Parking Brake Cables

I would like to know whether your parking brake cables go into the brake backing plates from the front of the truck or from the rear? I have two 1986 Comanches and the parking brake cables go into the brake backing plates from the rear of truck. I also have a 1987 Comanche and the parking brake cables go into the brake backing plates from the front of the truck. The 1986 Comanches are both longbeds of course and the 1987 is a shortbed. I am wondering if the cables go into the backing plates differently based on whether it is a longbed or shortbed? Thanks in advance for any information and help.

shortbed comanches from front, and 86 comanches from back.

some 87 longbeds also have them from the back, but anything mid-87 and newer should technically have them on the front.

Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. I was thinking maybe someone switched the brake backing plates on my truck from one side to the other which would make the cables go in from the rear instead of the front. How do the cables go in on the Cherokee? Because all of the diagrams I see show the cables coming in from the front, but I think they are showing the rear brakes on a Cherokee because all the manuals cover the Cherokee and Comanche. Thanks in advance for the help.

some 87 longbeds also have them from the back, but anything mid-87 and newer should technically have them on the front.

Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. I was thinking maybe someone switched the brake backing plates on my truck from one side to the other which would make the cables go in from the rear instead of the front. How do the cables go in on the Cherokee? Because all of the diagrams I see show the cables coming in from the front, but I think they are showing the rear brakes on a Cherokee because all the manuals cover the Cherokee and Comanche. Thanks in advance for the help.

i have 3 cherokee rear axles, so I will look in the morning for you :D

i have 3 cherokee rear axles, so I will look in the morning for you :D

Ok, Thanks. Let me ask you one more question. The brake adjusting cables inside the drums. Which side are they supposed to be on? Facing the front of the truck or facing the rear? Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The other question I have is about the brake adjusting cables inside the drums. Are they supposed to be facing the front or facing the rear? Mine are on the front side of the drums on my 1986 Comanche and I do not see any other way they can go being that the parking brake cables come into the brake backing plates from the rear on the 1986 Comanches. On all the brake diagrams they show the adjusting cables facing the rear, but they are not showing a 1986 Comanche. the 1986 Comanches are evidently different. I see no way the cables can be put on facing the rear. Will the adjusting cables work correctly and adjust the brakes correctly if they are facing the front like mine are? Can they work either way? I am just trying to figure out what is right on a 1986 Comanche. Can anyone with a 1986 Comanche look at their rear brakes and tell me if their brake adjusting cables are facing the front or facing the rear? Thanks a lot for any help that anyone can provide.

In theory the the adjusting cable can be in front or rear. Typically, they're toward the rear of the vehicle, such that when reversing the rear shoe becomes the leading shoe and the drum graps it,(definition of leading shoe) which pulls the cable more so that the pawl might move up a ratchet. Make sure the adjuster is on the side of the car so that when the adjusting pawl comes down that the resulting rotation lengthens the adjuster.

That's the way I understand it.

• 3 weeks later...
In theory the the adjusting cable can be in front or rear. Typically, they're toward the rear of the vehicle, such that when reversing the rear shoe becomes the leading shoe and the drum graps it,(definition of leading shoe) which pulls the cable more so that the pawl might move up a ratchet. Make sure the adjuster is on the side of the car so that when the adjusting pawl comes down that the resulting rotation lengthens the adjuster.

That's the way I understand it.

What he said. Mine are both attached to the rear shoe, and when I am in reverse it adjusts the pawl on the self-adjuster. However, I would manually adjust them as snug as you can through the hole in the backplate just to be sure.