Front Dana 44

A Venezuelan XJ Dana 44 would bolt right in. But you'd have to get permission from Hugo Chavez to get one out of the country. ;)

I saw one on eBay a while back. I believe it went for about $1500.

Same as a Rubicon D44, without the locker. It's only a D44 center section. The outers are the same as a D30.

Willy

Here is an idea. Build a 4409. Use the spider trax center section 399 +S/H, buy a used center section 50, some gears 199 and some used outer of a d44, 50 bucks. The shafts are what would hurt you. They would be around 700 for a nice set of moly shafts. almost indestructible if you ask me

Is the front TJ DANA 44 axle of the same width (tire to tire) as the MJ DANA 30?

:cheers:

Paul

Yes. My buddy had some 4.56 gears and locker out of an old Dodge D44. Then he bought a new Rubicon D44 housing and put all the internals into it. He's been running it for a few years on his MJ.

And TJ shafts work in an XJ/MJ housing. So they gotta be the exact same width.

The issue isnt the driveshaft.. it is going to be the pinion angle and caster. :smart: Not sure how much lift you are running, but being the TJ 44 is a lp axle, it means the pinion is roughly 4-5" lower then the stock axle. The way to fix the pinion angle is with adjustable uppers, but then you run into caster issues :doh: To me, its not really the best choice :shake: If you are dead set on running a d44 up front, find a 73-77 ford hp44 and have it shortened to waggy width, then run some hi-steer knuckles. For the rear I would either run a XJ/MJ d44 with a set of alloys to give you the 5x5.5 to match the front.

The issue isnt the driveshaft.. it is going to be the pinion angle and caster. :smart: Not sure how much lift you are running, but being the TJ 44 is a lp axle, it means the pinion is roughly 4-5" lower then the stock axle. The way to fix the pinion angle is with adjustable uppers, but then you run into caster issues :doh: To me, its not really the best choice :shake: If you are dead set on running a d44 up front, find a 73-77 ford hp44 and have it shortened to waggy width, then run some hi-steer knuckles. For the rear I would either run a XJ/MJ d44 with a set of alloys to give you the 5x5.5 to match the front.

Call me crazy but I just can't see spending the $$ on the TJ Rubi D44. It's not even a "real" D44. It just has the D44 center, with D30 outers. It's not that much strong, if any honestly...

The D30's weak point is not the center, it's the outers. So going with a TJ Rubi D44 isn't really solving any issues. Your better off dropping the $$ you'd spend on the D44 into the D30 thats already under your Jeep and making it stronger. The end result for the same money will be a stronger axle than the D44 is...

Call me crazy but I just can't see spending the $$ on the TJ Rubi D44. It's not even a "real" D44. It just has the D44 center, with D30 outers. It's not that much strong, if any honestly...

The D30's weak point is not the center, it's the outers. So going with a TJ Rubi D44 isn't really solving any issues. Your better off dropping the $$ you'd spend on the D44 into the D30 thats already under your Jeep and making it stronger. The end result for the same money will be a stronger axle than the D44 is...

I am not certain how often you lead without following, but I remain thankful and far more grateful to those who are willing to follow rather than demand to lead like Hitler and Napoleon. I have done both and the "following" part was much more fulfilling to me then the "lead" part. A world of leaders is a world of anarchy, dude.

Given what LNF stated, is it true that TJ DANA 44s are as thin-walled as the DANA 30? LNF has stated the first that I have ever heard about the weakness of the TJ Rubicon axle. If it is not a true 44, then I am grateful for his info. I hope that someone can either clarify or rebut this issue.

V/R

Paul

I am not certain how often you lead without following, but I remain thankful and far more grateful to those who are willing to follow rather than demand to lead like Hitler and Napoleon. I have done both and the "following" part was much more fulfilling to me then the "lead" part. A world of leaders is a world of anarchy, dude.

Given what LNF stated, is it true that TJ DANA 44s are as thin-walled as the DANA 30? LNF has stated the first that I have ever heard about the weakness of the TJ Rubicon axle. If it is not a true 44, then I am grateful for his info. I hope that someone can either clarify or rebut this issue.

V/R

Paul

Yes, very true.

Willy

Yes, very true.

Willy

I think what he was trying to point out was the tj d44 still uses the d30 outer parts. Not sure though :nuts:

To me the front driveshaft issue is going to be pinion angle vs. Caster angle :smart: I don't know if there is a way to compensate for that much difference with out having driveshaft issues. Anyone in the know care to comment :???:

I think what he was trying to point out was the tj d44 still uses the d30 outer parts. Not sure though :nuts:

To me the front driveshaft issue is going to be pinion angle vs. Caster angle :smart: I don't know if there is a way to compensate for that much difference with out having driveshaft issues. Anyone in the know care to comment :???: