My latest axle build/swap and front leaf conversion

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I would have realized you needed hi steer knuckles :eek: I have 2 sets in my garage. They would need to be machined, but I would have sold them to you cheap

Hey I still need a passenger side. How cheap is cheap? Are they 6 bolt like a Chevy and Jeep? Just let me know, I might be interested. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I just about had it sitting on all 4 tires today. Other than just as I was knocking the front axle into place the hi-lift kicked out.

One jackstand just about went through the floor. Another crushed a rocker. The front tires/springs ate it into the fenders. Whole front end seems kinda screwy now. Ah well. I'll fix it tomorrow.

This reminds me of that robot in that Disney SIFI movie from years back...The Black Hole.

VINCENT was his name and I think Slim Pickens was the voice of one of them...

h_in_black_hole_robots_03.jpg

With those close together head lights...don't ya think??

vincent.jpg

CW

I just about had it sitting on all 4 tires today. Other than just as I was knocking the front axle into place the hi-lift kicked out.

One jackstand just about went through the floor. Another crushed a rocker. The front tires/springs ate it into the fenders. Whole front end seems kinda screwy now. Ah well. I'll fix it tomorrow.

my brother had an experience like that... but luckily no jack stands or anything, just dropped the front end from about 2 ft off the ground :eek: luckily the RE springs caught it instead of his face.

This reminds me of that robot in that Disney SIFI movie from years back...The Black Hole.

VINCENT was his name and I think Slim Pickens was the voice of one of them...

h_in_black_hole_robots_03.jpg

With those close together head lights...don't ya think??

vincent.jpg

CW

:rotfl2:

Pfft!

Once I fix the leaf hangers.

But, on a side note my XJ blew the idler pulley bearing. Then the belt smoked up and snapped. So, it turned a quicky wheeling trip into a bit of a b*@$£.

That and the guy with the FSJ bent his frame, bent both front leafs, cracked the tranny, and burned up his starter.

Thank god for trailers.

Oh, I need a reamer that tapers 1.5"/foot.

• 2 weeks later...

Oookay,

As it sits:

Image Not Found

When I had the axle under it:

Image Not Found

As you can probably notice, there was a slight snafu in the location of the rear spring hangers. Conveniently they were just tacked (and not even straight) so I could whack 'em apart no problem. I still haven't fixed them though.

You can see my new knuckles and steering arms (arms aren't torqued down yet). I plan to build new steering for it using ES2233L, ES2234R, ES2027L and ES2026R TRE's. Hopefully, I can get 1.25x.2XX tubing that will have the right ID to be tapped .875x18 so I can just screw the TRE's in. I will have to look up the correct size for that tap though. Or I might go with tube inserts.

That or I'll build it out of HSS!

Okay, so, I fixed those spring hangers...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I think it looks good. Now just to get some steering on it, and build my @#$%ing rear driveshaft. (My buddy will be doing it shortly) Oh, and some gears in that axle would help... (Another buddy)

As a side note, anybody know of a good way to say, bolt an Impco 300A mixer to a jeep throttle body? Or a throttle body that I can bolt to both the impco and my jeep manifold? The EFI is gonna go...

Oh, 300A's are ment for dual fuel use. It doesn't have a throttle control on it. I could actually mount it to a dud carb if nothing else, but I want a slicker package than that.

I'm might build a TB on the lathe at school... If nothing else. Or I'll keep looking for a Impco 225, as they're a lot easier to deal with.

Keep us posted on the propane conversion. I was considering a propane stroker 4.0 but I'm also looking at swapping in a small-block Ford (propane) to take some weight off the nose of the MJ and save the I-6 adapter headaches.

If you come up with an easy solution, I may be forced to rethink my plans.

What type of tank are you planning on using for the propane?

The reality is that there isn't going to be an easy way to do this. If I was to run a SBC/SBF I could have a propane setup cooking in about 20 minutes. Impco 425's and OHG 450's are easy to find, and often come with the adapter for either the SBC or SBF.

Tanks are still up in the air. I'd like to put 2 in, one on each side of the rear driveshaft. Obviously, the stock gas tank would go. I'm not having huge luck junkyarding tanks that are of the ideal dimensions yet. Although, if I wanted to run a single 200L tank, I could go one right now...

FWIW, I bought a propane tank (it came filled, gotta love the boneyard) and an Impco E regulator witha vacuum lockoff (I'd prefer electric, but, it was a good deal).

I also picked up another renix TB to modify the hell out of to adapt the 300A to. Looks do-able. Might not be pretty. But as my hardcore redneck friend says "Who needs a lathe? You can make a pretty round hole with a hole saw".

Oh, and the D44 goes out tomorrow to be geared.

Still don't have my D44 back! We broke the damn bearing press halfway through the install!

Hopefully I'll get it back by saturday.

Got my fans fixed, the tranny mount mostly working (gotta do a bit more welding on it), and the leaf hangers all welded up gooder. Just gotta do a bit more work on them, and build a driveshaft, and I think I'll be cooking. Unless I'm forgetting things? Oh yeah, the massive holes in my unibody at the front! And I still need to ream out my pitman arm.

My main problem right now is that I can't find the part number for the flange that is used on the rodeo D44 rears. This would allows me to run a spicer 1310 U-joint on my 12B rear. No isuzu dealer in this town, have to make a road trip. Over the phone didn't work worth crap 'companion flange? what's that?' ugh.

I burned in my tranny mount - it seems to be working well. Not that I had enough testing on it yet, as I only fired the engine and ran it for about 20 seconds. That was because I realized I had no power steering fluid :roll:

I also got my e-fan setup together. But, I had to go out for dinner, so I didn't get it wired.

Making the frame, and putting the fans on it. They're Ford Taurus Aux fans.

Image Not Found

Cutting things up so they'd fit. The radiator also had to be moved forewards.

Image Not Found

They're in place:

Image Not Found

I might pop it back out and make a shroud for it out of sheetmetal. At the same time I probably won't because they cover so much area as it is.

Uh, gotta be done by the 26th.

Well, 24th, really.

If not, :mad: and I miss the TOY run. Well, I go to it in the XJ. Yes, it is actually that pathetic of a run. But, I have a friend that has agreed to trailer the MJ there and back, so I can carnage some parts majorly.

Uh, gotta be done by the 26th.

Well, 24th, really.

If not, :mad: and I miss the TOY run. Well, I go to it in the XJ. Yes, it is actually that pathetic of a run. But, I have a friend that has agreed to trailer the MJ there and back, so I can carnage some parts majorly.

nice, snap lotsa pics while you're out there.

how are those fans keepin ya cool? (4.0L right?)

I'm lookin to ditch the clutch fan.. its just robbing mileage and takin up wrenchin space.