%#@&$# (a new one)

mvusse

Sunday afternoon, remnants of Ike came by. Indiana got the rain, we got the wind. It started about 2 pm, didn't calm down 'till 10 pm, with gusts of 80 mph reported.

In short, my street alone ( 3 blocks) has 3 trees down, with about 40 or 50 around the rest of town. This is a town with a population of only about 2000.

After the power went out (6:30pm) we were sitting on a neighbor's porch drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade. No fruity beers for me. No thanks. I'll stick to my Vodka based drinks. Anyway, watching the trees swaying and creaking we heard a loud crack and watched a tree go down. That's when I got the idea of moving the Suburban around to the front of the house and park it on the street under a tree. After finding a neighbor who hadn't been drinking yet to move it for me, we went back to the show. We set up a generator and flood lights to get a better view after dark, and sure enough, about 9pm half of my tree came down. I start cheering.... until someone moves from blocking my view. And the Suburban is still there :cry: But so is my house :D The sucker came down right in between, missing the Suburban by a foot and the corner of the porch roof by inches.

It did rip the electric service drop and telephone lines off my house, which are now draped across the alley with the tree on top. Power was restored about 2pm, and my telephone never quit working, but now I have a live wire in my yard and across the pavement with a tree on top. All the crews were sent to TX, so it's been very slow progress around here. I work just outside of town about 3 miles from here and received word about an hour ago power is still out over there.

And my cable (and internet)? The wires are intact as they run the other way, but service on them didn't come back 'till earlier this morning.

Sorry for the grainy pictures. I took them early yesterday after day break and it wasn't quite completely light out.

Welcome to tropical weather... ;) (sorry, I had to... :D )

Hate to hear of your troubles, but I am glad that your issues are small. Winds like that are often much more devastating, especially to an area that doesn't normally see that type of storm.

Welcome to tropical weather... ;) (sorry, I had to... :D )

Hate to hear of your troubles, but I am glad that your issues are small. Winds like that are often much more devastating, especially to an area that doesn't normally see that type of storm.

Yeah X2 what he said. I'm sorry that you got any damage at all, but at least no one was hurt.

Mikes Hard Lemonade actually says "Flavored Beer" on the label. And Smirnoff Ice has "Clear Malt Beverage" which is a type of beer. So if you like it or not you were drinking fruity beer. I have got into this discussion many times because I have a frien who drinks Smirnoff Ice because he says he does not like beer. I do a little bit of home brewing in my spare time so I have picked up a few useless facts like that.

Whaddayaknow, it does. Still, in Canada it can't be bought at the beer store. You can only get it at the liquor store because it is (according to the Canadian label) vodka based.

I also just now noticed it's only 5% alcohol. It used to be 6.5%.

Whaddayaknow, it does. Still, in Canada it can't be bought at the beer store. You can only get it at the liquor store because it is (according to the Canadian label) vodka based.

I also just now noticed it's only 5% alcohol. It used to be 6.5%.

I've had canadian friends point this out......canadian mikes is vodka based, and even says so on its label.

And yes, canadian mikes used to be 6.5%, I dunno what it is now.

You can tell the differences between the two. Canadian mikes is definitely vodka based.

I had no idea. I wouldn't mind trying a vodka based Mike's. I wonder if it can be shipped to the :USAflag: from somebody in :Canadaflag: ? Nothing huge just a 12 pack or something. :hmm:

I've never seen it in a 12 here. Just 4 bottles in a little carboard thing. Maybe if a guy knew a wholesaler they could get it by the case.

And it's definatly got vodka in it. It says 'An excellent source of vodka' right on the label... I used to drink it, but haven't bothered in a long time. It's regarded as a cooler here - IE b*@$£ beer. So, no macho guy can drink it.

And Ontario has different liqour laws than the other provinces (they're provincal laws... yeah...), so I can buy it at any government liquor store or independant cold beer/wine store (which is a liquor store, but it's cold, yeah...)

I honestly can't even think of what it'd taste like if it's not vodka based.

I had no idea. I wouldn't mind trying a vodka based Mike's. I wonder if it can be shipped to the :USAflag: from somebody in :Canadaflag: ? Nothing huge just a 12 pack or something. :hmm:

It can not be, and fyi for any canuck bring it into the country they need to tell the border agent its for their personal consumption only.