Signs I might need new u-joints

its very simple to check axle u joints. first take a flash light. second look at the caps and see if they have exploded. youll understand when you see if they are exploded. if they look ok, then if you see and light brown dust on anything or the ears of the axle are tinted then you will need to replace them. next just take your hand and shake the axleby the ears, up down and all over town. if you can feel movement go get some new ones.

mvusse, I never really dealt with xj's 4wd, so I may be just worrying about nothing..

Rob,, no grinding, but a lil what sounds like calipers rattling, or shock knocking..

I will check the axles Fox, hope it all looks good,, I did find a leaking steering pressure hose though...... :roll:

You will get binding and popping noises if you try to turn sharp in 4WD...even if you are on a dirt or gravel road. I obviously can't say for sure what the issue is or may be, but it sounds like a normal reaction to something that it doesn't like to do to me.

Son's jeep is 2wd ,but Ram 4x4 does that in 4x4 on hard suface and it binds much more in low range for some reason, it's alot worse when tires are aired down. Put it on jack stands in neutral then rotate tires by hand ,turn steering wheel,etc...this and previus methods to check u-joints ... but some binding is normal .

Son's jeep is 2wd ,but Ram 4x4 does that in 4x4 on hard suface and it binds much more in low range for some reason, it's alot worse when tires are aired down. Put it on jack stands in neutral then rotate tires by hand ,turn steering wheel,etc...this and previus methods to check u-joints ... but some binding is normal .

yeah the tires need slip so when it hops the tire is essentially doing a burnout. unlike a rear end which squeals a front end has much more weight and eventually the torque overpowers the tire and it hops. kinda cool science but a bugger on the road

yeah the tires need slip so when it hops the tire is essentially doing a burnout. unlike a rear end which squeals a front end has much more weight and eventually the torque overpowers the tire and it hops. kinda cool science but a bugger on the road

Exactly...and remember that using 4WD on surfaces that it is not needed on can cause damage if you don't already have it. It can break axle shafts, u-joints or even t-cases.