Guage Cluster Question

Is it a direct swap from the guage with a spedometer and gas guage and all the dummy lights, to the guage with the tach and all the other guages?

FYI

Going from this:

Can I plug even for this so all the guages work directly just swiching plugs from one to hte other?

Ok, now yall have me confused....but is there any extra wiring for the tach? or are those wired just hangin out behind it with nothing plugged into it? but yall have me confused about the oil pres. and the temp. how would i get that wired in?

It's plug-and-play in the sense that you don't have to run any wiring. The Tach is pre-wired in. The oil pressure and temp sensor on the engine are just dumb"switches" for the lights and those switches will need to be swapped for "sensors" to get readings on their respective gauges.

NOPE. Gotta change the oil pressure and temp sensor

No, because he already has gauges, not idiot lights.

Read question before answering, Grasshopper.

Boilermaker is correct -- 91 and newer uses an electronic speedo and the clusters do not interchange with the older models using mechanical speedos.

Boilermaker is correct -- 91 and newer uses an electronic speedo and the clusters do not interchange with the older models using mechanical speedos.

In the original question and the pic he has idiot lights. Its a little confusing because he says gauge instead of cluster.

In the original question and the pic he has idiot lights. Its a little confusing because he says gauge instead of cluster.

Good point. I thought he said he has gauges, but the upper pic doesn't show clearly what he has. I believe I mis-read the way he wrote the question.

My bad -- sorry.

Well in that case, how would I hook up an after-market Tach?

It'll come with instructions. You'll need to run wires for power, ground, and then something about a green wire running out to the ignition coil to pick up the signal. Tachs are overrated in my opinion (except in the case of my 88 where I'm using it as the speedometer). More important is to get yourself some functional guages so you have a better chance of catching a problem before it gets so bad as to set off an idiot light.

A Sun Supertach has four wires. Two are for the light. Of the two for the tach, one goes to ground and the other goes to the negative terminal of the coil. Pretty straightforward. But for the price of a Sun tach you can probably find a full cluster with the tach and gauges, and buy the two sending units you'll need for the swap.

More important is to get yourself some functional guages so you have a better chance of catching a problem before it gets so bad as to set off an idiot light.

Thats what I am trying to get is a cluster that will fit into my '86 so i know when something is going wrong

87 thru 90 can also be installed by using an 87 - 90 speedometer cable. The wiring is all compatible, it's the way the cable connects to the speedometer head that's different. Since your MJ seems to have the PRNDL on the steering column, you don't have to worry about retrofitting a PRNDL to a cluster that doesn't have one.

A Sun Supertach has four wires. Two are for the light. Of the two for the tach, one goes to ground and the other goes to the negative terminal of the coil. Pretty straightforward. But for the price of a Sun tach you can probably find a full cluster with the tach and gauges, and buy the two sending units you'll need for the swap.

Yup.

I just installed a Supertach II on mine a few days ago. For a Renix 2.5, the green splices into the green/white coming off the ICM.

I already had the cluster with gauges ... but no tach (giant fuel gauge with warning light/AMC logo at bottom left instead). The tach cost me $20, and I probably could've found a full cluster at the JY for the same price ... but I didn't feel like tearing my dash apart again after finally fixing the rattles. Plus, I just like rockin' that old AMC logo on my dash

jamminz.gif

Will a 4.0 tach work correctly with a 2.5? When I did the gauge cluster swap on my Beretta I had to find the V6 cluster because the tach from the 4 cyl cluster didn't work correctly.

If it won't work then I guess I'll have to live without a tach. I have yet to see a 4 banger with a tach in the jy.

So all I need is an 87-90 cluster...sweet! How do you adjust the potentiometer? Does it only have 2 positions or do you hook up an external tach and dial it in to match?

If the cluster is coming from a 4.0 and going into a 4.0, then there isnt any adjustments needed.

• 2 weeks later...
So all I need is an 87-90 cluster...sweet! How do you adjust the potentiometer? Does it only have 2 positions or do you hook up an external tach and dial it in to match?

If the cluster is coming from a 4.0 and going into a 4.0, then there isnt any adjustments needed.

how about a 4.0 going into a 2.5?