heaterbox problems

i put a 94/95 xj heaterbox (with AC but AC not hooked up) in my 87 comanche because the 87's was full of mouse crap and that smell never comes out.

anyways, i put the 87 fan in so it had the right connector...it works. but, only one speed.

then the other thing is that none of the vacuum assembly works either...only have on and off, and the only speed that works is 3. it's all coming out of the defrosters.

any pointers? I hate vacuum stuff and kinda need advice.

thanks,

Pat

if it only works on the high speed setting there is a little resistor on the front of the box....replace that and your speed selection should work again...now the other thing is a stumper to me

lol. which side is the front? is it the thing on the bottom behind the switch panel? or is it up kinda behind the knee-board? or on the actual front-front of the box?

its on the passenger side under the dash..youll see the the box and there should be a cover with two screws holding it on..pull that cover and theres a connector and a resistor held in by 2 more screws..pull them and replace

10-4 that's an easy one. i was just unsure because i put the 94 box in, which has a different sensor on it midway up the box...i assume it's an a/c sensor to prevent icing.

fixing the resistor problem right away in the AM. hopefully the vacuum issue is easy too.

yea when i got my XJ the blower only worked on "HI" setting...i changed out the resistor and has worked great ever since

K. thanks. that's my only concern...A/C isn't necessary here, and i'm doing OBA anyways soo yea...

it's all coming out of the defrosters.

Check the hard vacuum line from the vacuum canister (in front bumper, right side), it runs under the battery, two of mine were cracked near that point and they only blew through the defrost vents.

it's all coming out of the defrosters.

Check the hard vacuum line from the vacuum canister (in front bumper, right side), it runs under the battery, two of mine were cracked near that point and they only blew through the defrost vents.

checked. relocated it so yea.

not sure

The resistor part # is 55036000

Comanche Club price = $5.60 plus shipping of $3 for 1st Class Mail. I keep it in stock.

If a dealer is telling you they can't get it, they are lying. Retail on them should be about $8 and they are still available as they fit all MJ's and XJ's 1984 - 2001. The only warehouse in the country showing to stock them is the one here in Orlando, but they have plenty and it should only take 3-4 days for any dealer to order one for you with no additional shipping cost if you choose that route.

The resistor part # is 55036000

Comanche Club price = $5.60 plus shipping of $3 for 1st Class Mail. I keep it in stock.

If a dealer is telling you they can't get it, they are lying. Retail on them should be about $8 and they are still available as they fit all MJ's and XJ's 1984 - 2001. The only warehouse in the country showing to stock them is the one here in Orlando, but they have plenty and it should only take 3-4 days for any dealer to order one for you with no additional shipping cost if you choose that route.

Thanks Brent! Now that is Jeep Service! My brother is the parts guy at a Nissan dealership so I had him call the local Jeep dealerships and they had a different tune with him for about $13. $8.60 is a bargain for anyone that needs one of these, and next time (if it is OK with Brent/Taz) I will PM you for a part.

• 2 months later...

remove the dash bezel and the radio. look at the connectors that are on top of the heater control panel.

there is one on the left, which is to control fan speed.

one in the center, which controls the vacuum valves

one on the right which controls a/c systems.

if you're just pushing cold air this leads me to believe that you are having an issue with the heater selector itself...the hot/cold part, as well as a vacuum issue.

that has yet a 4th connection, which is a cable, that is on the bottom of the heater controls. you will have to unscrew the four screws, pop the upper connections, and look at the heater cable...it may be disconnected.

I'm thinking that your central connection, which is all vacuum hoses, is disconnected as well, or you are not supplying vaccum through the firewall to the heaterbox.

to check if you have supply, look where your heater hoses go into the firewall. there are two vacuum lines going in; one that goes OUT to the switch which is in-line with the heater hoses (this switch opens and closes to allow the heated anti-freeze to bypass the heatercore when the heat is turned off), and one that comes IN from the vacuum system.

also check the vacuum supply from the intake manifold to the vacuum canister.

well i got the heat to work now its only goin through the defrost though i can't get it through any of my other vents

thats cause there is a vacume leak. when a system that is vac operated and its only working on defrost then its a vacume issue. pretty much just have a field day chasing vacume linesand looking for the smallest cracks and make sure they are sealing when they connect.