Dayem Cable TV!

HOrnbrod

Damn am I pissed. We had a scheduled power outage tonight starting 2300 with a predicted 3-hour down time. Our Mom and Pop Electric Co-op had to do repairs on their crappy grid system. The Pavlik-Hopkins fight was to be rebroadcast at 2300, plus I was planning on watching the delayed World Series game three at the same time. So I was all prepared, fired up my generator when the power went off at exactly 2300, all was well for about 10 minutes. Then the cable signal crapped out. The cable fools don't even have battery backup! What a one-horse third-world place Arab, AL is. In fact I had better power whist living in the third world!

Come Monday I'm $#!&-canning cable and getting satellite TV, DISH or DTV. This sucks. What do you guys think of satellite TV, those who have it? But at least the internet is still working.............. :headpop:

Okay - rant over.............

Been with DirecTV almost 10 years now (and had a Primestar dish in my yard before that)....

I've been happy with everthing except the time it is taking to get my HiDef local channels in my region...they have all the largest 100 or so markets done, but I guess we are down the list another year or so. I did get waivers fro national feeds of CBS and ABC, but no other complaints.

Don't go with Dish Network. We've had them for about 10 yrs now. They refuse to upgrade our system (about a 700 dollar upgrade for us) and so as they upgrade their system, we slowly lose more and more channels, and the monthly fees stay the sam.

I've been with Dish Network for 10 yrs and love them. James, how old is your equipment and is it owned or leased? I assume it is owned, but when they went to the dual LNB dish's, i.e. the Dish500, if you upgraded to that you got new equipment. Regardless, you can go on eBay and by newer receivers and even the Dish500 dish if you don't have it for @$300. And I'm talking a current model DVR. Hell, you can get a base level 301 receiver for $50 and you own it. That being said, I bet if you did that then you could turn around and do the DVR upgrade through Dish for $25. Anyway, I believe you that someone told you it would be $700 in upgrades, but I don't believe they knew what they were talking about or that there is not another way to do it. One other reason I say that. I bought, not leased, a 721 DVR receiver a few years ago, one of the early DVR's. Got a letter a few weeks ago saying they were replacing it free of charge with a newer version because the technology was about to go out of date.

Just ordered Direct TV, Charter Cable has pi$$ed me off for the last time. Good package w. HBO, SHO, and Starz at about 1/2 the price of cable. Plus free install on four TVs. Should have done this years ago......

Yeah I agree...after Katrina the cable was down for two months...and Charter just kept on making excuses. We went with Dish and have had no problems so far.

I have had Direct TV for almost 10 years. LOVE THEM!!!

We just upgraded to a 46" Plasma for the family room and I called them up for a HD Upgrade, something like 200 HD channels for an additional 9.99mo. WOOHOO!!!!!

My one complaint is I'm stuck with DSL Internet unless I want to pay for cable TV I will not use!!! soapbox.gifsoapbox.gif Oh well, its not awful but cable IS faster!! :brows:

CW

I had Direct TV for about 5 yrs. I hated it. I live in a area prone to thunderstorms. So needless to say everytime it rained I lost signal. Then the rates kept going up every year. I ended up going with cable, and for the most part I have been pleased especially since I got my interent on it now, instead of dial up. I actually ended up saving money by getting cable.

I had Direct TV for about 5 yrs. I hated it. I live in a area prone to thunderstorms. So needless to say everytime it rained I lost signal. Then the rates kept going up every year. I ended up going with cable, and for the most part I have been pleased especially since I got my interent on it now, instead of dial up. I actually ended up saving money by getting cable.

'

Funny you say that, In my old apartment every time it rained our cable would go out.. :dunno:

I knew when it was going to rain I wasn't going to have net or HBO.. If you have a good cable provider cable isnt as bad, but our cable providers headquarters/ hub place was a little shack with a bunch of sat dishes.. I mean all they do is have a few Direct TV accounts and and a router!!!! :roll:

:D