what gears would it have??

howdy all. i am a newb on here and a have a question about a comanche (my first one jamminz.gif ) that i am buying... it is a 2.5L, 4 speed manual, 4x4 long box, i think it is a 1989 or 1990 but i'm not sure (neither is the current owner :???: ). what gears were available with this configuration, or what would it most likely have for an axle ratio??

i am waiting, patiently :wall: , for the current owner to get back in town so i can go get the truck. but until then all i can do is surf the web and get ideas.

later

-ricky

My 2.5 came with a 4 speed and 3.55.

I put the 5 speed tranny from a 93 XJ in it and the 4.10 D30/8.25 will be going in it in spring.

3.55 with 4 speed (4th 1:1) final drive is 3.55

4.10 with 5 speed (5th 0.85:1) final drive is 3.49

The AX-4 and AX-5 are identical with the exception of the AX-5 having the fith gear. (I know this, having put the fifth gear from an AX-5 into an AX-4 to make it a 5 speed.)

1st 3.93:1

2nd 2.33:1

3rd 1.45:1

4th 1:1

5th 0.85:1

R 4.74:1

The AX-4 and AX-5 are identical with the exception of the AX-5 having the fith gear. (I know this, having put the fifth gear from an AX-5 into an AX-4 to make it a 5 speed.)

Ahah!

You have actually done this? I have always maintained that it's possible, but the shop foreman at my dealership swears it can't be done so I never pursued it. Thank you, thank you! How hard a job was it to accomplish?

Ahah!

You have actually done this? I have always maintained that it's possible, but the shop foreman at my dealership swears it can't be done so I never pursued it. Thank you, thank you! How hard a job was it to accomplish?

I had a thread on it awhile ago but it never quite got finished(the thread)

If you know what you need to do when you get into it, it's actually fairly simple. The splines on the output shaft for the gear are sitting there waiting for you, and the splines on the layshaft are there, but the AX-4 has a round piece of metal in place of the 5th gear, I would assume for balance and a placeholder. That, and the reverse/5th sliders all have to be changed over, but that's easy.

I did screw up two things though, which is why I had to pull that trans. I didn't have the spring/ball setup done properly so the trans could go into two gears at once(happened when I installed the shifter, almost had to pull it again), and it wouldn't stay in 5th unless you held the shifter forward. That was accomplished with a hose clamp and one of those hooks you'd use to keep a door open.

The other was the nut on the back of the layshaft. You have to make sure the crimps on it are set or it will work its way back. I lost 5th before I pulled the trans, because that worked back and the gear pulled back too far to engage.

Come spring I will pull that apart and do a full write-up on it so it can be done properly.

Saying an AX-4 can't be converted to an AX-5 is like saying a 2wd MJ can't be turned into a 4wd one.

Ahah!

after geonovast did it (I sort of "helped" by watching, so I could learn lol), I did this with a 2wd 4 speed that I converted to 4wd 5 speed after one blew (my fault...again) in the 3800.

they're simple trannies, with the only real issues being the springs and other parts in the mid-plate. the shift rods also have to be swapped out for the project, but otherwise its fairly bolt-on.