easy fix or parts truck?

ok a little story, i bought an 87 when i was 16 or 17 like 4 or 5 years ago, i expected it to be my daily driver, first truck, i have always liked jeeps and like how the comanche is more or less a rare jeep, you don't see many all over the place. well i bought it "as is" for 900 bucks, unfortunatly the specks that were posted on the truck were not accurate, "will pass inspection with no problem" realy ment "holes in floor, frame rotted and engine stalls" well i was young and didnt know any better, bondo for the floors, they were small enough holes, and was told that it wouldnt pass inspection unless i fixed the frame. more or less the damage is under the back of the can the frame is rotted out, the whole bottom looks and feels like it was patched with sheet metal, thin sheet metal that rusted away, i realy don't like the seller. well anyway, flash to now, i have found another 87 and bought it, floors are rotted, this time i knew, bought floor pans (thanks Jeepthing07 for pointing me to the site, i orderd full pans for both sides) to fix that, and now i just need to replace the clutch slave cylinder. and then i should have a running manche, finaly after 5 years.

anyway my question is is there any real way to easily patch up a frame? am i looking at a lot of cash to do it? or should i just tear whatever off it for the new truck and have it taken away?

sorry for the long boring story with bad spelling,

thanks in advance,

Jonathan

well if its under the bed, thatn that can come off. i think there are eight bolts holding it to the frame. the gas tank needs to come off too. I'm really new to MJ's, so wait for somone who knows what they are talking about to respond. if its under the cab then i would just cut out the bad parts and try to weld in new ones.

anyway my question is is there any real way to easily patch up a frame? am i looking at a lot of cash to do it?

Jonathan

Considering the front half of the 'frame' isn't a frame at all, its classic unibody. The rear is at best a frame. Its boxed and thicker than the front, but still not quite a true frame. It is quite a process to repair the frame.

I couldn't be bothered to read your post (I'm tired).

But anyways, unibody's aren't a whole hell of fun to fix.

If I have to do another one, I'm bolting the bloody truck to two engine stands (one at each end) and flipping it upside down so at least I don't have to weld above my face/body.

Look through the projects section of this site you'll find photos of the rear with the bed off. I'm told it's a pain to take the bed off- plus you're faceing rusted bolts at the least. There are other threads about taking the bed off...

As for the inspection, we don't have inspections so I don't have a clue. I didn't know they inspected frames- or what they're looking for. Really your best bet is to post pictures of what you think won't pass inspection/needs repair and post you location so maybe someone in that same inspection area can give you more information.

Yes, well I was assuming he wanted to put it back on to pass inspection. :cheers:

And don't forget the muffler hanger and e-brake bracket (at least that's how mine is)

I think I included the e-brake bracket in those 8 bolts. Hard to remember.

And the exhaust, who needs it? Cut it off at the tranny.

Or, you could just undo the two bolts that hold the hanger to the frame. Or is it attached to the bed? Man, it was a long time ago that I changed that. The exhaust was the first thing to 'fall' off.

So, 10 bolts, 2 or 3 straps, and about 15 wire snaps, and a bunch of grunting (if you're alone).

shiaaaaaaaat. please tell me the stalling engine kept it from moving to much.

and we thought my brothers old 84 Grand Waggy woody was rotted.

but if someone can patch together a cherokee and a toyota truck into a Xota offroad machine (search naxja for Xota) it can be repaired. just depends on if you've got a welder and lots of dedication

my two cents

-nick

Frames can be welded, but it ain't cheap. My brother's '93 or '94 Nissan PU literally broke just at the junction of the bed to the cap. It didn't snap in half, but it was definitely sway-backed. He found a local shop that specializes in that type of repair and hed it welded up -- the repair cost him $1800 IIRC. (Good thing the truck is otherwise pretty nice, and runs well.)