Sealer on a headgasket?

I'm about to unfortunatly pull the head off my 87 MJ 4.0 and was wondering when i put it back together should i use any copper sealer on the headgasket??

I'm using the Felpro headgasket part # FPG 9076PT1 from NAPA

have read alot of threads that say not to use anything and just put it on dry...ANY THOUGHTS???

I'm about to unfortunatly pull the head off my 87 MJ 4.0 and was wondering when i put it back together should i use any copper sealer on the headgasket??

I'm using the Felpro headgasket part # FPG 9076PT1 from NAPA

have read alot of threads that say not to use anything and just put it on dry...ANY THOUGHTS???

IMHO: If the gasket has a Blue coloration to the substrate material it is a good quality gasket requires no additional sealer. If the gasket is the general generic all pressed cork w/ a steel insert then lightly coat both sides with this http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-1421 ... 20539.aspx

Just replaced the HG on mine and asked the same question of seveal folks, all said to install dry.

If you look at the new HG, there should be a small slip of paper with it that also says to install dry. I used the same gasket.

Jeff

Hmmm...now I am wondering.

I got a 4.0l gasket set from Crown. It appeared to be a very well designed gasket, with the metal lips around all holes. I wondered the same thing, and ended up going to NAPA to ask them what to do. Everyone I talked to said to use the copper gasket compound. I did. Shouldn't be an issue should it?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm...now I am wondering.

I got a 4.0l gasket set from Crown. It appeared to be a very well designed gasket, with the metal lips around all holes. I wondered the same thing, and ended up going to NAPA to ask them what to do. Everyone I talked to said to use the copper gasket compound. I did. Shouldn't be an issue should it?

Of course they'd tell you that. They are in the business to sell you stuff you don't need.

Everyone I talked to said to use the copper gasket compound. I did. Shouldn't be an issue should it?
It shouldn't if you are talking about the spray on stuff, but no one can tell you for sure. If I remember right, we did use that copper spray on head gaskets back in the day when I was a tech in the '80's.