Action scanner

CEThomas

I am looking at getting a Action Scanner for the garage to pull codes on all the ODB II vehicles I am now working on :cheers:

Anyone using an action scanner, they have scanners that run from $59 to $539 :nuts:

I just want one to pull the codes so I do not have to drive to town to get the codes pulled, I do not one that will pull the codes and cook my dinner ;)

Charles ;)

Pete M :

Thanks, I thought they did. But I want to get one anyway so for times like this ( need to pull the codes now and no dep. money till Friday for the loaner scanner :oops: ) Thought when I finish this job and get paid I would drop the $$$ back into a scanner :cheers:

tjbliley :

Which one do you have??? I have been looking at the Pocket one for $59, the Auto scanner + for $129 and the Elite scanner for $343 :nuts:

I got a Actron 9145 Super Autoscanner which is just one step down from the $500 Elite for $99.95 shipped :D

Thanks to the current vehicle that in on the rack, it will be paid for when I finish up workon it.

I have one that I got from Harbor Freight for $29. Works just fine.

Driving home from Moab last year, my CEL went on. I was able to take the reader from the glovebox, plug it in, and read the codes, all while driving the highway.

For that price, it's worth it to buy one. For those times when there's no Autozones around. ;)

I have a $79 Actron from Auto Zone and a $39 one from Harbor Freight. They both work. The sequence and menu access is different, so if I go back and forth I have to read the instructions, but they both read the codes and clear the fault indication just fine.

Skip the Harbor Freight one that looks like nothing but a digital read-out. That's all it is. It flashes the codes, three times I think, then AUTOMATICALLY erases them unless you abort by unplugging the scanner. Since they now sell the "real" ones with buttons for the same price, the other one is worse than useless.

I have seen many "decent looking" units on eBay that give explanations with the codes (much like the DRB-III units we use at the dealership) for $100 - $150. They would obviously be useless for our MJ's, but anything (OBD-II) 1996 & up it's great for.

I looked at one the other day that the guy paid under $130 for and it read the code and gave full explanation...ie; "code#" = Oxygen Sensor- bank one- sensor two heater failure.

I like this one as it not only reads the codes, but has the manufacturer-specific codes stored in the unit ( do not have to go on line and try to find them ) and will view live engine parameters as well as operating conditions at the time of the fault :brows:

And I can pick up the OBD I cables for $30 and use on ODB I systems if I want jamminz.gif