IAC woes ... at least I believe it's IAC

I replaced the IAC back in January because I was having some very intermittent idle issues. Things seemd fine until a few weeks ago and the idle issues started again and have become progressively worse.

When the truck is started...it will rev up to as high as 3500 RPM and will sometimes stay there for as much as a minute if I allow it to and other times it will calm down to normal (650 - 700) in just a few seconds. Usually I have to shut it off and start it again a few times before I can get it to slow down and if I start driving with it at high idle, it typically has no effect.

I took the big air intake duct off of it today and started it up. It immediately went to 2500 and stayed there until I put my finger over the IAC hole on top of the throttle body and it slowed down to normal idle so I know that the IAC is staying open when it shouldn't.

Is there another way to test the IAC itself other than with the testing tool that is described in the FSM? I have ordered another IAC for Monday, but I am only "ASSuming" that it is the problem right now and hoping that it's not the ECU.

I put a new TPS on it too just for the hell of it, but that made no difference at all so I now have a brand new TPS to sell if anyone needs one ;)

Within the last year these items have been replaced...

IAC

TPS

o2 sensor

MAP sensor

Could the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor in the block) be an issue here?

I have not replaced the EGR valve, but that was on my mind. It just didn't seem that it would be a root cause for this issue as it doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold...it just wants to run at 2500 - 3000.

I have taken everything apart and cleaned it thoroughly today, but it made no difference.

I have not replaced the EGR valve, but that was on my mind. It just didn't seem that it would be a root cause for this issue as it doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold...it just wants to run at 2500 - 3000.

I have taken everything apart and cleaned it thoroughly today, but it made no difference.

push on the bottom of the egr when its running. if it moves its good.

and 2X on the throttle body clean. the IAC has its own "port" and it gets clogged with carbon buildup and so you have to clean it. if you use too much of anything to clean the IAC port pull plugs and crank. don't let it drain in the crank. we use break away and a toothbrush at work.

Cleaning has been done as I said above... ;)

It appears that there is no way to truly test the IAC without the proper tool for doing so, so I have ordered another one to replace it again. We'll see what happens. I think I am going to replace the EGR Valve as well...just because :brows: . I'm sure it couldn't hurt after 21 years.

Just a question Brent, Does the shop your at still have a DRB I? It's the real small one that pre 90 Jeeps will work on. There is a actuation test you can do to check the IAC. you can raise and lower the idle with the scanner. If the idle does not change, stuck IAC. I Have worked in Chrysler/ Jeep dealers since 1987. Had to shake the cobwebs out on this one.

P.S. My 88 does the same exact thing.

Just a question Brent, Does the shop your at still have a DRB I? It's the real small one that pre 90 Jeeps will work on. There is a actuation test you can do to check the IAC. you can raise and lower the idle with the scanner. If the idle does not change, stuck IAC. I Have worked in Chrysler/ Jeep dealers since 1987. Had to shake the cobwebs out on this one.

P.S. My 88 does the same exact thing.

I know of that tool, but I don't know if anyone has one at the dealership. I was going to start asking around, but I just took the chance and replaced it as it really seemed to me that it couldn't be anything else but the ECU and that is not likely as they rarely ever go bad.