internet assistance

89eliminator

i've been having troubles with the old interweb lately. anytime i click on a link, the internet will freeze and i have to end the task. i know i don't have any viruses, so is there anything i can clear or refresh? I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to performance and all that.

any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

i've been having troubles with the old interweb lately. anytime i click on a link, the internet will freeze and i have to end the task. i know i don't have any viruses, so is there anything i can clear or refresh? I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to performance and all that.

any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Spyware/Malware horking up your system maybe?

I'd try Malwarebytes first...it's what we use to clean off most the gunk from many of my work's PC's.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Just a thought

Wade#2

If all else fails and you have XP I find the "restore point" to be quite effective. If you do not install a lot of applications it restores registry settings to the date you choose depending on your hard drive space. You just need to make sure that the date you choose isn't before you installed an application once you restore it will be gone. :cheers:

Ahh this is where my Knowledge comes in..

First.. Malware.. on the right track.

My list o good programs.

Adaware

Spybot search and destory

HijackThis and the "Hijack This log reader"

Spyware Blaster

AVG anti-Virus

That is the "Basic Coctail" I use on most any pc.

If you have some other misc infection there are specific stuff out there for each issue.

Get the software form somewhere with a good rep (I use www.majorgeeks.com) so you know your getting the real deal not some crap that will just do more harm.

This a friend from another fourm's site.. but he has a more or less walk through

http://soldcentralfl.com/flyingpenguin/ ... oval.shtml

enjoy.

After the malware elimination if you are still having problems you can try Codecom's Registry Distiller, which safely eliminates old and/or broken registry entries.

Get it here: http://www.codeode.com/registrydistiller/index.html

Be careful with this one. While it's a good utility and found 724 issues on my computer, it took out one thing that I needed...my Video Decoder. My TV tuner no longer worked for live TV after using it. I fixed it without any major trouble, but you need to pay attention to the instructions and be prepared to handle what may come up as this type of thing is not for someone that doesn't know what the registry is to start with. I use Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and love it as I am watching the Sunday Night Football game while I am doing this on the same 22" screen :clapping: