Rear Main ?

THE biggest issue will be getting the oil pan off. You do NOT need to drop the tranny, so 2WD/4WD doesn't make any difference. In a nutshell, you drop the oil pan, remove the rear bearing cap, use a BRASS rod to punch out the upper half of the old seal, then lubricate (oil) the new seal and shove it up into place. Replace and torque the cap, with a dab of RTV on the two ends where the upper and lower halves meet,

The '88 used a multi-piece oil pan gasket that's almost impossible to get installed and sealed up. Get the pan gasket for a '95. It's a much nicer, one-piece gasket and it does fit the older engines, regardless of what the kid at Pep Boys tries to tell you.

Two problems I had: The oil pan wouldn't clear(well, very little clearance, I kept knocking the gasket off) the steering linkage, so I disconnected it at the pitman arm. That was even with the axle sagging. You may not have to. It says to use RTV sparingly on the corners. I did, and had to do it over. So, use more, I wound up running a bead all the way around the pan, between the gasket and block. I tied the gasket on the pan with dental floss to keep it on, then removed the floss. I had trouble keeping the gasket from moving. Overkill yes, but I didn't want to do it a third time. Clean the underneath first if you can, mine was a mess. Not really too bad of a job. Good Luck.

I didn't have any trouble with the pan gasket and used no RTV at all on it, but then I had a lift to use at the dealership where I was working at the time.

All good advice has been given already...just one thing to add...be sure you put the rear seal in the correct direction. :cheers:

Hmmm...dunno when you're gonna do it, but I got a petit jusry summons for tomorrow morning at 0900...so I'm outa pocket for a few days.

If you want me to help bend some wrenches for ya - give me a call (you still got the number, right?) we can probably do it later in the week.

You do NOT need to drop the tranny, so 2WD/4WD doesn't make any difference.

If it was a 2.5 he would have had to.

True, but ...

sorry it's an 88' 4.0

Yes, but I didn't know that when I asked about 2wd/4wd. I'm guessin' you don't really mean to, but sometimes your replies make you sound like a d!ck. :dunno:

It's hard enough to follow some of the threads around here without going off on tangents that don't apply to the vehicle in question. Once the OP identified that he had an '88 4.0L, bringing up the 2.5L was just dragging the thread off-topic. I just try to keep things on topic.

I guess it's a failing of advancing years. We olde phartes have to keep things simple so our diminished mental faculties can keep up.

It's hard enough to follow some of the threads around here without going off on tangents that don't apply to the vehicle in question. Once the OP identified that he had an '88 4.0L, bringing up the 2.5L was just dragging the thread off-topic. I just try to keep things on topic.

I guess it's a failing of advancing years. We olde phartes have to keep things simple so our diminished mental faculties can keep up.

i stand behind you and your funny replies :cheers: