Lift issues

I added 1.75" spacers on top of my stock coils with the stock control arms and track bar. I did extend the shocks 2" as a temporary measure, though, and will get longer shocks soon. Didn't set the tires back noticeably, and handles just fine. If you look carefully you can see the front axle is offset a bit toward the driver side, but you have to look and pay real close attention to be able to see it.

If your lift includes adjustable control arms and trac bar, you could correct for it no problem.

If it's a no-brainer, take out the tape and measure it the way everyone else does so we can all be on the same page. Trying to back into it by subtracting a theoretical tire radius, which is affected by tire pressure and given only as an "about" anyway, is not very accurate.

What you have said so far is that the back is taller than the front but you don't know by how much. How can anybody advise on possible corrections with that as a starting point?

I am not looking to get into an argument here. It doesn't matter how everybody else takes a measurment as long as your start and finish reference points are the same. I could have measured from the roof down and still got the same result. Simple addition and subtraction are pretty easy to do in my head. also, I did state that the rear was lifted approxiamately 3" more in my post, not just that it was higher. :wall:

Anyways, thats enough af that.

So I was just about to order new 4" leafs for the rear, but decided to try some 2" spacers for the front first. I am satisfied with the end result and am going to move forward with the SOA. Raising the front 2" dropped the rear by 1". If the 4wd shop that sold me the coils would have sold me XJ/MJ specific coils, I would have been further ahead, but they assured me that they would work.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow. image_209027.gif

I think it will look and perform killer.

its hard on here if you don't mesure like every one else

Thanks,Highlander.

Didn't mean to hijack.

I have 4.5" lift in front.Just went SOA.

Rear is now an inch or so higher than front,

depending on where you measure from. :jump:

I'm wondering if I can get away with a 1.5" spacer

in the front to level it and get a little more clearance

without throwing a wrench in the monkey works.

Rough Country 4.5" lift.Maybe Motion Offroad can

tell me if I'm whacked.

Will watch your thread.

Also learn to read.Highlandjeeper.Sorry. :oops:

In response to mjdoa...

With SOA you 90% of the time need a 6.5" front coil for it to look correct. Now this will vary greatly on if your MJ is a 2WD or 4WD as they used different rear leaf packs. It will also vary based on the condition of your factory leafs. But like I said, 90% of the time you need a 6.5" front lift to level the front with the rear in a SOA situation.

Since you have 4.5" front coils, you can either a) buy a set of 6.5" coils or B) (the cheaper option) buy a set of 1.75" coil spacers.

You did not mention what set of LCA's you had. I would highly NOT recommend running 6.5" of lift (however you want to get it) with a set of factory LCA's. At 6.5" of lift your LCA length should be 17.25". The factory's are only 15.75". So factory LCA's are 1.5" to short; which is a HUGE amount when it comes to LCA length.

And since we're on the topic of control arms, figure I might as well mention the same on UCA's as well. With 6.5" of lift your UCA's should be 15.5". Factory length's are 15". So the factory one's are .5" to short. Not as bad as the lower's but still worth mentioning to set correct pinion angle.

Also don't forget about the trackbar. A factory track bar at 6.5" of lift is a big "no-no". Heck even at 3" of lift you should be running an aftermarket adjustable trackbar. Just make sure your adjustable trackbar will still work with the jump from 4.5" to 6.5". If your not running an adjustable you need to be; they are a lot cheaper than a new set of tires are!

Let us know if we can be of any further help. :cheers:

To Motion Offroad.

It's a Roughcountry 4.5" kit.

Yea I know,I learned that lesson.

LCA's are (i'm guessing) 16.5"???

Track bar bracket drilled and bar moved to

left 3/4".(which I didn't appreciate.On line they

show the kit having a bracket,they quit using it???)

Factory track bar.

Rear was AAL's and shackles,now removed.

I didn't get 6.5" going SOA,I assume rear springs

being 20 years old have sagged a bit.I can live with that.

I probably got 5,maybe 5.5".I'm good with that too.

In fact,it sits very much like Highlandjeepers.

I'd like to lift the front maybe an a inch,but not if it's going to

be another huge expensive project.

BTW,88',4x4,4.0.5spd,30 n 35.32x11.50 Goodyear M/TR's.

Thank you for your advice.

Perfect.I will measure the LCA's and call and order them.

Yer da best. :cheers:

Now,tell me how to stop the wheel hop I've inherited

by going SOA? :roll:

This Jeep is God testing me,isn't it?

No more screwing around:

I picked up some RE superflex adjustable LCAs today and ordered some RE adjustable UCAs as well. Also decided to order RE 4.5" coils and return the Superlift coils. MJ sits good now, but as the coils break in it will probably drop some and I don't want to put more spacers in to correct it. I also picked up an OME stabilizer. Parts should be here mid week. Until then I am going to be busy putting the 8.8 in place. Hopefully it will be ready late next week to go to the alignment shop.(unless I do it myself)

This thing is turning into a better trail rig than originally anticipated, for a lot more money than I wanted to spend, but I am sure it will be worth it. I am starting to realize that when one tries to save some money on this stuff, the costs are far greater in other ways. Just spend the money and save yourself the headache, and have fun with it! If I would have gone this route before, I would have had it running a long time ago.

This thing is turning into a better trail rig than originally anticipated, for a lot more money than I wanted to spend, but I am sure it will be worth it. I am starting to realize that when one tries to save some money on this stuff, the costs are far greater in other ways. Just spend the money and save yourself the headache, and have fun with it! If I would have gone this route before, I would have had it running a long time ago.

OMG...I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard that from my years in the aftermarket 4x4 business and on the Internet...I would be retired right now at 43 :cheers: .

Glad to hear that it's working out and that you are happy with the way it's going.

Got the front LCAs installed last night. Removed the D35 and set the 8.8 in place tonight and should have it bolted up and plumbing done tomorrow night. Picking up the UCAs and new springs tomorrow after work and installing them on Friday. If parts supplier has an Aussie locker in stock, I may pick that up as well as the rear diff is apart right now. If all goes well, I should have it running Saturday and driving it on Sunday to see my new niece .

Also hoping to have a new front bumper built and installed with a winch before Sept.

I recall reading somewhere on this site that RE4.5" coils actually give close to 6" lift. If that was stated, I disagree as I got exactly 4.5" with my RE1310s according to Eagle's way of measuring lift (22" axle CL to wheel well flare).

As for the adjustable CAs, I set the length of the LCAs @ 16.75" and the UCAs @ 15.125" (shortest setting available). I haven't measured castor yet, but these should be fairly close, no?

At the rear of the truck, I sinched down the u-bolts on the diff and hooked up the brake lines. I went to set the truck on its wheels to see how the new coils sit and discovered that the 8.8 has metric studs :wall: . I guess I will have to get some nuts tomorrow. Looks as tho the u-joint is the same from the Exploder flange to the Comanche drive shaft, which is surprising.

I just wish there was power in the shop I am working in. I may be able to get a few more hours in the evenings then. Alternatively, I get to go to bed earlier. Maybe a day or two and I will be able to drive it outside to get some better pics.

I went to set the truck on its wheels to see how the new coils sit and discovered that the 8.8 has metric studs :wall: . I guess I will have to get some nuts tomorrow. Looks as tho the u-joint is the same from the Exploder flange to the Comanche drive shaft, which is surprising.

What is your 8.8 out of? Your u-joint comment points to Explorer. If so, are you sure the wheel studs are metric? Are your lug nuts cross threaded? The wheels studs on mine and all the 8.8s I've seen have a 1/2 20 thread, the same as what Jeep uses on D30s, D35s, etc.

Willy

What is your 8.8 out of? Your u-joint comment points to Explorer. If so, are you sure the wheel studs are metric? Are your lug nuts cross threaded? The wheels studs on mine and all the 8.8s I've seen have a 1/2 20 thread, the same as what Jeep uses on D30s, D35s, etc.

Willy

You are correct. This all goes back to what I said about no power. Threads on the side I was putting the wheel on were slightly fouled with dings and crud.(much easier to see when daylight)

Got the rear sitting on the ground today and didn't like the stance, so I installed the 2" spacers again and things look good. (hopefully I will be done taking things apart and putting them back together again soon). Just have to button up the last few bolts in the front and adjust alignment. What is the spec for castor that I should be aiming for?

As for the rear, I got the new brakes installed and just about completed. Also got the E-brake working. Went to bleed the rear brakes with my lovely wife's assistance and one of the wheel cylinders drained my resevoir. I guess I will be pulling that apart again too :wall:. Just a couple more evenings and I should have it rollin' :banana:

Looks as tho I need TJ flares.

Or just bumpstop it correctly to keep the tires out of the fenders.

Bumpstops? What a novel idea. I didn't even think of those. I think I will try the TJ flares first as I don't feel like pulling the front apart again quite yet.

Just picked up some RE swaybar discos today. Hopefully I will begin my build of a kick a$$ front bumper for the Warn 8274 on Monday.

Here is another pic I just uploaded from my phone.