involved things, so I'm sure you can do it! I have lots of slop in my steering and I'd like to get it right too. ;) :thumbsup:

That's what I was wondering if you were just looking to replace the entire intermittent shaft, or just the u-joints.

I have a couple of intermittent shafts here, and I'm sure other's closer to you have some, or your corner Junk yard........like I said, I could look up the part # of the U-joints, but I never seen them listed on any parts site. Dealer only part :dunno:

I just checked the parts CD, and there is no listing for the u-joints, just the lower (intermittent) shaft, and the only difference is the power steering or manual steering. :hmm:

Steering box had a lot of play in it's input shaft so I replaced it with one out of the 89 XJ (same yaer as MJ) that had very insignificant play. No more wander/drifting on the road now. However, the ujoint is showing signs of wear on the end of the steering shaft. Does anyone have know how or what type of disconnect is on the upper end of the shaft and experience on removing one.

Did you go into the steering box? I'm just confused. :D I'm having the same slop. When you say the the steering boxes input shaft your talking about this??

0501or_steer09_z.jpg

Yes, the clockwise & counter-clockwise play was in the shaft on the end as pic shows below:

Image Not Found

I could turn the shaft either direction a good 20 degrees before the pitman arm showed any movement. Hoping to disassemble the thing today to see whats going on in there. Then I'll start searching for that rebuild kit I seen on the net somewhere.

Yes, the clockwise & counter-clockwise play was in the shaft on the end as pic shows below:

Image Not Found

I could turn the shaft either direction a good 20 degrees before the pitman arm showed any movement. Hoping to disassemble the thing today to see whats going on in there. Then I'll start searching for that rebuild kit I seen on the net somewhere.

Great!! Please take lots of pictures if you can!!! :thumbsup: