Steering swap

I am in the process of swapping the shift-on-the-column non-tilt steering column with a tilt shift-on-the-floor model.

It was going well until I tried to remove the bolt from the column pinch fitting right outside the firewall in the engine compartment. I can get at the bolt with a socket wrench, but it's size eludes me. I have tried 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, and 13mm, as well as the corresponding sae sockets.

None fit - it's too big for 11mm and too small for 13MM. The closest was 7/8, but it started to strip the bolt and I stopped. It is not rusted, and does not look as it the corners are rounded.

Can someone check this and let me know? I had to re-mount the entire steering column as I could not free this bolt. :wall:

Thanks

Jake

inverted torx that is ;)

Yeah inverted, inside-out, reversed, external, the head looks like a regular bit.

Honestly, I don't know if ya'll are pulling my leg, but mine just looks like a regular bolt - six sided.

Maybe they got replaced. Or maybe the factory used different ones over the years. It very well might take a standard size socket. Our Comanches certainly contain a plethora of different bolt types and sizes.

I have no experience with this job, but if you say 11mm is too small and 13mm is too big,

then this makes perfect sense...

Pinch fitting? As in the splined adapter for the u-joint assemblies in the steering shaft? It's a SAE bolt, head is 7/16. Steering is GM, not metric.

They can be kinda tight, heat it first.

Pinch fitting? As in the splined adapter for the u-joint assemblies in the steering shaft? It's a SAE bolt, head is 7/16. Steering is GM, not metric.

They can be kinda tight, heat it first.

OK - thanks I'll try it.