white smoke

wats possibilty  

5 members have voted

1. 1. wats possibilty

• bad radiator
    • bad water pump

One day was driving and my radiator got hot and started smoking white and then i checked my oil and spark plugs to make sure the head gasket didn't break. And after i took my oil filler cap off and opened the throttle body butterfly valve, white smoke was coming out. Any ideas what it could be? Possibly was it burning oil because it got hot? the radiator pretty much blew all the coolant out of the overflow bottle to the point none was in it.

One day was driving and my radiator got hot and started smoking white and then i checked my oil and spark plugs to make sure the head gasket didn't break. And after i took my oil filler cap off and opened the throttle body butterfly valve, white smoke was coming out. Any ideas what it could be? Possibly was it burning oil because it got hot? the radiator pretty much blew all the coolant out of the overflow bottle to the point none was in it.

umm. call napa get the "is there oil in my coolant kit" and fill your rad up. check it with the little strip. possible water pump but probabally not. one way to tell is before water pumps go they make this fairly annnnnnoying noise that you can't mistake. has it ever made that high pitch noise?

i imagine i did get a little in from when the radiator throught the breather elbow on valve cover overflow boiled over while i was driveing as far as the head i doubt it cause i checked oil plugs and i see no difference in power or preformance i studdered a little when the tps got wet but it runs fine now but still i wonder if thats the case

Depending on where it lets go, a blown head gasket may allow coolant into the oil, or it may allow coolant into the cylinders and skip the oil. Coolant in the cylinders results in white smoke out the tail pipe. The only reliable way to diagnose a possible blown head gasket is a compression test.

You haven't explained where the white smoke was coming from. Ws it from the tailpipe, or was it under the hood somewhere?

Please explain the comment about blowing all the coolant out of the overflow bottle so there was none. That's not possible. Any coolant pushed out of the radiator goes into the recovery bottle. If there's too much for that, then the excess gets pushed out the overflow tube on the recovery bottle. If there WAS coolant in the bottle, and then it was empty, either the bottle spring a leak or the system worked like it should and sucked all the coolant back into the radiator. That could only happen if you were seriously low on coolant.

i installed a new radiator and say that coolant was driping on the headers and on tail pipe looked under and there is a leak some were underneath the engine with a small leak some were it was running along the oil pan from somewere in the front on the driver side white smoke was comming off the headers manifold

Oil smoke is blue, not white. Either you didn't really find the problem, or you're nearly as color-blind as I am :)

Oil being burned inside the engine would be blue, I agree. Oil being dripped on the exhaust and burning could be blue but does look white, IMHO. If white smoke from tailpipe and you have an automatic, possibly the trans modulator valve leaking (happened to me many years ago on a Datsun)